Why are horse people often expected to work for free?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Why are horse people often expected to work for free?

This is a discussion on Why are horse people often expected to work for free? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Expected to work for free
  • Working student worth horses it

Like Tree30Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  #1
Yearling
Why are horse people often expected to work for free?

I'm curious about this. It seems like most of the job offers I see within the industry are looking for people who are skilled with horses but that are willing to work for no compensation as if working around horses isn't demanding of a lot of time, physical effort, and hard-earned skills. A lot of these ads aren't looking for greenhorns either but people will experience.

What the heck is up with that?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  #2
Showing
I'm not sure where you're seeing all these ads for free labor, because there's always some sort of compensation being offered. Not enough to support my particular lifestyle, but for someone young and unencumbered with a mortgage, they might work out.
kitten_Val and stephshark like this.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
I'm not sure where you're seeing all these ads for free labor, because there's always some sort of compensation being offered. Not enough to support my particular lifestyle, but for someone young and unencumbered with a mortgage, they might work out.
Mostly bayequest.com. That's the local big equestrian site for my area. Where do you live that all the jobs pay? Back in the day in Florida I never worked for free but out here it seems like most of the ads are called 'working student' as if everyone who owns a barn and some horses is such a great teacher that working for them for nothing is totally worth it.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  #4
Green Broke
I don't know what min wage is over there, but over here, an hour private lesson is usually about the same price as 5 or 6 hours work would earn you.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  #5
Showing
I'm in VA. Any barn that's advertising for help always has a compensation package listed.

We have some really big training barns in this area, especially since Middleburg, The Plains, Charlottesville, and Lexington are all part of the higher end showing venues.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
  #6
Green Broke
VA area barns still offer "working student" jobs and live in jobs with very little cash. I see the same thing when I look around - Maryland too. They always want 6 days a week, super long days, lots of experience and most will give a place to live, board for one horse and 1-200 a week in "salary".
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
I don't know what min wage is over there, but over here, an hour private lesson is usually about the same price as 5 or 6 hours work would earn you.
5 or 6 hours of your labor for one hour on their horse..oh sign me up!
     
    07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  #8
Showing
I didn't say they offered a living wage, but they do offer some sort of compensation package. I'd never do it, but there are obviously people who will.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
  #9
Showing
I see the occasional "working student" ad, here they are exactly what it sounds like. Someone to work under a trainer and do the grunt work in exchange for room & board but mostly for the learning experience. They can then take that knowledge gained and start their own training business or work as the trainer at an established barn.
smrobs, COWCHICK77, bsms and 3 others like this.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:22 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
VA area barns still offer "working student" jobs and live in jobs with very little cash. I see the same thing when I look around - Maryland too. They always want 6 days a week, super long days, lots of experience and most will give a place to live, board for one horse and 1-200 a week in "salary".
Posted via Mobile Device
I see a lot of this too. It's unfortunate for those of us who have a place to live and no horse to board.
stephshark likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What has your horse done that you never expected? kiwigirl Horse Talk 6 02-17-2012 10:41 AM
Lunging -Vs- Free Work QHriderKE Horse Training 9 09-02-2011 12:38 PM
Would you ever have expected... aspin231 Horse Riding Critique 11 04-02-2010 09:21 PM
Since when did people stop liking to work? justsambam08 Horse Talk 14 12-06-2009 02:12 PM
Better than expected wanderlust Horse Riding 4 01-09-2009 03:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0