Straight load question? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Trailers

Straight load question?

This is a discussion on Straight load question? within the Horse Trailers forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree11Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-30-2013, 12:55 AM
      #11
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    http://www.jefferspet.com/images/265/11283.jpg
    ^ with a bungee tie.

    I would clip the bungee onto the original place for it. If the horse moves around a lil its fine.


    -- I wouldnt worry about the butt bar or chain-- Not needed in that situation. Id only really be concerned if it were still in 'straight load' mode. The way your horse will be tied she will be slanted. Removing the divider basically turns your straight load into a slant.
    I always thought a butt bar was necessary if they can get their butt up to the door, and even if she or I remove the divider, they could still set back if the wanted and hit that back door, they only need to swing their butt over and stand as they would in a straight load and then set back..........I'm getting my husband to reweld them....I think you need more between the horses butt and that back door IMO.
    natisha and toto like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
      #12
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    I always thought a butt bar was necessary if they can get their butt up to the door, and even if she or I remove the divider, they could still set back if the wanted and hit that back door, they only need to swing their butt over and stand as they would in a straight load and then set back..........I'm getting my husband to reweld them....I think you need more between the horses butt and that back door IMO.
    I'm not arguing you or saying you're wrong or anything, lol.

    Its just personal preference-- stock trailers don't even come with chains or butt bars. I've always been told its 'just in case' when I asked 'just in case what' I was told a story about a woman that forgot to shut her doors properly and didnt have the chains latched and her mules backed right into the busy intersection, lol. -- don't worry they were fine and she got them back efficiently and safely.

    That and I've literally seen a horse try to back out as soon as he heard the horse next to him unloading, and his big fat butt couldnt push the trailer door opened-- he was about 15.2hh and 1500 pound quarter horse gelding. If my trailer doors can't hold a horse back why have em- right?
         
        04-01-2013, 02:10 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    I always thought a butt bar was necessary if they can get their butt up to the door, and even if she or I remove the divider, they could still set back if the wanted and hit that back door, they only need to swing their butt over and stand as they would in a straight load and then set back..........I'm getting my husband to reweld them....I think you need more between the horses butt and that back door IMO.
    I have to agree with this, just for peace of mind. Course, I'm the type of person who bungee cords my already-safe door latches just because I'm paranoid lol.

    OP - I have a 2 horse straight haul too and usually only haul one horse in it. I prefer to take the divider out whenever I can. In a month though I'm hauling halfways cross the country and am leaving it in because I might be buying another horse. I'm tying the back of the divider to the side of the trailer to give her more room, and putting an additional piece of chain from one butt chain to the other so that I still have a butt chain in place.
    toto likes this.
         
        04-02-2013, 06:55 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Just be careful going side to side with a longer chain,my guy backed onto it and must of felt it move upward because he squatted down a bit got it up on his butt and backed out under it. Burned/skinned his withers as he went under. Thankfully I had pvc on the chain or it would have tore him up bad. Scared the life out of me. I now have a double chain setup (hi and lower) and it works great.
    toto likes this.
         
        04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmax    
    Just be careful going side to side with a longer chain,my guy backed onto it and must of felt it move upward because he squatted down a bit got it up on his butt and backed out under it. Burned/skinned his withers as he went under. Thankfully I had pvc on the chain or it would have tore him up bad. Scared the life out of me. I now have a double chain setup (hi and lower) and it works great.
    Ah good thought!! Didn't cross my mind... I'll see what else I can rig up
         
        04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
      #16
    Trained
    It is important that your trailer is balanced. Roads are graded to be high in the middle in order for rain to sheeth towards the shoulders. If you put her on the right side of the trailer (US, where the driver sits on the left), you will unbalance the trailer. If you cannot easily remove the divider, leave it in and secure everything as if the trailer was fully loaded with horses. Always tie bc you'll spook your horse if he/she puts the head down while in transport and gets it stuck. Yes, I've seen it happen.
    Spend time training your horse to load forward and unload backing at the stable. I often talk to my horses and tell them when they will step down, with "and...Down" as the command. They pay attention, and yours will, too, with repetition. I will thrilled to see a program with Lynn Palm and discovered that she does the same thing.
         
        04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I have front facing horse box (ireland) I would leave the partition in if the horse is anyway spooky or nervous traveller it'll give you peace of mind they can't move about, I have two ponies go to shows regularly and bring one horse for a friend if any of my two are off for any reason, anyway there is a point lol the horse I bring is a divil for leaning on the partition and jumps around I left the partition in last week when bringing her jumping because I was afraid she'd turn herself upside down which I wouldn't put past her. Any of my ponies with our without there fine
    P.S for safety I always check my back ramp if i'm away from box before we head off in case anyone has been at it or its not done corectly just a habit i've got into.
    And i've there ropes tied to baling twine in case of emergencies it'll break easily which Heidi tested last week she flipped and reversed out the door the baling twine snapped no problem she stood on the ramp looking at me as if to say "what are you doing all the way up there looking at me" going I didn't do any thing !
         
        04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
      #18
    Weanling
    Just wanted to say... I trailered my mare the other day with the divider in and the butt chain up. I opened the trailer door and unloaded the other horse first and my mare actually managed to get under the butt chain even WITH the divider in and came out underneath it, ripping some of her mane out in the process. Thank god she didn't get hurt! Definitely putting in an extra lower chain for the shorties like my mare.
    Corporal likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
      #19
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl    
    Just wanted to say... I trailered my mare the other day with the divider in and the butt chain up. I opened the trailer door and unloaded the other horse first and my mare actually managed to get under the butt chain even WITH the divider in and came out underneath it, ripping some of her mane out in the process. Thank god she didn't get hurt! Definitely putting in an extra lower chain for the shorties like my mare.
    Oh gee, that must've been scary!!! How tall is your mare???
         
        04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
      #20
    Trained
    My slant load dividers are solid metal, and I'm very happy with that. I took out the front one bc my 16'3hh gelding rides in front better with more room.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Differences: Slant -v- Straight load? MustAdvocate Horse Trailers 10 07-17-2012 04:26 PM
    Straight Load load/unload alone Mckellar Horse Training 11 07-03-2012 06:59 PM
    What's your preference...slant or straight load? Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Trailers 29 04-26-2012 08:24 PM
    Two horse straight load question? AussieDaisyGirl Horse Trailers 7 05-23-2009 12:53 AM
    Your opinions on trailers - slant, straight load, or 90' Miss Katie Horse Tack and Equipment 12 06-12-2008 01:14 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0