When learning to Trot should it be something to be nervous about?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

When learning to Trot should it be something to be nervous about?

This is a discussion on When learning to Trot should it be something to be nervous about? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Canter quote in fun type

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-19-2012, 02:55 AM
  #1
Foal
When learning to Trot should it be something to be nervous about?

Hi im Shenee and was just wondering if I should get soo nervy when the horse gets into a trot?? And how long it should take for me too get used too the bouncing with it and going with the flow of the trot and just get used too it... Is cantering easier or scarier orrr?? Thanks heaps.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-19-2012, 03:00 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
Just try to relax, don't force yourself into doing anything you're not ready for, and listen closely to what your trainer/instructor tells you to do. Both trot and canter can seem a bit scary for a beginner during the first tries, but you will learn to love it. ;) Personally I prefer cantering to any other gait, it is so energizing and more comfortable than trot when you're in sync with the horse, but that's a matter of how the horse moves and of riders' preference.

Also, it might be a good idea to share these feelings with your trainer/instructor, so that you can work on your confidence and balance - there are numerous good exercises for that. ;)
     
    12-19-2012, 04:58 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranda    
Just try to relax, don't force yourself into doing anything you're not ready for, and listen closely to what your trainer/instructor tells you to do. Both trot and canter can seem a bit scary for a beginner during the first tries, but you will learn to love it. ;) Personally I prefer cantering to any other gait, it is so energizing and more comfortable than trot when you're in sync with the horse, but that's a matter of how the horse moves and of riders' preference.

Also, it might be a good idea to share these feelings with your trainer/instructor, so that you can work on your confidence and balance - there are numerous good exercises for that. ;)
thanks Saranda do you have to do the bouncing with the horse type thing with cantering or is it different ? Can't wait till I can start cantering I find trotting fun even tho I can only do it in small amounts its fun but nervy at the same time.. Lol where bouts are you from ?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-19-2012, 05:14 AM
  #4
Super Moderator
Usually you will sit out the canter - no bouncing at all (that's called the rising trot, if you rise and lower your pelvis in sync with the horses' rhthm, but if you "bounce" like "are being thrown all over the horses back", you should consult your trainer for sitting out the trot better and balancing yourself ) :) However, you can also ride the canter in the two-point, but you will have to think about it only later, and I've seen something like rising canter in some riders - I'm not familiar with it, but, if I remember correctly, it is meant to save the strenght for the horse and rider for more challenging races or courses, mostly in English riding - I know nothing of Western. And, as you ask - I'm from Latvia.
     
    12-19-2012, 05:42 AM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranda    
Usually you will sit out the canter - no bouncing at all (that's called the rising trot, if you rise and lower your pelvis in sync with the horses' rhthm, but if you "bounce" like "are being thrown all over the horses back", you should consult your trainer for sitting out the trot better and balancing yourself ) :) However, you can also ride the canter in the two-point, but you will have to think about it only later, and I've seen something like rising canter in some riders - I'm not familiar with it, but, if I remember correctly, it is meant to save the strenght for the horse and rider for more challenging races or courses, mostly in English riding - I know nothing of Western. And, as you ask - I'm from Latvia.
yeh it is more of a rythm thing and syncin with the horse.. Oh yehh cool sooo you stay more in the saddle with cantering?? Oh yeh cool wheres that? Im in australia
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-19-2012, 05:56 AM
  #6
Super Moderator
Yes, exactly. This is a good example and explanation of how cantering works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbbm_U9MdPc

Latvia is a small country in Eastern Europe. However, if you'd like to engage in private conversations about general topics with the forum members, I'd suggest using the private messaging option or joining/creating discussions in the General Offtopic board or others that seem suitable for your questions of interest, outside the topic of horses. :)
     
    12-19-2012, 06:23 AM
  #7
Yearling
Is it possible for you to take a few English riding lessons? If you learn to post the trot it is not so bouncy and you will be more balanced. It isn't fun for the horse to have a person bouncing about on it's back either so... learning to post the trot will help immensely. Also, if you are doing a slow jog trot like in western it is very smooth.

You really shouldn't try a Canter until you can trot easily. In fact, my students never cantered until they were posting without the irons.
jaydee likes this.
     
    12-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  #8
Green Broke
If Shenee is in Australia chances are she is going to be taking English lessons already.

As the others have said, it can be a bit tricky getting used to the trot. Ideally you won't be "bouncing" around but either sitting the trot (where you stay in the saddle) or rising (also known as posting) which is where you stand up a little one stride, and sit down the other. If you're not used to the rhythm it would probably seem a bit bouncy!

A lot of it is just time. You have to ride and practice and then you get it and it becomes pretty natural. A lot of riding is done at the trot so you should get used to it :) Cantering is hard in its own way, and bouncy in its own way.

Where in Australia are you?
     
    12-19-2012, 08:54 AM
  #9
Trained
"Should" you get nervous? In my opinion no. You might though.

Some people find the canter to be scary, mostly because of the speed. Personally I like the canter more than the trot but the trot is very very useful for training both me and my horse.

Relax. If you get scared don't panic. Some people make their situation bad or worse because they panic and stop using the reins because they've got a death grip on the saddle, which ends up letting the horse think he's free, which often makes them act stupider. If you feel like you need to grab the saddle that's ok - just make sure its only with one hand and use the reins with the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga    
Is it possible for you to take a few English riding lessons? If you learn to post the trot it is not so bouncy and you will be more balanced. It isn't fun for the horse to have a person bouncing about on it's back either so... learning to post the trot will help immensely. Also, if you are doing a slow jog trot like in western it is very smooth.

You really shouldn't try a Canter until you can trot easily. In fact, my students never cantered until they were posting without the irons.
yes and I don't literally bounce on the horses back it just feels bouncy cause im not used to it... What is a post trot...? And Qld whys that?
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning to post the trot. HighonEquine English Riding 2 10-09-2012 12:23 AM
To trot, or not to trot? That is the question... Griffith361 Endurance Riding 16 09-08-2012 09:45 PM
Learning to trim Hooves, nervous! DoubleS Horse Health 4 07-15-2012 12:59 PM
Learning to Trot SpiritJordanRivers Horse Training 19 06-18-2010 06:33 PM
Is it correct to sit trot over trot poles? pcmum Horse Riding Critique 5 04-23-2009 10:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0