Why are riding pants so tight? (Bear with me) - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 188Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 5,558
• Horses: 1
The benefits of breeches:

* Free, comfortable movement with no rubbing and chafing, and, in case of full-seat breaches - added stickability, if needed.
* Very comfortable to wear under chaps or long boots.
* Prevention of catching yourself in the tack, prevention of getting pinched by the stirrup leathers;
* In training, the trainer can observe much easily everything that's going on with the riders' legs in nuanced details.

And the people who look stylish in breeches are really the minority!

I love my breeches. I've got three pairs of them. Not that I can't ride in other clothing, it's just the most comfortable option I've found. ;)

Last, but not least, wearing clean and proper riding attire is a sort of tradition and a sign of respect towards your trainer in many classical riding schools in Europe. You may wear whatever you prefer at home, be it a kilt, or a pair of worn and muddy jeans on a rainy day, if you please, but out of respect of the equestrian world one is a part of, it is expected to be able to follow the tradition. It's just like everyone understands that wearing a pair of muddy jeans is not acceptable if you're going to an official business meeting or something like that.

I have come a long way, to surrender my shadow to the shadow of my horse.
/James Wright/

Last edited by Saranda; 10-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Saranda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,847
• Horses: 4
"Never had the problem before, so I guess my style of riding has changed since I was 12. My friend used to ride in shorts/half chaps all the time, and now she can't without getting rubbed. What you may scoff at as being purely "looks or fashion" may be extremely practical for some people."

I guess my question is what are you & your friend doing differently, and why are you doing it?

On a serious level, is there something about how SOME people ride that results in chaffing and irritation in loose clothing when OTHERS never experience a problem? And if so, is it the clothing that is to blame, or the riding?

The only time I've had problems with stirrup leathers rubbing or pinching was with 2.5" Australian leathers when learning to canter.

Folks can wear whatever they want. I'm all for comfort. But the idea that very tight clothing is a REQUIREMENT seems a big stretch to me. There are just too many others riding English/Australian in jeans or sweatpants without a problem. If jeans CAUSED rubbing or chaffing, then my legs would have no skin by now.

"There goes Earl!"
bsms is offline  
post #23 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 5,558
• Horses: 1
bsms, some people just have more sensitive skin than others, and it can be chaffed more easily.

But wearing tight clothing (by the way, it's not really TIGHT, it's just ELASTIC and fits comfortably) is by all means not a requirement. Just a logical choice for many riders.
bsms and Yogiwick like this.

I have come a long way, to surrender my shadow to the shadow of my horse.
/James Wright/
Saranda is offline  
post #24 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodinville, Washington
Posts: 1,203
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post

Folks can wear whatever they want. I'm all for comfort. But the idea that very tight clothing is a REQUIREMENT seems a big stretch to me. There are just too many others riding English/Australian in jeans or sweatpants without a problem. If jeans CAUSED rubbing or chaffing, then my legs would have no skin by now.
I don't think anyone ever said it was a requirement to wear breeches or that they were the only pants that wouldn't cause rubbing. The OP wanted to know why riding pants were so tight, so people have listed the benefits of tight riding breeches and stated why they are not just fashionable. They REALLY aren't fashionable on most people... Sure, skinny teens-young adult females maybe, but there is a large variety of people who ride in breeches.

If you are comfortable riding in jeans, then ride in them. If you are comfortable riding in breeches or anything else, then ride in those. For many people, jeans do in fact rub. I don't think it's necessarily caused by the way you ride (though for some people it may be) but more how easily irritated or thin your skin is. Some people can't wear certain fabrics because they are too itchy and give them rashes or can't stand tags in their clothes. It's not about how they walk or sit or anything else that they are doing wrong, just that their skin can't take it.
TessaMay is offline  
post #25 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodinville, Washington
Posts: 1,203
• Horses: 0
Aaaaand Saranda got there first
TessaMay is offline  
post #26 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 5,558
• Horses: 1
High five, Tessa.
(I'm among those who get really rubbed by jeans, so I never wear them for longer rides. Also, I hate the feeling of noticeable seams against my skin, so that's another reason why I rather choose breeches.)

I have come a long way, to surrender my shadow to the shadow of my horse.
/James Wright/
Saranda is offline  
post #27 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,428
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
No bsms, it ISN'T for looks.

I've ridden English my entire riding life, and can tell you from experience that loose fabric = rubs/burns, while tighter fabrics mean less of them.

Very few people look good in breeches, so you stating it's all for looks is ridiculous. When I wear breeches my butt looks like two overweight bulldog puppies fighting under a rug, so I hardly think it's because I look fabulous.

Those flared breeches were a lot tighter than they looked, by the way.
No, the "flared" breeches are not tight (unless you're wearing a pair of tights underneath)

The tight pants have to be for looks. I've been riding for ...well, a long time (haven't hit 5 decades YET, but it's getting close) and it's the only thing that makes sense. The lady who taught me to ride back in the 60's sure looked great in her tight riding pants . Ever ask yourself why it's all the women who are in those tight pants ......(maybe because they look good in them ). Most of the men are in loose pants for riding.

If tight pants were so comfortable you'd see everyone wearing them, not just the folks doing shows or certain disciplines. That's why Cav and people who work from a saddle riding 20-30 miles a day for 5 or more days a week wear looser pants. Many of us tried tighter, nicer looking pants, (girls like the cowboy in tight jeans look) but it didn't take a week in the saddle to realize that all the older guys weren't kidding when they said "get some loose jeans or (even better) you're dad's old khakis if you can or you will be sorry" It was the tight pants that chafed and rubbed Nothing like having to Vaseline the spots inside your thighs so you can work day three, now in loose pants, because you didn't catch what was happening until you were already into day 2 still wearing pants that were too tight when you started to feel it (a bit like a blister....by the time you feel in forming it's too late)

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #28 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranda View Post
High five, Tessa.
(I'm among those who get really rubbed by jeans, so I never wear them for longer rides. Also, I hate the feeling of noticeable seams against my skin, so that's another reason why I rather choose breeches.)
Used to wear them all the time...but find them restrictive now which is odd as I'm sure my modern jeans are stretchier. I find it harder to get right down into a deep seat with jeans on.

But I enjoyed not having to change into jods to ride, just jump on and go! I didn't even own any half chaps.

bsms, Saranda, boots and 1 others like this.
Clava is offline  
post #29 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Coastal Maine
Posts: 901
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
If you say so...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back when these photos were taken, they didn't have all the stretchy materials that we have today, so they had to be baggy where the butt and thighs are, to allow for movement, but tighter on the calves to fit into boots. I prefer to ride in jeans because I look worse in breeches (two bulldogs tussling does sound about right: maybe two elephants head butting each other) but honestly, for anything other than trail riding, breeches or chaps help me ride WAY better. WAY better!
Allison Finch and StormCloud like this.
Captain Evil is offline  
post #30 of 155 Old 10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,428
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranda View Post

Last, but not least, wearing clean and proper riding attire is a sort of tradition and a sign of respect towards your trainer in many classical riding schools in Europe. You may wear whatever you prefer at home, be it a kilt, or a pair of worn and muddy jeans on a rainy day, if you please, but out of respect of the equestrian world one is a part of, it is expected to be able to follow the tradition. It's just like everyone understands that wearing a pair of muddy jeans is not acceptable if you're going to an official business meeting or something like that.
I was taught to ride in Germany back in the 60's and none of the boys (small group and mostly, 75%, boys) wore the tight riding breeches. Only the girls.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding pants SEAmom Horse Talk 11 08-25-2013 10:43 AM
Riding pants firefly1 Horse Talk 1 03-02-2013 03:45 PM
Riding pants mtngrl7500 Horse Talk 20 02-03-2013 12:26 PM
Riding pants? Calmwaters Horse Show Clothing 12 09-15-2011 09:14 PM
Riding pants Appy Luvr Horse Tack and Equipment 2 11-02-2009 06:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome