Your Horse Is NOT Tri-colored.. It Is A Bay Paint. - Page 5 - The Horse Forum
 235Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,219
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But who cares about color genetics, other than that small group? The point is, or should be, that if you have a bunch of horses in a field, and tell the guy standing next to you "Look at that tri-color one" (or bay, palamino, etc), he's going to know which one you're talking about. Language is about communication, and when you insist on using the language of your in-group with people outside that group, you aren't communicating.

I have to agree with this, to a degree. While I enjoy knowing proper terms for things and enjoy being able to talk to people who understand what I'm talking about -- there are times when you have to be able to communicate to someone and your fancy dancy proper terms aren't important.

I guarantee you if I started blathering about proper rabbit or chicken terms, the average pet rabbit or chicken owner would have NO IDEA .. If they are receptive, teach'em.. otherwise .. so what??

Recent true story. I had a horse come up missing a few weeks ago. I was close to panic when I called the Sheriff dept and during the multiple calls that happened after that. Each time, I was asked "What color is your horse?" .. and each time I had this delimma.

See, my horse is brown. Solid brown. But 99% of the population would call him black. Do I say brown? Do I say black? S

o I found myself saying "Most people would call him black, but he is brown.. really, most people would say black"

"Well, we picked up a black horse that fits that description"

"Yes, yes, he's black .. with the following brands..."

"Ma'am .. Mr. So-n-So has your horse, he's fine."


If I had insisted on the "correct" term, 'cause by-God it's PROPER, Deputy City-Transplant might have thought I was talking about a Sorrel or Bay horse..

I.HAD.TO.COMMUNICATE... If calling him BLACK helps do that .. that's what I did.

(the horse was fine.. someone opened the gap and he got out)
NorthernMama and paintsrule like this.

Come join us on the Texas Horse Friends thread.http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk...riends-125927/
texasgal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,545
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
I have to agree with this, to a degree. While I enjoy knowing proper terms for things and enjoy being able to talk to people who understand what I'm talking about -- there are times when you have to be able to communicate to someone and your fancy dancy proper terms aren't important.

I guarantee you if I started blathering about proper rabbit or chicken terms, the average pet rabbit or chicken owner would have NO IDEA .. If they are receptive, teach'em.. otherwise .. so what??

Recent true story. I had a horse come up missing a few weeks ago. I was close to panic when I called the Sheriff dept and during the multiple calls that happened after that. Each time, I was asked "What color is your horse?" .. and each time I had this delimma.

See, my horse is brown. Solid brown. But 99% of the population would call him black. Do I say brown? Do I say black? S

o I found myself saying "Most people would call him black, but he is brown.. really, most people would say black"

"Well, we picked up a black horse that fits that description"

"Yes, yes, he's black .. with the following brands..."

"Ma'am .. Mr. So-n-So has your horse, he's fine."


If I had insisted on the "correct" term, 'cause by-God it's PROPER, Deputy City-Transplant might have thought I was talking about a Sorrel or Bay horse..

I.HAD.TO.COMMUNICATE... If calling him BLACK helps do that .. that's what I did.

(the horse was fine.. someone opened the gap and he got out)
That is an understandable situation where using the term that everyone would call your horse would be acceptable and encouraged. That kind of situation is not the issue in this case, however. I can guarantee you that if your horse was a bay paint and you described him as such, 99% of the people would have known what you were talking about and that other 1% you would have had to describe either term to them anyway. So, why have two names for the same exact color that are redundant (meaning they describe the same coloring equally well)? Because "bay paint" isn't good enough for some people? Sorry, not a good enough answer.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #43 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,219
• Horses: 5
Do you say sorrel .. or chestnut?

Come join us on the Texas Horse Friends thread.http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk...riends-125927/
texasgal is offline  
post #44 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,545
• Horses: 1
I say chestnut because it is the "officially" recognized (by breed registries, even the AQHA) term for a red-based horse with no cream, dun or other diluting factors. *shrug*
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #45 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
sorrel, then again I honestly didn't know the difference between a sorrel and a lineback dun until I got sugar, my 3 yr old LB Dun. I still only see the difference as a dark line down her spine.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #46 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,545
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
sorrel, then again I honestly didn't know the difference between a sorrel and a lineback dun until I got sugar, my 3 yr old LB Dun. I still only see the difference as a dark line down her spine.
That's another redundant term that makes color people twitch a little (but not as badly as tri-color paint). A dun, in order to be classified as a dun, must have a dorsal stripe. No dorsal stripe (aka-lineback), no dun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Blue Smoke and Textan49 like this.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #47 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
I don't mind showing my ignorance to the facts around non- ignorant to the fact people so that I can learn.

I only have so many hours in the day to learn on each thing I find interesting so reading through the colo(u)r threads hasn't been as much a priority as health, training and riding info has been. Once I get a lot more up to date on important info regarding those things then I will try to focus some attention on being smarter about their pigmentation. I'm thankful there are people out there who already know more and have probably forgotten more than I will learn so I can ask questions.


So here is my official thank you to those who know and are willing to inform my ignorance.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #48 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,545
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
I don't mind showing my ignorance to the facts around non- ignorant to the fact people so that I can learn.

I only have so many hours in the day to learn on each thing I find interesting so reading through the colo(u)r threads hasn't been as much a priority as health, training and riding info has been. Once I get a lot more up to date on important info regarding those things then I will try to focus some attention on being smarter about their pigmentation. I'm thankful there are people out there who already know more and have probably forgotten more than I will learn so I can ask questions.


So here is my official thank you to those who know and are willing to inform my ignorance.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said nearly as witchy as it sounded. I apologize for any offense, for none was intended at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #49 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said nearly as witchy as it sounded. I apologize for any offense, for none was intended at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
No,No No..It wasn't taken as witchy at all!!!! Promise.....


I was expressing my gratitude for having access to someone more knowledgeable than I, while also stating I am glad my pride doesn't get in the way of correcting my ignorance on certain subjects.

I also tried to explain my lack of knowledge in the color scheme of things.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #50 of 173 Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
If I were breeding Paints or Pintos i would probably use the 'proper" terms.
I use the term tri colour not because I think they arent "speshul" enough but because that is what they are called here. Bays or buckskin pintos are called tri coloured by the locals. Then again any horse with pinto is called a paint. Even cows , goats, sheep, and a camel I know of are called Paints by the old timers and we all know what they are referring to. You may not agree with it and allow the term to make you cringe but around here it is the terminology used. Shalom
texasgal likes this.
dbarabians is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my bay paint also considered a tri-color paint? Thyme Horse Colors and Genetics 8 09-21-2012 04:02 PM
Tri-Colored Paint! Poseidon Horse Colors and Genetics 19 09-21-2011 06:21 PM
Tri colored paints glitterhorse Horse Colors and Genetics 25 07-18-2011 08:34 AM
Does this mean my horse is a tri colored paint? showjumpingjunkieee Horse Breeds 10 01-08-2010 06:41 PM
Tri-Colored Paints!! Share Yours! Jillyann Horse Pictures 58 09-12-2009 09:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome