Why are you pro-horse slaugher?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Why are you pro-horse slaugher?

This is a discussion on Why are you pro-horse slaugher? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Pros of horse slaughter quotes
  • Trainers pro horse slaughter

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-28-2010, 10:22 PM
  #1
Trained
Question Why are you pro-horse slaugher?

I'm not sure how I feel about the issue. I vaguely remember reading some arguments made on this forum as to why horse slaughter is a good thing.

Horse slaughter plants were all shut down in the US, right? Or most of them? And now this is creating problems elsewhere, as well as the US, yes? What are the problems it's causing?

I don't know where I stand on the whole thing. I'm very neutral, just hanging out in the middle all un-opiniated. I just want to learn something and have factual information to base my "decision" on, if that makes sense.

All this being said, I am a vegetarian, but I'm not against people eating meat. I think it's natural as prey and predator, it's just not for me. I know cows will forever be slaughtered for human consumption, I only hope the industry will change and give said cows [as well as pigs, chickens, etc] a better quality of life prior to slaughter.

Anywho, tell me why you are pro-horse slaughter. I'm especially looking foward to hearing from Kevin. =]
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-28-2010, 11:09 PM
  #2
Foal
I'm 'pro slaughter' because it moves unwanted horses. They're not typically bred for slaughter, they're made up of the 1,000,000 or so horses that are unwanted. The meat man usually picks horses up at auction who don't have anywhere else to go except to be put down. (People can go up and ask to buy a horse afterward from them, from what I understand some are willing to let the horses have a good home if they can) And if the horse is going to be put down anyway for whatever reason you may as well eat the meat and use the bones for something.

A lot of ranchers (from what I understand) used the slaughterhouses to sell off their old horses who they couldn't take care of anymore, because they need room for the ones who can do heavy-duty work. They do try to sell what they can, but if there are no takers whatcha going to do? There's not enough money to go around. Now they have to let the horses become feral and fend for themselves. They used to get some income to use for what they needed, but now they have less coming in and more going out.

Personally, I will be putting my horses down when they can't work for me anymore. And I mean can't as in they're on their deathbeds, there's no point in trying to keep them alive. I'm not 'pro-life' in that sense 'cause I just think it makes things worse. I am planning on keeping the meat, selling some maybe, and using everything from the horses to use - their hides for leather, skulls for painting on and selling... etc so that I can have more money to go around.

I love my horses, and it's out of respect that I wanna do this as well. It's weird, yeah, but it's spiritual thing that I want to do to bring me - in a way - closer to them. Kinda like 'eating the heart of your enemies to gain their strength'.

I think it's stupid to close slaughterhouses only because then the horses have no where else to go and people with already strained resources have to dig deeper to take care of them. I mean, yes... regulations to protect horses, cattle, dogs.... etc are needed. They shouldn't be treated like things, but given the respect they deserve. If they live a good life they're not going to mind dying to fill people's bellies.

But for me it's mostly a spiritual and self-reliant issue, considering what I wanna do with my life is very expensive.
     
    05-29-2010, 12:31 AM
  #3
Trained
That makes sense. I'm not sure what I'd do with Gracie when she passes, but I'm also not sure I'll even have her that long. I would like to keep her as long as possible, but will sell if I have to. Ricci is my heart horse, and I will keep her if I have to live out of my truck. I plan on cremating her and mixing her ashes with concrete to make a garden stone of sorts. Maybe it's because I want to be cremated, so I want my horse to be too.

Everyone is always so afraid of meat buyers at auctions, but they always do buy scrawny old horses for maybe $50. We do not have the resources to have that many horse rescues, I realize that.

As I said, my main concern is quality of life. If the horse has a good life and is put to rest humanely, I'm not sure I see the problem. Horses are beautiful, noble creatures, and deserve respect. And to take it a little further, cattle have also been used for ages to feed us, as well as pigs and chickens. Do they not deserve our respect too?

Any other input from the rest of you? I know there are quite a few pro-slaughter on the forum. =]
     
    05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccil0ve    
I'm not sure how I feel about the issue. I vaguely remember reading some arguments made on this forum as to why horse slaughter is a good thing.

Horse slaughter plants were all shut down in the US, right? Or most of them? And now this is creating problems elsewhere, as well as the US, yes? What are the problems it's causing?

I don't know where I stand on the whole thing. I'm very neutral, just hanging out in the middle all un-opiniated. I just want to learn something and have factual information to base my "decision" on, if that makes sense.

All this being said, I am a vegetarian, but I'm not against people eating meat. I think it's natural as prey and predator, it's just not for me. I know cows will forever be slaughtered for human consumption, I only hope the industry will change and give said cows [as well as pigs, chickens, etc] a better quality of life prior to slaughter.

Anywho, tell me why you are pro-horse slaughter. I'm especially looking foward to hearing from Kevin. =]
I will try not to dissapoint! First, cattle are treated quite well and although the way they are housed does not appeal to our senses cattle find them quite comfortable. They get fed regularly and as much as they'll eat and get to lounge around with thier buddies. It's kind of like a college frat house. I can also say with certainy that they have no idea what's coming until just before it hits them between the eyes.

Horses are much the same way. The majority of horses that go to slaughter are not ridable any longer. For many reasons somebody decided that the horse wasn't useful any more and everybody that watched it sell through the auction agreed. Some horses get crippled or develop problems that are too difficult to deal with. Some can't be trusted to not injure people and some were dealt the shot genetic straw and are just plain ugly conformationally. Rarely do horses with potential make it all the way to the slaughter house. I have bought many horses out of the meat auction and I know many people that prowl the meat buyers pens looking for good horses. Horse slaughter is just getting the culls and therefore improving the overall horse herd.

The biggest problem people have with horse slaughter is that they think that horses are being abused in transit and at the slaughter house. I don't believe this. First, there is the financial losses that come from stressed animals. The owners of these plants want all the money they can get from each animal and that means keeping them comfortable as possible.

If the plants within a thousand miles of me had not been shut down I would have no problem sending a horse to slaughter. The horses may have a moment of discomfort but then they have a quick death and most importantly thier bodies are used for feeding people as opposed to filling a hole in the ground. There are too many hungry people in the world to be throwing hundreds of pounds of meat into a hole in the ground.
     
    05-29-2010, 12:48 AM
  #5
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
They get fed regularly and as much as they'll eat and get to lounge around with thier buddies. It's kind of like a college frat house.

As usual, well said!
     
    05-29-2010, 01:06 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccil0ve
Ricci is my heart horse, and I will keep her if I have to live out of my truck. I plan on cremating her and mixing her ashes with concrete to make a garden stone of sorts. Maybe it's because I want to be cremated, so I want my horse to be too.
That's exactly the same way I feel about my guy Red. In fact, when I raise enough money I plan on getting a huge piece of empty land and living out of a truck and horse trailer until I can afford to build. Lol. And when he dies he gets to be useful again as a burger or steak, and I'm going to paint his bones and decorate my house with them. Use his hide to make a blanket or something. He's my special guy. <3 (This sounds so much more morbid than I realized. XD)

My mare, I dunno if I'm going to keep her or eventually sell her. I just know I have something to prove to myself with her, and that I want at least one baby outta her from a Curly Horse or a QH from the Peppy San line.

The only difference is I don't wanna be eaten. I dunno how I wanna be buried. Preferably on my own turf, but you're not allowed to have family plots on your own land anymore. You.u

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses
I will try not to dissapoint!
I don't think ya did!

Also... I think people definitely are under the wrong impressions about how animals are kept before being slaughtered. Sure there are places that DO abuse the animals, but they don't make as much profit as you said... and if the government officials DO file a report on it, they lose money from fines.
     
    05-29-2010, 01:09 AM
  #7
Trained
No, you didn't disappoint at all, Kevin. =D Now that I've got things to mull over, I feel better. I do see the necessity of it all, to be honest. I still don't think I could send a horse to slaughter. When a friend's horse was euthanized, it was picked up by a proctor to turn it into dog food and the whole thing just seemed so cold to me, and I knew then for a fact that I could never do that to Ricci. I can certainly respect those that are able to do it though. Dogs have to eat too, right?

So with at least most of the plants closed in the US [isn't there only one?] what is happening with these un-usable horses? Does anyone have any ideas or know of anything?

EDIT to respond to Jhinnua.

I don't doubt your love for your horse at all, and I hope I didn't imply that. I have a silly notion in my head that my horse should be treated equal to or better than myself. I want to be cremated. For some reason, I think burning is better than being cut up, lol. =P That being said, I will never bury a horse. EVER. I'd rather send it for meat. I hate bugs, I can't imagine any horse of mine being consumed by bugs. O_O
     
    05-29-2010, 01:12 AM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
There are too many hungry people in the world to be throwing hundreds of pounds of meat into a hole in the ground.

Kevin, while I have always been pro-slaughter, I never thought of it from this angle. Thanks for that!

I think all animals, big and small, sweet and nasty deserve a quick respectful (as death gets) death. I work for a small rescue in my area and let me tell you, the horses that we get in weren't headed for that kind of death. Most are starved beyond recognition. Some are injured beyond repair. Some have behavioral issues that makes the unsavory to be around. Our numbers have tripled since slaughter went out. People have no options now.

Example: Old Bessie has been your best horse. Always a treat to be around...hell she taught your kids to ride. Bessie is now 25, half blind and struck with the arthitis in her knees. You could have the vet put her down..that'll cost you 200 bucks. You could shoot her...but you think that would be terrible...you could turn her over to a horse rescue/sanctuary/humane society, but they are all full with a thousand just like her. So what most people do is either let Poor Ol' Bessie live out her days in a hot pasture with limited resources, no vet care (Gosh what would the vet think if she saw Bessie!) no farrier (shes not being ridden...why would she need her feet done?!) and no human companionship (I just can't stand to look at her anymore...shes so sad!) Until either Bessie drops dead or a neighbor calls it in and the police have to come remove your animal. You used to have slaughter...believe me it is nicer than starving to death. Our last rescue was eating barnwood when we found him.

(ps sorry for the rant...)
     
    05-29-2010, 01:16 AM
  #9
Foal
I read a few years ago that a lot of them were just being turned loose in the middle of the deserts or the meat buyers who actually went around to buy them were sending them to Mexico for slaughter. Some horses make it to new homes through rescue and adoption, others die from lack of care.

And yes, many more starve in the pasture, as Corino just pointed out.
     
    05-29-2010, 01:20 AM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
Kevin, while I have always been pro-slaughter, I never thought of it from this angle. Thanks for that!

I think all animals, big and small, sweet and nasty deserve a quick respectful (as death gets) death. I work for a small rescue in my area and let me tell you, the horses that we get in weren't headed for that kind of death. Most are starved beyond recognition. Some are injured beyond repair. Some have behavioral issues that makes the unsavory to be around. Our numbers have tripled since slaughter went out. People have no options now.

Example: Old Bessie has been your best horse. Always a treat to be around...hell she taught your kids to ride. Bessie is now 25, half blind and struck with the arthitis in her knees. You could have the vet put her down..that'll cost you 200 bucks. You could shoot her...but you think that would be terrible...you could turn her over to a horse rescue/sanctuary/humane society, but they are all full with a thousand just like her. So what most people do is either let Poor Ol' Bessie live out her days in a hot pasture with limited resources, no vet care (Gosh what would the vet think if she saw Bessie!) no farrier (shes not being ridden...why would she need her feet done?!) and no human companionship (I just can't stand to look at her anymore...shes so sad!) Until either Bessie drops dead or a neighbor calls it in and the police have to come remove your animal. You used to have slaughter...believe me it is nicer than starving to death. Our last rescue was eating barnwood when we found him.

(ps sorry for the rant...)
That is very sad. =| I don't think anyone really thinks about it that way. Just because I will continue to provide Ricci with the best care long after she is retired, most people can't, or won't, because as you said, they aren't being used anymore. It is very sad indeed. I wish I knew more about this before the plants got shut down. I knew a girl who really pushed to get them closed. O_O
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0