The wrong horse for me?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

The wrong horse for me?

This is a discussion on The wrong horse for me? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Is my horse wrong for me
  • Wrong horse for me?

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
  #1
Weanling
The wrong horse for me?

I have a 4 year old Oldenburg (almost 5 now) colt. I did his ground training, he was started by my trainer, and we're in a lesson program (dressage) now. I've been riding him a little over a year. He is very sweet and has never misbehaved. The problem I'm having is that I don't trust him, I think because of his age, and I can never really relax when I'm riding. As a result, I get tense, then things fall apart, then I get upset and frustrated and it's all downhill from there. Another problem is his large stride - I never feel in control. I signed up for a schooling show that is now coming up which I totally regret doing and would like to back out of. I guess I'm afraid that we'll do poorly and I'll embarrass myself. So now I'm wondering if I should find another horse that I can be confident with or if I'm just being a big baby, putting too much pressure on myself, and need to give it more time. On one hand it would be stupid to give up such a good horse, on the other hand what's the point of continuing with a horse a can't form a partnership with? We do have some good rides, so it's not all bad. I perfectly fine with my other horse, but she can't do too much b/c of age. Maybe I'm just feeling discouraged?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
  #2
Started
Don't feel discouraged! Has he ever done anything to make you lose your trust in him? He is young and you have trained him with help. You have seen him at his best and worst.

Take a deep breath and step back and instead of putting pressure on the both of you maybe just relax and do some fun things together. Maybe get out of the arena if he listens and take him for a short hack even with some friends. All I am trying to say is give it time and give yourself less pressure. It might be all the magic you need to feel comfortable with him.

Goodluck and cheer up :)
     
    12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
  #3
Weanling
No, he's never done anything wrong. He's spooked pretty big a couple of times, which all horses do, and I came off once. We've been on several outings, he's always good. I think I just have a really bad habit of focusing on the negative and a general lack of confidence. I think I will just set my goals really low for the show - move forward, don't come off, remember the test - not worry about the scores at all and maybe then I can relax.
     
    12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
  #4
Trained
Step back and take a few deep breaths..

Now you say this boy has never done anything so you may need to forget he is young, apart from what you ask of him, but young doesn't always equal untrustworthy.

Now this
Quote:
I signed up for a schooling show that is now coming up which I totally regret doing and would like to back out of. I guess I'm afraid that we'll do poorly and I'll embarrass myself.
Really makes me wonder, if this is your first show you simply shouldn't be able to embarrass yourself, because your only goal should be to take your boy along and make sure he has an enjoyable day.

A couple of months back I took my big rehab mare out to her first ever show, I ended up entering two walk trot on the rail tests, because I didn't trust her to do a full intro level test. She got two pink ribbons, seems like they actually like you to walk in a walk trot test, OH well it will come. I was just delighted to get her in the ring, we stayed in the ring, and the trot portions of the test were good. She had a great experience and I will expect more from her next time, but a first schooling show, nope you can't embarrass yourself
     
    12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
  #5
Started
I know what you mean I am the type to look at things like "glass half empty" instead of "glass half full" :)

Little is good. Start off slow and build on that. Go in not to win points but to stay in saddle and have good transitions:) that's all I could hope for and I still would look like a fool :)
Remember stay positive I know its hard but even the slight positive attitude will help alot :) goodluck
     
    12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
  #6
Showing
Don't feel discouraged. "Choose your attitude at the door." Sometimes it's hard to do but when you can it most certainly helps. If you go in expecting something to go wrong and the worst to happen, it probably will. If you go in with no expectations and just look to have a good ride and get some experience, you will be much better off. Fake it 'til you make it with positivity so he doesn't feed off of your nerves.

As far as the show goes, go and do it just for fun. Don't worry about ribbons or doing well. Just remember that each little step forward gets you farther down the road to where you want to get with him. First trips out don't always go according to plan, I never expect much with my youngsters the first few times, it's more about taking it all in for them and as long as they handle themselves fairly well I consider it a success. Most of the time, they deserve more credit than we give them and he may just surprise you!
kait18 likes this.
     
    12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy410    
I have a 4 year old Oldenburg (almost 5 now) colt. I did his ground training, he was started by my trainer, and we're in a lesson program (dressage) now. I've been riding him a little over a year. He is very sweet and has never misbehaved. The problem I'm having is that I don't trust him, I think because of his age, and I can never really relax when I'm riding. As a result, I get tense, then things fall apart, then I get upset and frustrated and it's all downhill from there. Another problem is his large stride - I never feel in control. I signed up for a schooling show that is now coming up which I totally regret doing and would like to back out of. I guess I'm afraid that we'll do poorly and I'll embarrass myself. So now I'm wondering if I should find another horse that I can be confident with or if I'm just being a big baby, putting too much pressure on myself, and need to give it more time. On one hand it would be stupid to give up such a good horse, on the other hand what's the point of continuing with a horse a can't form a partnership with? We do have some good rides, so it's not all bad. I perfectly fine with my other horse, but she can't do too much b/c of age. Maybe I'm just feeling discouraged?
I am going to tell you missy, that I was in the same boat with my horse when we first met! Ginormous strides... I came off of him, I kept thinking he was going to do something, etc.

You're boogering yourself out, and then your horse is feeling like he can't trust you either. Those big strides will get easier as you learn to keep your seat on him and follow his movement. I know you can do it, I did!

Don't feel embarassed.. you shouldn't care what others think. Even at a horse show! You are there, as Golden said, to be with your horse, to get him experiencing something new and different, and to show off! It sounds like you need to give yourself some slack.. a mile of slack! You're doing great! Your horse is doing great! I hope your instructor/trainer has the same positive comment/attitude I am sharing with you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kait18    
don't feel discouraged! Has he ever done anything to make you lose your trust in him? He is young and you have trained him with help. You have seen him at his best and worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy410    
No, he's never done anything wrong. He's spooked pretty big a couple of times, which all horses do, and I came off once. We've been on several outings, he's always good. I think I just have a really bad habit of focusing on the negative and a general lack of confidence. I think I will just set my goals really low for the show - move forward, don't come off, remember the test - not worry about the scores at all and maybe then I can relax.
Breathe... I think you are wise to not trust completely but you need to give him some credit. Don't dwell on those bad rides.. those rides teach us all something and they make the next ride look like a slice of heaven!

I think that's a good idea, but you're doing it again! Don't say or THINK negative things like that. "I will set my goals really low" instead think "We can do this! And if we get great scores, that's a plus!" You see what I'm saying? Every goal you have is Sky high, and you need to start treating them a little more positively and even more enthusiastically.

Don't worry :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
Step back and take a few deep breaths..

Now you say this boy has never done anything so you may need to forget he is young, apart from what you ask of him, but young doesn't always equal untrustworthy.

Now this

Really makes me wonder, if this is your first show you simply shouldn't be able to embarrass yourself, because your only goal should be to take your boy along and make sure he has an enjoyable day.

A couple of months back I took my big rehab mare out to her first ever show, I ended up entering two walk trot on the rail tests, because I didn't trust her to do a full intro level test. She got two pink ribbons, seems like they actually like you to walk in a walk trot test, OH well it will come. I was just delighted to get her in the ring, we stayed in the ring, and the trot portions of the test were good. She had a great experience and I will expect more from her next time, but a first schooling show, nope you can't embarrass yourself
Golden is so right :) The first show is all about having fun, experiencing it, introducing your horse to it, maybe even being silly during warmup like "free walking" the entire time ;) But the most important aspect is you and your horse have fun, you get it done, and you find a way to end it on a good note!

Another example, I took two girls and 3 horses to a show with the barn owner and her hubbie. They were so scared for their show and I saw the result in their horses. So we all just pretended we were playing simon says during the show (I entered a green mare just to get her used to the experience and to keep the girls company) and when the judge said walk, we walked and smiled and when he said trot, we trotted on the correct diagonal, relaxed, and everything.. We had a blast. The horses calmed down and they listened well as soon as we settled down and we got our ribbons! Now the more shows you do, you can start building bigger goals and accomplishing them too.

Just remember to breathe and have fun :) And not care what others think. This is you and your horse's day!
Golden Horse and kait18 like this.
     
    12-06-2011, 12:46 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    

Just remember to breathe and have fun :) And not care what others think. This is you and your horse's day!
That perfectly sums up the way to approach a first show with any new horse, or any young horse
kait18 likes this.
     
    12-06-2011, 01:33 PM
  #9
mls
Trained
I think there are two issues going on here -

First - How long have you been riding your other horse? We all get comfortable on a particular horse. The horse can do anything under the sun and we shrug it off. Your colt is 'new' and you aren't sure what to expect. One day it WILL click and it will be incredible.

Second - He is your pride and joy. You started him and you have a need to say "see, I can do this". Whether it be to yourself or someone else. He's young, he'll make mistakes. But you don't want perfection out of the box, then you would have no where to go!

As the others have said, relax and have fun.
     
    12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
  #10
Foal
Trust your horse. Get a better connection, before even thinking about doing a show.
My horse is 3, just broke, and I trust him enough to relax when i'm riding because I know we have that connection.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything wrong with this horse? tgreene Horse Health 13 11-14-2011 02:18 PM
Everything on my horse seems to be going wrong Hiiidanielle Horse Health 5 09-16-2011 09:32 PM
Anyone know what's wrong with this horse? EthanQ Horse Health 0 09-05-2011 08:45 PM
what wrong with our horse? Angel5000 Horse Health 3 07-27-2010 10:35 PM
Look at this horse...is there something wrong Fowl Play Horse Health 19 05-15-2010 08:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0