When learning to Trot should it be something to be nervous about? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 117
• Horses: 0
Congrats that you are learning how to trot! It's honestly what I do the most of! I used to get nervous at the trot too, and since I'm so used to riding the same horse I still get nervous sometimes trotting another horse because it has a different feeling! Just relax. Know that you are riding, having a great time, and don't worry. The trot can be really hard to master, I know that, it took me a while too... but you'll get it eventually and once you get it, you have it, baby! The canter is just faster and feels different, it's a different feeling completely, but you'll get used to that too. So just be patient and know that you are safe :) God bless
hellothere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRISBANE QLD
Posts: 153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
Congrats that you are learning how to trot! It's honestly what I do the most of! I used to get nervous at the trot too, and since I'm so used to riding the same horse I still get nervous sometimes trotting another horse because it has a different feeling! Just relax. Know that you are riding, having a great time, and don't worry. The trot can be really hard to master, I know that, it took me a while too... but you'll get it eventually and once you get it, you have it, baby! The canter is just faster and feels different, it's a different feeling completely, but you'll get used to that too. So just be patient and know that you are safe :) God bless
thanks :) I was trotting up hill yesterday on the trail ride I went too every hill we came too we trotted up really boosted my confidence with trotting :) was so much fun :) I herd that cantering is easier then trotting is that tru or false? Thanks heaps xo
Posted via Mobile Device
Shenee is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South-Central PA
Posts: 96
• Horses: 0
I think trotting and cantering uphill (for me at least) is easier to balance than on the flat. If you have the option to do that along with in the ring/flat ground-go for it! It'll take time to be comfortable trotting. Same with cantering. Try to ride a few different types of horses to get a feel for different types of trots. You might get comfortable on your regular horse, get on a new horse, and feel completely awkward with how they move. You'll find that each horse you ride can feel very different with their individual walk/trot/canter.

The thing that makes cantering "easier" than trotting is the movement of the horse. It's much smoother and fluid than a trot. It's going to feel a lot different than a trot and maybe that you're going super-fast when you really aren't. Try to relax your body to follow the horse's motion and listen to your instructor instructions when you do canter.
Posted via Mobile Device
callidorre is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,180
• Horses: 2
Not sure if anyone answered this already, I just skimmed the first page. This video will explain trotting/rider posting trot. I don't know of any instructor who would not teach a posting trot, so you should be learning how to correctly post from your instructor.
beverleyy is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRISBANE QLD
Posts: 153
• Horses: 0
Ok thanks.. So should I get trotting under my belt first before trying to canter? And yes I feel up hill is easier and makes me more confident then flat ground as well :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Shenee is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,180
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenee View Post
Ok thanks.. So should I get trotting under my belt first before trying to canter? And yes I feel up hill is easier and makes me more confident then flat ground as well :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Definitely get your trot down before canter. IMHO, you should be able to sit your trot, as well as post correctly before cantering. Trotting without stirrups will help build muscle as well.
beverleyy is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,168
• Horses: 5
In my experience, the biggest obstacle that people face when starting to trot is that they have read and heard how hard it is to sit a trot. Riding a horse at any gait is all about core strength for balance and relaxing your lower body (hips and legs). The more you "think", the more tense and rigid your body will be, and you're guaranteed a rough ride.
Remember learning to ride a bicycle? Thinking how hard it would be to keep your balance? Once you got past that stage, you ride a bicycle without thinking twice about it. Same way with riding a horse.
Take a couple deep breaths, relax, stop thinking, let your body naturally follow the motion of the horse, and enjoy the ride.

On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
PaintHorseMares is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRISBANE QLD
Posts: 153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares View Post
In my experience, the biggest obstacle that people face when starting to trot is that they have read and heard how hard it is to sit a trot. Riding a horse at any gait is all about core strength for balance and relaxing your lower body (hips and legs). The more you "think", the more tense and rigid your body will be, and you're guaranteed a rough ride.
Remember learning to ride a bicycle? Thinking how hard it would be to keep your balance? Once you got past that stage, you ride a bicycle without thinking twice about it. Same way with riding a horse.
Take a couple deep breaths, relax, stop thinking, let your body naturally follow the motion of the horse, and enjoy the ride.
ok thanks heaps for that hint sounds good :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Shenee is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRISBANE QLD
Posts: 153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
Definitely get your trot down before canter. IMHO, you should be able to sit your trot, as well as post correctly before cantering. Trotting without stirrups will help build muscle as well.
ok so once I know how too trot you suggest I trot without stirrups?
Posted via Mobile Device
Shenee is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,180
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenee View Post
ok so once I know how too trot you suggest I trot without stirrups?
Posted via Mobile Device
Once you can post correctly, yes trotting without stirrups can help you build muscle you need. Or trotting bareback.
Posted via Mobile Device
beverleyy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning to post the trot. HighonEquine English Riding 2 10-08-2012 11:23 PM
To trot, or not to trot? That is the question... Griffith361 Endurance Riding 16 09-08-2012 08:45 PM
Learning to trim Hooves, nervous! DoubleS Horse Health 4 07-15-2012 11:59 AM
Learning to Trot SpiritJordanRivers Horse Training 19 06-18-2010 05:33 PM
Is it correct to sit trot over trot poles? pcmum Horse Riding Critique 5 04-23-2009 09:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome