^ Probably because that's exactly what the thread title came from, TexasGal! LOL. We think alike ;)
Thank you so much everyone. I'm still not sure about putting Sour up for sale, but I will think about it. Minis rarely find good homes around here. We have a huge problem with finding them, half dead, wandering on the side of the road every time we have a drought or the economy drops. Thoroughbreds, though admittedly not ones with as much baggage as Kenzie, have a better time of it usually. Maybe I could look into leasing Sour out instead? I'd actually really like to just lease Kenzie out if she was a bit older, so that I'd still be able to get her out of a bad situation if need be, but unfortunately I don't think there is any market at all for leasing a filly that won't TECHNICALLY be ready to ride for another half year or so, and really SHOULDN'T be ridden until she's at least 3 1/2 or so since she has a lot of catching up to do. In a perfect world I probably wouldn't even start really riding her until she was 4.
Cacowgirl- yes, I have a bill of sale, and its one that Celeste suggested to me. I like the way it is laid out and I hope that it works should I ever need it. I don't yet have her coggins because BO doesn't keep those at the farm; they're at her house. I should get that and any papers (registration eligibility) if she can locate them. I personally don't care one bit about her being registered and I don't even know if she CAN still be registered, but if I rehome her she might go somewhere that they do care. And I'd love to know exactly who her sire is.
As of right now, my parents have given me 4-5 months to rehome her. I know that we all have the fantasy of me being able to keep her, and I must admit that I would LOVE that, but for now I must assume that I can't and make preparations. They were vehemently against me buying her permanently and it was only the 3 month negotiation that got me their blessing. Remember that I am only 17, and thus still a minor, so it is their signature on her papers, not mine. I also have no way of boarding her anywhere other than where she is currently about to go, unless I stalled her nearly 24-7...which I think would drive her insane. I'm also unsure that I can afford her care long term even if I did sell Sour because as we all know, there is a LARGE difference between what Kenzie will be eating and what Sour eats. Sour eats 8 lbs of hay daily. Kenzie will be consumer 20+ lbs daily. Sour gets only 1/2 a pound of grain, Kenzie gets 3 lbs plus beet pulp, suppliments, and alfalfa pellets.
As sad as it is for me to admit, even if I did talk my parents into letting me keep Kenzie until I turn 18 and can legally own her myself (5 1/2 months from now) I have to be realistic. Smrobs is right, I will do what is right by this filly, even if it does mean heartbreak for me or taking the chance that Kenzie might not always have the perfect home. As it is, without even paying for hay or anything, I am spending $85 a month on grain for her. I realize that will go down as she begins eating grass, but I'll still be looking at atleast $60 per month, plus about $100 per month for hay. Remember that I only work part time, and get about 15 hours a week on a good week. I do not have a job that would typically be considered suitable for horse ownership, much less a high needs horse like her. I could be laid off at any point, and I'm making only a tiny big over minimum wage. I want to start looking for a second part time job or a better one to replace the one I have, but its hard for kids my age to get a job and even if I could get one, my parents are VERY against that as well because of my health and stress issues. And in the end, I must listen to them. Soon I will be needing to pay for my own care insurance, and I don't yet have my own car. I need to save for college, and I also have to help my family with expenses every now and then. I love Kenzie to death, but I can't in good conscience be selfish enough to keep her when I need to be learning to support my self to relieve my parents of some of their stress. I'm almost an adult, and it is time for me to begin shouldering my own financial burdens. Its sad, but maybe selling her IS what is right by her. I'm not sure yet. But I am determined not to let my emotions get in the way of what might be right for her.
In an ideal situation, I would very much like her to go to a HF member as I said, and I DO have the offer from one person to take her, so maybe it will work out. Who knows? Maybe after I get on my feet in a few years, if that member or whoever takes her from me wants to sell her, she may end up back with me. But I won't put her in danger with me as her owner just because I want to see her grow up to be the horse I know she can be.
That being said, I AM going to be quite picky about who she goes to, and won't jump on the first offer that comes by me. I will ask for references if possible, find out what kind of plans and living situation are in store for her, and hope and pray that she doesn't fall into bad hands again. Its not a guarantee, but you better believe I'll do my VERY best to find the perfect home for her. I plan to, once she gains just a bit more weight, bring her to local shows for exposure and to get her name and her story out there. I will advertise anywhere I possibly can, and make sure all of my friends and their friends know I'm currently searching. And I'll let you guys help me decide if a home sounds suitable for her, just in case I miss a red flag.
I have a question for you guys though. Would it be better to only advertise her 'as is' in the sense that in her ad I don't mention more than that 'she's had a rough go of it' or should I give her whole story in summary to pull at heart strings? The last thing I want is for someone to take her for publicity, but I also wonder if anyone will even give her a second glance without her story to tell what a vibrant personality she has. I mean, I have to be honest. If I was in the market for a horse or someone else showed her to me, after seeing all of her scars and problems my answer would be a huge 'NO.' Its her personality and will to live and thrive that I love, not her blemishes. I want to convey that to potential new owners too, but I'm just not sure whether that is me being whimsical or if it would actually be an ok idea.
Ok, I've already tainted this thread with sadness xD I'm sorry. How about a good thing to add to my sad 'I just can't keep her' post? Kenzie and I have been working this afternoon on loading into the trailer. She's doing wonderfully! I can pretty much just send her in there now. Of course our trailer is a stock trailer, so a straight or slant load might be another story, but its progress right? I also have her successfully walking over a little obstacle course bridge. Go Kenzie!
Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.