Horse killed at CA's in TX? - Page 19 - The Horse Forum

 1492Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,219
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomine View Post
And for whatever reason Texas girl/gal or whatever, you keep posting I shouldn't be writing this or that? What the hell is it to you what I write, or think?

You want to run CA up a flagpole and salute? Go for it.
My post to you to be careful accusing someone of threatening another person was a genuine warning. These situations are emotionally charged, but when you resort to using words like "killed" and accuse people of threatening to intimidate, when there has been no proof or even indication of either, you not only make yourself less than credible, you set yourself up for a lawsuit.

You can be less than credible all you want, I just hate to see someone set themselves up for trouble over an emotional situation that doesn't even involve them.

That's all. It was sincere.

Oh, and I've already stated that I'm not a CA follower. I'm more of a firewoman and recognize firestarters.

I would say that I'll wait for the facts, but I don't think we'll ever know them.

Come join us on the Texas Horse Friends thread.http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk...riends-125927/
texasgal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4,761
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
I don't see why he should give details of what actually happened. I completely agree with him that it is nobody's business, because it isn't. What happens with any horse in his care is between himself and the owner... why inform a person in another state/country what is happening - they aren't paying the training fees.
In a situation this extreme, meaning the death of an animal for undisclosed reasons, it is the business of every single person who considers sending a horse to his program for training. They deserve to know the truth about what really happened, or how can they be sure it WASN't just an accident, and not something that might happen to their horse as well? His response was far from reassuring to anyone who might use his services in the future. In fact, I'd wager he drove away a good bit of business by shooting off at the mouth before he thought about the results.

"Keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle"
apachiedragon is offline  
post #183 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
hmm, I think everyone should read about the program that the link was posted. What the owner wrote goes in direct conflict of the pre boot camp instructions. Makes me think there is alot more questionable truth of the story from the owner, wonder what else she is withholding: from the owners own words: I've been getting him ready by cutting way back on his feed and hay. And he is slimming down and his naughty energy is a tiny bit reduced yet, this is directly from the Academy information page:"While we ask that you don’t work with your horse prior to training, to best ensure he leaves the ranch in good weight, we encourage you to generously feed him before dropping him off at the ranch. Due to the program’s intensity, it is best if the horse is fleshy and a little fat coming into the program. If you’ve underfed your horse and he’s skinny, he’ll have a much harder time gaining weight while in training. Remember, horses are worked six days a week, for at least two hours a day. While your horse will certainly be fed a high quality forage and grain, he’ll burn a lot of calories during training. If the horse comes into the program a little fat, by the end of the 6-week course, he’ll have a perfect body condition score and be in good weight."


Hmm, maybe the owner needs to be more truthful, since she obviously did something before she even sent the horse away... Maybe she knows more than she is saying, maybe she knows exactly what happened, but the real truth doesn't make for good reading or "feel sorry for me" information.
As I stated before, I don't have anything for or against CA.. Trainers train based on what works for them. I feel his letter, though a bit "hot" is his right. Plus, it was posted on HIS page, he has the right to write as he wants.But in typical "feeding frenzy" on the internet and different forums, even his letter is being judged. The conversation between the owner and CA was between them and if it had been left between them all this would be a moot point. But, the owner chose to keep the "frenzy" going by her posts and CA or any trainer has the right to say what he/she needs to to inform the public Frenzy Feeders his side.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #184 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 247
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
hmm, I think everyone should read about the program that the link was posted. What the owner wrote goes in direct conflict of the pre boot camp instructions. Makes me think there is alot more questionable truth of the story from the owner, wonder what else she is withholding: from the owners own words: I've been getting him ready by cutting way back on his feed and hay. And he is slimming down and his naughty energy is a tiny bit reduced yet, this is directly from the Academy information page:"While we ask that you don’t work with your horse prior to training, to best ensure he leaves the ranch in good weight, we encourage you to generously feed him before dropping him off at the ranch. Due to the program’s intensity, it is best if the horse is fleshy and a little fat coming into the program. If you’ve underfed your horse and he’s skinny, he’ll have a much harder time gaining weight while in training. Remember, horses are worked six days a week, for at least two hours a day. While your horse will certainly be fed a high quality forage and grain, he’ll burn a lot of calories during training. If the horse comes into the program a little fat, by the end of the 6-week course, he’ll have a perfect body condition score and be in good weight."


Hmm, maybe the owner needs to be more truthful, since she obviously did something before she even sent the horse away... Maybe she knows more than she is saying, maybe she knows exactly what happened, but the real truth doesn't make for good reading or "feel sorry for me" information.
As I stated before, I don't have anything for or against CA.. Trainers train based on what works for them. I feel his letter, though a bit "hot" is his right. Plus, it was posted on HIS page, he has the right to write as he wants.But in typical "feeding frenzy" on the internet and different forums, even his letter is being judged. The conversation between the owner and CA was between them and if it had been left between them all this would be a moot point. But, the owner chose to keep the "frenzy" going by her posts and CA or any trainer has the right to say what he/she needs to to inform the public Frenzy Feeders his side.

Well, this just shows that there's way more to the story that the general public will ever know. However, the nature of the general public is to speculate . This is just how our brains work--when there's information missing, our brains want, or even need, to fill in the blanks.
horselessmom is offline  
post #185 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
I have no personal experience with CA. Never seen a video, tv show or been to a clinic. I have read a few articles the man has written.
So I can honestly say I don't want to run the man up a flagpole and salute him.
Calling a horse facility a concentration camp run by a madman is highly offensive to this grandson of a Holocaust survivor. Working a horse for 2 hours a day in no way equals the brutal slave labour endured by the victims of those camps.
I have sent a few horses to professional trainers and each time I have signed a waiver in case of injury or death of the horse.
If CA did not shut his facility down for a day of mourning, shed tears, or offer the lady the keys to the facility to ease her grief.... so what.
He has the ability to trash her reputation far more than she can his.
In fact his handling of the situation, tone of his letter, generous offers, and refusal to take legaln action against these accusations has peaked my interest in the mans methods. Positiviely I might add.
I can understand why some may be taken aback by his approach . These colourful metaphors and vieled accusations though have no credibilty. Shalom
dbarabians is offline  
post #186 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 172
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselessmom View Post
It seems strange to me to judge one's horsemanship based on one's FB design. I don't even see her site as "fluff." It is artistic. Different perceptions, I guess.

I think the problem for horse people with the owner's fb page is that art and writing is all about dream space and how things might be. Kind of wishful thinking. And all the costumes and dreams of the Medieval era reflect more of the same. And the Medieval era in a romantic sense, not the bloody gory place it really was.

People who clean stalls see the very earthy side of things.

Also, most horse people are very down to earth because it is dangerous not to be. Horses are best dealt with in a very realistic way, which is why people are saying over and over that they are NOT dogs and it is dangerous to anthropomorphise them.

And don't forget that the owner sent her horse to CA BECAUSE he was becoming dangerous.

(I should point out that I know little about CA and his methods. Most of my knowledge about horses comes from doing and hands on instruction.)
onuilmar is offline  
post #187 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,483
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomine View Post
And more than likely he threatened owner too, with being sued.
What do you personally have against CA? Because it seems like everything you've put in this thread is a direct attack against him or at least insinuating unsubstantiated negatives about him.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #188 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,958
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachiedragon View Post
In a situation this extreme, meaning the death of an animal for undisclosed reasons, it is the business of every single person who considers sending a horse to his program for training. They deserve to know the truth about what really happened, or how can they be sure it WASN't just an accident, and not something that might happen to their horse as well? His response was far from reassuring to anyone who might use his services in the future. In fact, I'd wager he drove away a good bit of business by shooting off at the mouth before he thought about the results.
Unless there is a publicized blog, video or other means of media about the on going training of the animal and the incident it is none of our business. Why should I feel some sense of entitlement to be apart of somebody else's life? Could you imagine the uproar is somebody called and asked about the progress of another client's horse and he told them? An owner would be livid. Can you imagine walking up to a trainer and saying "I heard Flicka died, I was thinking of sending a horse here so you must tell me what happened". The trainer would tell you where to shove it. Just because society wants to be nosey and involved in something that has zero to do with them, it does not give them that right.

Trainers of all makes will get good and bad reviews. It is a part of the process - some people like the way things are done, some don't. You can't please anybody.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #189 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,038
• Horses: 0
Does CA take regular horses in for training, or just this "boot camp" stuff? I always thought the point of his "program" (I hate that word used with horses, almost as much as I hate the word "frame") was that average horsepeople could work with their own problem horses. Seems to me to contradict his other teachings. If the horse got two+ hours WORK at home, it may not need boot camp, but I could be wrong, of course.

Just a rambling thought. Also seems like for the welfare of all those $25,000 horses on his place, he would have wanted to know what killed the horse, and if he had thought to put it that way to miss faeriehorse, maybe avoided a lot of this. Hindsight is 20\20.
greentree is online now  
post #190 of 408 Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
What do you personally have against CA? Because it seems like everything you've put in this thread is a direct attack against him or at least insinuating unsubstantiated negatives about him.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have also wondered that. According to her, CA is obviously at fault, no way could an accident happened. She is just quoting the owners information. Maybe she is a friend of the owner? Maybe she is one of the "feeding frenzy" folks I was talking about. Drama drama drama

The way I see it, what happened is between CA and the owner. Nobody elses business. What happened is between them, not the internet, not all the nosy folks who demand to be told. Here is an example:someone brings their animal to the vet clinic. The animal dies during surgery for something.The DR and the owner discuss what happened and the probability of why. (possible reaction to anesthetic as an example, heart attack, etc) Owner doesn't want autopsy, even at Dr expense. So, case is closed. Or so DR thinks. But pretty soon his name is being spread all over as a bad vet, quack, animal killer, etc. Hmm, seems owner got on facebook, says her animal died and then the "feeding frenzy" folks get involved and the internet goes wild. Well, so and so had this happen at this DR's clinic. So and so says the vet dropped the dog on the floor before surgery. So and so says the dog died in its cage and didn't even have surgery. And the list goes on and on.
Remember the game "telephone" You sit in a big circle and whisper a word in the next person's ear? By the time it gets around the circle, the word turns into something totally different. Everyone has the right to defend themselves, especially against the internet nosybodies.
Anyone can say what they want, can say this particular trainer is bad, abusive, cruel, horses die with him, etc... don't send your horse there because he is cruel, yadda yadda.
It is nobody's business.. The horse is dead for whatever reason. Maybe she starved him so badly his system shut down. Animals that have feed withheld "so his naughty ways calm down" might not have been able to handle the work started on him, even though it is directly written to feed the animals "up" so they carry a bit more weight to begin the program.
I think there is alot more truth to this story than the owner is willing to admit. What we hear is her version and speculation by the internet "feeding frenzy" to keep it going.
wyominggrandma is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice - horse was shot and killed sarah wood Horse Health 28 01-22-2013 08:46 PM
That horse could've been killed... tempest Horse Talk 2 08-16-2009 09:02 PM
My horse killed a dog whitetrashwarmblood Horse Talk 30 05-27-2009 01:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome