Advice on this trailer, please... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Trailers

Advice on this trailer, please...

This is a discussion on Advice on this trailer, please... within the Horse Trailers forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Do trailers have titles in sc
  • Do you have to have a tag on a horse trailer in the state of sc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
  #11
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Leaguer    
I thought you had to have a title to be able to license the trailer? I would really look into that so that you don't get in trouble down the road.
Since there is no title requirement for trailers in SC (and some other states) most of the time the original title that came with it when it was first sold, gets lost along the way. That is very typical in SC. You do not need to have tags on a trailer in SC.

If the trailer is in a "no title necessary" state or the title was lost, selling it to a state that does require one is sometimes a difficult process and the seller may think that they have what is necessary but your particular state may require something different. It is not always an easy process but needs to be done before you can drive the trailer on the roads.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
  #12
Yearling
What is a title?


Anyway for that price be wary, but if it turns out to be structurly strong its a good bargain.

If you can, get down and look underneath the trailer. Make sure there is no rust in the floor beams or rot in the floorboards.

Is it a standard ball hitch?? Make sure it fits properly to the ball on the towbar.
     
    02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
  #13
Showing
A title is proof of ownership - like a deed on a home.
     
    02-18-2009, 11:01 AM
  #14
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
Since there is no title requirement for trailers in SC (and some other states) most of the time the original title that came with it when it was first sold, gets lost along the way. That is very typical in SC. You do not need to have tags on a trailer in SC.

If the trailer is in a "no title necessary" state or the title was lost, selling it to a state that does require one is sometimes a difficult process and the seller may think that they have what is necessary but your particular state may require something different. It is not always an easy process but needs to be done before you can drive the trailer on the roads.

Thanks... I was wondering because we have to get yearly tabs for our horse trailers- or stock trailers being used for anything but "livestock". I personally would never purchase anything that wasn't titled, things can get messy
     
    02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Leaguer    
I thought you had to have a title to be able to license the trailer? I would really look into that so that you don't get in trouble down the road.
You do, but you can get a title for it, too. I did this for my car. Here, you need a bill of sale to be able to do that, and you have 30 days to get it done.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting this one-we've found a few more offers that are a) closer to home, and b) just better all around offers.

Thank you all for your advice though. ^.^ It'll help when looking at the next one...
     
    02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
  #16
Showing
The main advice I can give you especially if you are looking at older trailers (as it's more likely to happen) is to make sure the dimensions fit the horses you are likely to own in the future. Older trailers tend to have the height which is soooo important. Unless you spend thousands on a warmblood sized trailer, as they like to call them, none of the new trailers have very good height or widths.
I see it happen all the time, people buying trailers that are tiny but at the times it's all they can afford and then find themselves in the hole because the cheap trailer they bought for next to nothing doesn't fit the average and large horses they are buying.

So as I said, just make sure the trailer you choose will fit the general size of the horses you think you will be likely to own, tbs, QHs, WB whatever the breed might be
     
    02-20-2009, 08:33 AM
  #17
Showing
Years ago, when all I could afford was an old trailer, the most important thing I considered was height. My thoughts were that I could remove the center divider (or swing it out of the way and latch it) and only trailer one horse. Even the smaller trailers work well for one horse as long as it is at least 6'6".

In fact, they work rather well since I've noticed that most horses will automatically slant themselves if given a chance - just be sure to tie him to the left side of the trailer.
     
    02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
  #18
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
Years ago, when all I could afford was an old trailer, the most important thing I considered was height. My thoughts were that I could remove the center divider (or swing it out of the way and latch it) and only trailer one horse. Even the smaller trailers work well for one horse as long as it is at least 6'6".

In fact, they work rather well since I've noticed that most horses will automatically slant themselves if given a chance - just be sure to tie him to the left side of the trailer.
iridehorses got exactly what I meant. Those dimensions are very hard to find, so make sure you check those when buying. It sounds like regardless of the condition, you guys can fix it up which is a huge advantage so it may not be the biggest concern to you.
     
    03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
  #19
Foal
In some states, you don't need a title. When we sold ours yesterday, the lady asked for a title and I was all, "uhmmm... mom?!" xD Like I know NM you have to have one but in Oklahoma and texas, you don't.

I like it... Its not as open as I like mine to be, but everyone has their preferences. As long as the floor isn't going to fall through, the lights work and the tires aren't going to fall off when you're driving down the road... I'd say go for it! You're horse(s) might get claustrophobic because it isn't very open though... I know some horses that don't like it so I suggest asking if you can put a deposit down and "test" it out.

Good Luck!
     
    03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
  #20
Trained
I have the same trailer and it worked for me really well for the last couple years...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer Loading Training...Advice? Velvetgrace Horse Training 14 02-10-2009 02:48 PM
about this trailer handytsabre Horse Tack and Equipment 10 02-02-2009 04:01 PM
trailer! handytsabre Horse Talk 9 12-15-2008 07:01 PM
Wants: cheap used horse trailer or stock trailer cattleman Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-14-2008 12:46 PM
Need Advice To Give Advice browneyedcowgirl13 Horse Training 10 06-06-2008 12:20 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0