Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton
I also don't see you getting hardly any of your investment back if you ever sell it.
Just touching on that...I think I will. Probably twice over.
All the US members have access to prices that we just don't see up here - looking at the used market in the US trailers are notably cheaper. Yes, I could buy a trailer in the US and import it, but having done that process before I can say with some authority that although it's not necessarily that difficult (although it certainly COULD Be if something went wrong), but it IS time consuming and somewhat expensive. In the end I might save some money (depending on how far I travel to pick it up), but there are downsides:
1- Probably some time off work.
2- Fuel costs
3- Taxes due upon import based on sale price
4- Inspection has to prove it adheres to Canadian standards - anything not in compliance must be modified/fixed before it can be registered here.
5- Would be taking a lot of risks including basically buying sight unseen...and a previous bad experience with that has me once bitten twice shy on that idea.
So, a good 4 horse trailer that most members in this thread would probably consider "acceptable" (based on what I've read right here in this thread) would sell for a minimum of about 5K locally, and even that would yield something with probable less than idea cosmetics, but otherwise probably "ready to roll" out of the box. A decent 2 horse isn't that much less and would likely be a bumper pull which I don't ideally want - I have a 1 to dually and much prefer 5th/GN hitches.
So, looking back at the price of this trailer - if I have $1500 into this trailer by the time I'm all done I know I could flip it tomorrow for $2500 to $3500 with relative ease based solely on what I'm seeing stuff listed (and selling) for locally. That may seen obscene to some of you from the US especially those outside the rust belt that don't know the realities of what we go through up here, but in the end..that's just the way it is north of the 49'th. ;)
Again, despite my seeming "You've already made up your mind"...well, I was waiting for someone to say that, and arguably would have probably said it to someone else if it was their thread - but I'm still going into this with an open mind. Like I said, if we find it a rotten mess I'll run away screaming as it's basically scrap value at that point - probably about $300 worth of scrap iron.
However, I'm also not afraid of a little work, and am capable of doing it all myself, so this is still firmly in the running if it's structurally sound.