oh also, My husband pointed out that getting our property set up for a horse will cost more than paying full board, but I guess this is where I feel the cost is justified.
I didn't know if boarding full time was justified. Part time definitely, but I'm not sold on full time. I've read so many posts in the past where people complain that weather or their schedule has stopped them from getting to the barn and they feel stressed and guilty. I know that would be me.
Sorry for this being long winded. I'm thinking out loud I guess.
Why did this horse have to be so perfect! Ahhhhh, lol. I'm going to wait. I figure it can't hurt to wait. But If I go ahead with this, I might be saying to myself, "What did I get myself into?" 6 months from now.
Thank you all again so much. Decisions like this need to be made with advice from horsey folk.
As of this year, I'm gelding stallions, only bred one mare (mine) and have only 1 boarder and have gotten 1 horse started and a refresher on my 'fav' horse and will be sending out a 3rd for starting in about 30 days. Once the weather breaks, I'll be going riding and I intend to keep it up at least weekly until it's either to crappy or cold and then I'll take a break. I missed the ride on New Year's Day 2012 and I intend to remedy THAT lack too for 2013.
My life would be a LOT less busy and I'd have more time for riding if I'd board my horses and sell my farm and go get a 'real' job. But I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. Due to the drought I've cut way back on boarders, I don't want to have to worry about how I'm going to feed someone else's horse in this drought.