Horses trailered in stock trailer?? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Trailers

Horses trailered in stock trailer??

This is a discussion on Horses trailered in stock trailer?? within the Horse Trailers forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Trailering horses in a stock trailer
  • Can horses travel in cattle trailors

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
  #11
Showing
Firstly, congrats on the new horse.

All of our horses get hauled in a stock trailer no matter where they are going, but it is over 6'6" tall and most of our horses are shorter. So I would say that so long as the trailer is plenty tall (7' or so) that the horse can comfortably move their head up, then it shouldn't be a problem.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
  #12
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem88    
Don't have to be so snooty, speed racer. Obviously, the horses I saw were working horses and undoubtedly a lot tougher than yours!
It's not snooty to want what's most comfortable for one's horse, but apparently some people don't take their animals' welfare into consideration. It has nothing to do with whether your horses are 'tougher' than mine or not.

I'd rather my horses travel in comfort, as opposed to being crammed into a trailer that wasn't meant to carry them.

I suppose since they're 'just horses', their comfort and ease doesn't matter.
     
    07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
  #13
Green Broke
A 15.2 hand horse is 62" high at the withers. A 6'6" trailer is 78". That would leave only 16" above the withers & as some trailers have curved roofs even less room above the head area. To me 16" above the withers does not leave enough head room for a horse.
I would ask the hauler to measure the highest & lowest points of the inside of the trailer.
     
    07-19-2011, 09:15 PM
  #14
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
It's not snooty to want what's most comfortable for one's horse, but apparently some people don't take their animals' welfare into consideration. It has nothing to do with whether your horses are 'tougher' than mine or not.

I'd rather my horses travel in comfort, as opposed to being crammed into a trailer that wasn't meant to carry them.

I suppose since they're 'just horses', their comfort and ease doesn't matter.
I take my horses welfare into consideration, just ask my kids. They feel I treat my horses better than them. Like I stated earlier I use a 3H HORSE trailer, not a cattle trailer. But, if that's all I had, then I see no problem with it as long as it's sound.

The cattle trailers must be bigger in Texas because I've seen 16 hand horse fit comfortably with PLENTY of head room. Since it's so hot and humid they appear to enjoy the added AC.
     
    07-19-2011, 11:03 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem88    
I take my horses welfare into consideration, just ask my kids. They feel I treat my horses better than them. Like I stated earlier I use a 3H HORSE trailer, not a cattle trailer. But, if that's all I had, then I see no problem with it as long as it's sound.

The cattle trailers must be bigger in Texas because I've seen 16 hand horse fit comfortably with PLENTY of head room. Since it's so hot and humid they appear to enjoy the added AC.

Everything is bigger in texas
ponyluver420 likes this.
     
    07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
  #16
Started
I have to say that here in Wyoming 90% of horses are transported in stock trailers, sometimes with cattle and sometimes just horses. Usually saddled and going out to work. Big, tall, short and small, the ranchers around here do not have separate trailers for cattle and horses, they all go together.
I myself have a 3 horse gooseneck slant load now, but did have a "stock ' trailer for years. Never had an issue. I love my slant load, but would have no issues using a stock trailer. Most stock trailers now are tall enough to fit horses. Heck, some old 4 horse trailers that I see sitting in fields are not big enough for cows, much less for the size of horses these days.
Outfitters use stock trailers for their horses, loaded head to butt and travel that way all the time. We are talking big horses, half draft type.
     
    07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
  #17
Teen Forum Moderator
Stock trailers here in Texas are not any larger thany anywhere else. What you're seeing, gigem- is head room if the horse is standing with it's head equal to or slightly above the withers. Most roping/cattle horses (which is a 99% guarantee what you are seeing if they're in stock trailers) are trained to keep their heads low and relaxed. You are forgetting a very large detail though.

The OP's horse is an OTTB. Now I'm not discounting thoroughbreds, but many OTTBs are fairly...well...rough- in the trailers. Ofcourse, OP's horse could very well be a gentleman in the trailer, but since she doesn't know for sure- it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

That being said, lets assume that whilst in the trailer, OTTB gets spooked, and his head comes flying up in normal fashion. Lets also assume that this trailer is 6'6, or even 6'8. This would give the horse only 16-18 inches of room to bring his head above his withers. The average horse can draw his head over two and a half feet higher than his withers. And that is with all four feet on the ground. Lets also say that when OTTB jerks his head (or half rears, jumps, etc) he hits his head on the metal roof. Now he most likely ATLEAST has a bruise, possibly worse, and is now scared out of his wits. What is he going to do? Either leap forewards, rear, or kick- all three bad things in a short stock trailer.

Wouldn't it be better to just have a 7'+ HORSE (stock or normal) trailer, and get rid of that possibility almost completely? OTTB has been through enough of a transition, why add more risks of injury?

I stand by Speedracer on this one. She was not in any way 'snooty.' If anyone is, it would be you. She blantly stated the facts, and even made a move towards being friendly, congradulating OP. You, however, called her out for no reason, then started to make a big stink because she was in the right.

I'm sorry gigem, that's not how we roll.

To the OP- as stated, congradulations on the OTTB! They make fine horses once we get them to understand the definition of 'trot' and 'canter'! What kind of track records does he have, and what do you plan to do with him now? =]
     
    07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma    
I have to say that here in Wyoming 90% of horses are transported in stock trailers, sometimes with cattle and sometimes just horses. Usually saddled and going out to work. Big, tall, short and small, the ranchers around here do not have separate trailers for cattle and horses, they all go together.

I myself have a 3 horse gooseneck slant load now, but did have a "stock ' trailer for years. Never had an issue. I love my slant load, but would have no issues using a stock trailer. Most stock trailers now are tall enough to fit horses. Heck, some old 4 horse trailers that I see sitting in fields are not big enough for cows, much less for the size of horses these days.
Outfitters use stock trailers for their horses, loaded head to butt and travel that way all the time. We are talking big horses, half draft type.
I have hauled my TB in stock trailers before, and he's always been just fine. He stands 16.3hh and never had an issue. Heck, we just hauled a friends 17hh TB in a stock trailer to a new facility 1 1/2 hours away, he was unscathed.

My Inlaws own and run a Dairy Farm, and we have hauled our horses in the same stock trailer they use for their cattle. Not a big deal.

Quote:
That being said, lets assume that whilst in the trailer, OTTB gets spooked, and his head comes flying up in normal fashion. Lets also assume that this trailer is 6'6, or even 6'8. This would give the horse only 16-18 inches of room to bring his head above his withers. The average horse can draw his head over two and a half feet higher than his withers. And that is with all four feet on the ground. Lets also say that when OTTB jerks his head (or half rears, jumps, etc) he hits his head on the metal roof. Now he most likely ATLEAST has a bruise, possibly worse, and is now scared out of his wits. What is he going to do? Either leap forewards, rear, or kick- all three bad things in a short stock trailer.
Most intelligent people put head bumpers on their horses when trailering.
     
    07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
  #19
Teen Forum Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer    
Most intelligent people put head bumpers on their horses when trailering.
I understand this. However, not many 'intelligent' horse people remain these days, and I very rarely see horses with head bumpers on anymore, and have only seen one or two ottbs wearing one. It is a good idea but is not always used. And even with a head bumper, the ottb can still scare itself when it collides with the metal, can it not?
     
    07-20-2011, 12:07 AM
  #20
Trained
You're jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. Who's to say anything is going to happen in the first place? I've had my fair share in experiences with OTTB's, and I don't recall any hauling experience ending up as ellaborated as you've come up with.

What's your point? I'm pretty sure the person who owns the TB, is intelligent enough to haul the horse in the trailer he owns.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shavings in a stock trailer??? RhondaLynn Horse Trailers 15 12-16-2010 01:28 PM
Stock trailer for sale kari Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 05-20-2009 02:23 PM
Wants: cheap used horse trailer or stock trailer cattleman Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-14-2008 01:46 PM
Hauling 2 horses in a "simple" 4 h stock trailer justice Horse Talk 3 05-28-2008 08:50 PM
How to use a Stock Trailer? Equina Horse Tack and Equipment 11 05-21-2008 12:26 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0