Well we put on the net for the first time this morning. It went ok, the main trouble came from the tractor not the net!
While the bale was up on the bale spear we cut all the twine, but because we had had some freezing rain and a lot of snow we couldn't get the twine off the bale so we put the bale back on the ground so we could scrape off some of the snow and ice and get the twine off. Once we tried to put it back up to get the net on, the tractor wouldn't stay up so it went up and down a couple times and some of the layers of hay started to fall off the bale. Once the tractor stopped being temperamental and we pulled the loose hay out from under the bale it wasn't too hard to get the net on, but I can see how it would be frustrating trying to do it with just one person.
So far it looks like the horses' first reactions are confusion and some pawing and chewing, but we also put in an uncovered bale so if they're really hungry it's not like they have nothing to eat until they figure out how to get hay out of the net. I'll keep you updated on how they hold up.
Now to photobomb the heck out of this thread!
(I know when I was debating whether or not to buy the nets I would have found these pics helpful, so here they are in case this helps someone else!)