WHY?!?!?!?! Some people! Seriously!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

WHY?!?!?!?! Some people! Seriously!

This is a discussion on WHY?!?!?!?! Some people! Seriously! within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Why are some people serious

Like Tree30Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-09-2012, 02:21 PM
  #1
Green Broke
WHY?!?!?!?! Some people! Seriously!

So cruising the classifieds I stumble across this beauty of an ad...

All I want to do is scream kick and throw things. There are SO MANY foals out there with no pedigree and no good homes. Why would we need to add another to the mix? Why not just buy one if you don't care what it does? Seriously. Someone stop me from emailing this person and chewing them out.


They didn't post any pictures of the mare. The ad contains a million pictures of different horses in every colour, breed and discipline. *sigh*



Quote:
Hello there I am looking to find a brilliant stud to breed my mare to. This will be a one time thing, as I just want the foal to raise and train. I am looking for something with loads of height, a solid build, and beauty. Disposition isnt a huge thing for me because I enjoy horses with different personalities. So im looking for
·15.3 hands plus more around the 16.3 region..but can make exeptions..
·great conformation
·sport/athetic ability
·Good looks
·doesnt need to be registered as my mare isn't.
·I will need lots of pictures.and/or videos
Im not looking for a show horse or something that is expensive to breed my mare to. If you have a Standardbred/thouroughbred/warmblood/paint/appalossa/( very open to others, just message me with details. Also I would like this breeding to be 100-150$ if you know of anyone who has a stallion or have one yourself that you think fits the criteria please get ahold of me...thank you so much
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
  #2
Yearling
Seriously? I would say go ahead and E-mail her/him but then, I am a hopeless enabler. Maybe find a few ads of foals for sale cheap and send them to her/him. If they just want to raise a foal, there are a ton of them on the groun already with out homes.
     
    10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  #3
Banned
Sounds like a kid 'wish breeding', NB.

I like how they want fantastic conformation, quality performance abilities and stellar looks, but don't want to pay more than $150 for the stud fee. BAAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!
     
    10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Sounds like a kid 'wish breeding', NB.

I like how they want fantastic conformation, quality performance abilities and stellar looks, but don't want to pay more than $150 for the stud fee. BAAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!
I know right? Lol. I was stallion shopping recently and even the horribly put together mules in redneck BillyBobJoJo's back yard were in the $300 range.

I am really tempted to email them and be like "if you can only afford $150 stud fee, what are you going to do about vet care? Feed? What about when baby is weaned?"

Where is the bashing head off brick wall emot when you need it *sigh*
     
    10-09-2012, 02:42 PM
  #5
Trained
This, unfortantely, is.probably a never ending problem. People like this do not see how the horse economy really is because they have nothing invested it, therefore nothing to lose.
The day my stallion only produces $150 foals is the day his nuts go.
Super frustrating circle, this one....
     
    10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSArabians    
This, unfortantely, is.probably a never ending problem. People like this do not see how the horse economy really is because they have nothing invested it, therefore nothing to lose.
The day my stallion only produces $150 foals is the day his nuts go.
Super frustrating circle, this one....
Call me snobby but... I wont even look at a stallion with a stud fee under $600 for live cover, as a local stallion. I know the price of the stud fee doesn't make the stallion. But generally if there is a higher price for a stud fee, its because its a nice quality stallion.

I don't believe you should breed unless you have at least $5000 to invest into the breeding. Not including the stud fee. Vet fees, feed and a buffer for emergency vet fees, because you never know what is going to happen.

And PLEASE don't breed just because you want a baby out of your super special forever heart mare! Breed for quality.

/end rant
     
    10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
  #7
Banned
By the way NB, love your avatar. Just wondering where you got a picture of my Mack when I've asked him to get on the trailer!
nuisance and freia like this.
     
    10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
By the way NB, love your avatar. Just wondering where you got a picture of my Mack when I've asked him to get on the trailer!
I am super ninja spy... I troll around the homes of people on forums and stir trouble to take pictures for my own amusement and make them into avatars
     
    10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer    
Call me snobby but...
OK - you are snobby.

I hate to tell you, but the person that ran the ad has just as much right to breed as you do, I do, or anyone else does.

While I am an advocate of responsible breeding, I also recognize the right of people to breed what they want. This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" things...no matter how high you think your standards are, there are others with higher standards than yours...how would you like someone to preach to you about what they perceive as YOUR poor breeding standards - or tell you what to wear or what to eat or how to live?

It is incumbent upon those of us that are experienced breeders to educate people and encourage people to breed responsibly - to coerce and nudge them in the right direction. But it is NOT incumbent upon us to "chew them out" - they are within their rights just as much as you.

Oh, and by the way - the amount of a stud fee does not define the quality of a stallion or its suitability for a particular mare. There are lots of perfectly good stallions with very modest stud fees, and there are lots of stallions with high fees that are nothing more than legends in their owners' eyes, a desireable color, or have a champion sire or dam while they themselves are mediocre at best...
Kayella and SaddleStrings like this.
     
    10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
OK - you are snobby.

I hate to tell you, but the person that ran the ad has just as much right to breed as you do, I do, or anyone else does.

While I am an advocate of responsible breeding, I also recognize the right of people to breed what they want. This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" things...no matter how high you think your standards are, there are others with higher standards than yours...how would you like someone to preach to you about what they perceive as YOUR poor breeding standards - or tell you what to wear or what to eat or how to live?

It is incumbent upon those of us that are experienced breeders to educate people and encourage people to breed responsibly - to coerce and nudge them in the right direction. But it is NOT incumbent upon us to "chew them out" - they are within their rights just as much as you.

Oh, and by the way - the amount of a stud fee does not define the quality of a stallion or its suitability for a particular mare. There are lots of perfectly good stallions with very modest stud fees, and there are lots of stallions with high fees that are nothing more than legends in their owners' eyes, a desireable color, or have a champion sire or dam while they themselves are mediocre at best...
I already said the price of the stud fee does not indicate the quality of the stallion and how it will match with a mare. I know all about it. I worked at a breeding barn. However, you also get what you pay for. Chances are if a stallion is $100 stud fee, its not something that should be reproducing.

Now this does not mean that the stallion with the $1000 stud fee is quality either. But there is a chance its going to be a better quality.

The number one thing should be "is this stallion going to better my mare?" Is his conformational strong points going to better the flaws in my mare? Are his weak spots my mares strong spots? Then it should be temperment and the list goes on.

I don't believe in breeding for the sake of breeding. I don't think you should go grab jo blows stallion and match it with mary lou's mare while neither are suitable for breeding.

I breed for quality. Not because I want a baby out of my super awesome perfect heart horse who I will love for ever and ever!

I say I want to "chew the mare owner out". But it doesn't mean I would email them telling them they are stupid and horrible. IF I were to say anything it would be a nice polite email explaining why this could be considered a bad decision and that if they want a foal to raise and train there are thousands of them out there needing homes and someone to love them.

Oh and btw... I am very well aware of the fact that my standards for breeding would probably be considered low in other peoples eyes. I am also well aware that those who have higher standards then me are probably looking for something completely different. Or they have a better budget. Or heck they could very well be better educated on breeding then I am. But I also know that when I breed I am breeding for a horse that will have use. I am breeding for a horse that, should something come up and I need to sell it, it would have a strong chance at being rehomed a lot easier because it will be bred to be a horse that will have use, will have talent(at least I hope it has talent). There are a million factors that come into place with breeding. But at the end of the day it still boils down to. Don't breed just because you want a baby to play with.
Hailey1203 likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate people that don't do their research before "educating" people. ShannonSevenfold Horse Talk 11 08-10-2012 08:59 PM
Rescue people // transport people?? Johnswife Other Pets 4 12-31-2008 10:09 AM
Video for Dog People! and for not-so-dog people too! amightytarzan5 Other Pets 6 08-03-2008 08:05 PM
Parelli people, or people interested in it..... Spirithorse Horse Training 6 01-08-2008 09:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0