I just got sucked in by this in MN....
First email: Hello,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my trailer. The trailer is in perfect condition - like new! If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the trailer. ONLY AFTER you receive the trailer and you inspect it (you have 5 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the trailer at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the trailer before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : I will know that I have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the trailer before buying it .
The trailer is priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $2,800 including shipping and handling costs. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and move to my sister. I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so i'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the trailer please reply to this email and I will provide further instructions regarding payment and delivery.
I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.
Second email, a response after I asked where it was located and why I couldn't find it on ebay:
I have to let you know that I listed all over US because shipping is included in the price.
The trailer is at eBay's shipping center in New York, NY and from there it will be shipped to my buyer's address. The trailer was listed for sale in an auction on eBay but I have removed the add because of some 'serious' buyers . They promissed they will buy the trailer from me but they proved not to have the money to pay for it .I have registered the trailer with eBay's Vehicle Protection Program and they work only with das auto shippers, so a local pick-up is not an option.This transaction is covered by ebay's purchase protection program up to $50,000 and if something goes wrong in this transaction you will be fully refunded. In the invoice you will have the details on how to make a refundable payment and shipping back the trailer will be my concern. I strongly assure you it will not be the case for a refund. I have used the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully. You pay to eBay and they will transfer the funds to me only after you get the trailer.
The financial part of our transaction is going through eBay's Purchase Protection Program and here are the steps:
- I need your full name, shipping address and phone#;
- I will forward this information to eBay's purchase protection department and they will start our transaction;
- eBay sends you the invoice with payment details for our transaction;
- PayPal can't be used in this transaction because it only covers $ 2000. You will receive instructions to pay through another payment system;
- after they secure the payment, they will notify me and I will start shipping. Shipping will take no more than 5 days (2 days to prepare the shipping and 3 days for the shipping depending on your location).
- after you receive the trailer you will have another 5 days to inspect it.
- when the inspection period ends, eBay contacts you and if there are any issues with the trailer, they will fully refund you within 3 business days and the trailer will be shipped back at my expense. If all is good with the trailer, which I'm sure it will be, they will assist you with the title transfer and release the payment to me.
I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure that everything is clarified before any further steps. I'm a serious seller and I prefer to deal with a serious buyer.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!
I am looking forward to hearing from you.