Whiskers?! This one has been bothering me... - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Whiskers?! This one has been bothering me...

This is a discussion on Whiskers?! This one has been bothering me... within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree33Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
      #21
    CCH
    Weanling
    I don't do any bridle paths. I think they look awful if they aren't kept up. Plus they always look too long or accidentally get shaved too far. One of my poor boys ended up with a Moe hairdo after he jerked awake from snoozing while I was clipping. That was over 15 years ago, and I have not shaved a bridle path since. I much prefer to train some mane hair to go forward into the forelock. This way it doesn't get tangled in the bridle or halter. The tack just sits on top of the flat hair.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CCH    
    I don't do any bridle paths. I think they look awful if they aren't kept up. Plus they always look too long or accidentally get shaved too far. One of my poor boys ended up with a Moe hairdo after he jerked awake from snoozing while I was clipping. That was over 15 years ago, and I have not shaved a bridle path since. I much prefer to train some mane hair to go forward into the forelock. This way it doesn't get tangled in the bridle or halter. The tack just sits on top of the flat hair.
    Yeah I'm trying to let my guys BP grow out......it's in that fugly stage right now
         
        03-05-2013, 06:42 PM
      #23
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
    Lol I'm trying (have tried) to get my girl used to clippers, but I just could never get the nerve up to actually use them on her...so I mostly just turn the clippers ON then let it vibrate next to her skin. No bridle path either.... I just let the hair grow. XD
    I've tried to get Aires to accept the clippers for two years with no luck. It's gotten to the point where he even hates the sight of the clippers. Thing is, I've never actually DONE anything to him with the clippers. Last time I brought the clippers out, I got within striking distance and the little bugger actually pawed at me (clipped my thigh with his hoof, too...you can bet we had a "come to Jesus" meeting right there in front of the barn where everyone could see).
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
      #24
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
    I've tried to get Aires to accept the clippers for two years with no luck. It's gotten to the point where he even hates the sight of the clippers. Thing is, I've never actually DONE anything to him with the clippers. Last time I brought the clippers out, I got within striking distance and the little bugger actually pawed at me (clipped my thigh with his hoof, too...you can bet we had a "come to Jesus" meeting right there in front of the barn where everyone could see).
    Posted via Mobile Device
    A Draft cross "pawing" does not sound like a fun time IMO lol

    Kiera and I had a conversation the day she decided to kick me for cold hosing her nipples during a bath. Lovely bruise, considering she only weighed probably 8 or 900 pounds.
         
        03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
      #25
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    Oh.....that's reassuring! oh you said bute.....thought you meant boot!
    You'd like that one!
    Muppetgirl likes this.
         
        03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
      #26
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
    A Draft cross "pawing" does not sound like a fun time IMO lol

    Kiera and I had a conversation the day she decided to kick me for cold hosing her nipples during a bath. Lovely bruise, considering she only weighed probably 8 or 900 pounds.
    I was lucky my best friend was holding him because I went down. Hit me in the right thigh, right above my knee, and my leg just collapsed. Had a lovely 5" bruise for a couple of weeks. Let's just say that he's never even thought about pawing again.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
      #27
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    Yeah. Allowing bute.
    So does the Equine Canada and all it's affliates, it's not a banned substance.
         
        03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
      #28
    Yearling
    While my gelding was in training he had his whiskers clipped. Partially because my trainer is a show trainer and that's what they do, and because we were working on getting him used to clippers and needed something to clip! He was stalled with daily turnout while he was there and didn't have much time for mischief, so it really didn't matter. He didn't seem to care.

    I don't do it because I am lazy and he is a pasture kept trail pony in training. No reason to.
    demonwolfmoon likes this.
         
        03-05-2013, 07:00 PM
      #29
    Started
    I don't shave them completely. I do however trim them down to about an inch or so. I leave my horses out 24/7 in the summer and want my girl to have her feelers.

    Regarding bute. Bute is allowed at a low maintenance dose. Its the same as an athlete taking an advil.
         
        03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
      #30
    Trained
    Yep NB, it's stacking that is not allowed, meaning several drugs being used at the same time.
    NBEventer likes this.
         

    Tags
    questions, science, whiskers

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Something has been bothering me paintluver Horse Talk 20 06-26-2012 12:18 PM
    My horse's left side is bothering him... McuesHiSierra Horse Health 2 06-24-2012 10:02 AM
    Sorry if I am bothering anyone Dartanion Trail Riding 6 01-29-2009 01:42 PM
    bothering me a bit... NicoleS11 General Off Topic Discussion 12 12-18-2008 02:14 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0