Now I've heard everything... - The Horse Forum
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,260
• Horses: 4
Now I've heard everything...

Today I was told that a running martingale saves the mouth.

head...desk.
Corporal and amp23 like this.
palogal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Well...it does ........the mouth of the rider....horse head cannot make contact with face/mouth of rider with martingale.....
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,321
• Horses: 1
I think in certain circumstances it could. Would it help if a rider is very heavy handed or who uses the reins for balance? Instead of all their weight on the poor horses mouth, it would be somewhat deflected by the reins.

No evidence to support this. It's just a thought as to why someone would think so.
Posted via Mobile Device
DancingArabian is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,260
• Horses: 4
LOL I suppose that's true.
The ring makes a lever that multiplies the force on the bit. (edited because it sounded much snottier than I meant it :) )

Last edited by palogal; 06-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
palogal is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39,017
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
I think in certain circumstances it could. Would it help if a rider is very heavy handed or who uses the reins for balance? Instead of all their weight on the poor horses mouth, it would be somewhat deflected by the reins.

No evidence to support this. It's just a thought as to why someone would think so.
Posted via Mobile Device
deflects it off their mouth? how can pressure on the rein, thus onto the bit, be deflected off the mouth by a running martingale? pressure applied to the rein is pressure applied to the rein. you can change the angle that the pressure is applied, but the same amount would come through.

If the horse raises his head or the rider lifts the rein enough to engage the martingale, then some of the pull become downward pull, rather than straight back or upward. downward pull brings the bit more to bear onto the bars of the horse. Does that save the mouth? maybe takes pressure off the corners of the mouth, since pulling straight back does put pressure there.
smrobs and Nokotaheaven like this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 807
• Horses: 2
me-thinks someone needs to take a physics class or two
texasgal, Corporal and xJumperx like this.
Boo Walker is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,260
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Walker View Post
me-thinks someone needs to take a physics class or two

That was my response, masked with a cough to disguise my laughter. This is a trainer that does this....
Corporal likes this.
palogal is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,321
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
deflects it off their mouth? how can pressure on the rein, thus onto the bit, be deflected off the mouth by a running martingale? pressure applied to the rein is pressure applied to the rein. you can change the angle that the pressure is applied, but the same amount would come through.

If the horse raises his head or the rider lifts the rein enough to engage the martingale, then some of the pull become downward pull, rather than straight back or upward. downward pull brings the bit more to bear onto the bars of the horse. Does that save the mouth? maybe takes pressure off the corners of the mouth, since pulling straight back does put pressure there.
Bear in mind that I was just trying to figure out why someone would think this and I was NOT stating I believed it.

If a rider is leaning on the reins, all their pressure is directly on the horse's mouth. If the reins are passing through the bit and to the girth, wouldn't some of that pressure on the mouth be lessened and distributed to the girth as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
DancingArabian is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,813
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
Bear in mind that I was just trying to figure out why someone would think this and I was NOT stating I believed it.

If a rider is leaning on the reins, all their pressure is directly on the horse's mouth. If the reins are passing through the bit and to the girth, wouldn't some of that pressure on the mouth be lessened and distributed to the girth as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, the girth just holds the bottom of the martingale down. The reins go through rings & there should be no pressure unless the horse tosses or raises it's head past a certain point.
I will sometimes use a running martingale as it gives instant pressure & release. I adjust it pretty loose so a horse has to really be a head tosser before it comes into play & even then the rider still has a choice on how much pressure is applied.
natisha is online now  
post #10 of 33 Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,318
• Horses: 0
i hope that the martingale is not attached to a bit with shanks..
stevenson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone ever heard this? livelovelaughride Horse Health 2 11-12-2012 08:02 AM
You've heard it all before, but I need help. mbender Horse Health 19 08-20-2010 11:16 PM
Ever heard of this? RubaiyateBandit Horse Riding 49 07-20-2009 05:54 PM
has any one ever heard of..... myhorsesonador Horse Grooming 10 07-10-2009 04:58 PM
Every heard of this? rosie9r Horse Health 2 06-01-2009 12:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome