Parelli - The Truth - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Trainers

Parelli - The Truth

This is a discussion on Parelli - The Truth within the Horse Trainers forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Bryan neubert forum site:www.horseforum.com

Like Tree182Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-18-2013, 04:07 PM
  #31
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
wish I could say I felt I'd graduated@! Today I did a little round pen, line work with Z and basically just proceeded to confus the heck out of him. He's a good sport, tho and tolerates a multitude of stumbling on my part. Some horses would not be so generous.
Heck, I dread to think of how many horses I messed up when I first started!

We all make mistakes, the good trainer will realise that one system does not work with all and alter their technique to suit.

Many moons ago I had two horses, they were by the same stallion out of two full sister mares. They could not be more different if you compared a Shetland to a Shire!
One was bold and brash, the other was a nervous wreck. Cough or sneeze when riding him and he would freak.
My trainer, who was an excellent rider, would not ride the latter because the horse just went to pieces.

I progressed to taking lessons with a top dressage trainer. The nervy horse took to the tough classes well but the brash one went totally to pieces and was, I swear, having a nervous breakdown. The trainer, good as he was, would not let me work him in a different way so I stopped the lessons on that horse,

Luckily, he settled and I worked him at home, I learned a lot from the trainer and adapted that to suit the brash horse. It worked because when it came to competition riding, usually the brash one was placed higher.
jaydee likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
  #32
Foal
Parelli The Truth - More Comments

Hi To All,

I respect your comments and would like to address a few of those. Yes, I stayed with it for 8 years because I was always hopeful that something better would happen, I was basically giving them the benefit of the doubt but, after too many personal experiences and after hearing too many comments from other people, not personally involved with the program, but who know many of the crooked things that went on, that is when I my patience finally broke. Because I wanted to have some faith in something cost me a lot, so I want others to save their money and their time. I wish I could address the horsemanship aspect but because their focus was so money driven, that there is not enough horsemanship to criticize. It was also after leaving Parelli that I discovered that what they teach lacks so deeply in true horsemanship. Pat has gone so far from what Ray and Tom Dorrance, and others, wanted for horses because of his ego, not because of anything else. By the way, Pat has nothing to do with marketing, it is the people he chose to bring on board.

And to those of you who support their marketing, what I am hearing you say is that you support dishonesty. Are you suggesting that in order to be effective, marketers have to be blatantly dishonest about their products? Claiming a rope is the best because of the qualities it exhibits is not dishonesty and it is my choice or your choice to purchase that rope or not. But, to openly advertise course content, courses that cost thousands of dollars and then to teach something completely different goes beyond marketing. That is pure dishonesty and scamming of decent human beings. Do you really support that behavior?

What about the fact that Parelli has a 100% refund policy and yet will not give the money back? Do you just chalk that up to marketing as well? Do you think they have a right to do that because they have "effective marketers"? I think I am at a loss to understand some of your comments on this regard. Personally, I would have had way more respect for them if they had paid the course back. That would have shown a level of integrity and honesty that would have actually made me question some of the other things I have mentioned. But, it only reinforced that they have little regard for people, horses, community, or anything they claim. One of the main tenets of Parelli is put the relationship first. Do you think that action reinforced their mission statement?

As for speaking to their lack of horsemanship versus others, my goal is to demonstrate that these people have no values, are not interested in the horse, and care little for the horses or you. Why would anyone then believe that their horsemanship is real? I did not think anyone else knew better than Parelli but perhaps if someone had told me some of these things years ago, I would have gone somewhere else, much earlier. That is what I want for people now.

Study with the masters, not the dilution factor called Parelli instructors. You can still get out there and study directly with Buck Brannaman, Martin Black, Mark Rashid, Bryan Neubert, Joe Wolther and the list goes on. These guys don't have big enough ego to develop a program like the monster that Parelli has become, because they are truly about teaching about the horse.

I'm just trying to get people to see the reality, and hopefully not get caught up in the fantasy, as I did.
Mochachino likes this.
     
    08-20-2013, 12:42 PM
  #33
mcw
Foal
I've mentioned him before, but, if you want incredible "natural" horsemanship, look up Jordan Brasser. No hype, no fancy gadgets. Just the best horse trainer you'll ever find. I swear he can talk to a horse! Problem horse...no problem for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-20-2013, 01:22 PM
  #34
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHorseNut    

And to those of you who support their marketing, what I am hearing you say is that you support dishonesty. Are you suggesting that in order to be effective, marketers have to be blatantly dishonest about their products? Claiming a rope is the best because of the qualities it exhibits is not dishonesty and it is my choice or your choice to purchase that rope or not. But, to openly advertise course content, courses that cost thousands of dollars and then to teach something completely different goes beyond marketing. That is pure dishonesty and scamming of decent human beings. Do you really support that behavior?
Marketing is all about the flash and trash, so if someone is determined to buy into the hype do you really think someone telling them NOT to do it is going to make them reconsider? Did you listen when people told you that Parelli was a waste of time and money? Obviously not, or you wouldn't be here crying the blues about how they taught you nothing and stole all your money.

If people are too stupid, gullible, or just plain pig headed to listen to folks who know better, how is it their fault if someone else has bought into the marketing machine?

Every seller of something hypes it with fantastic claims that don't actually work. Look no further than the makeup industry for the best example. 'Look 20 years younger! All you need to do is buy this cream/salve/foundation, goop!' No matter that the models they're using are maybe 21 years old, if not younger.

People believe what they want to because it fulfills a particular desire for them, and they don't want to hear the unvarnished truth until their little fantasies come back to bite them in the butt.

You can't save other people from themselves. If they want to believe the hype, they will. It has nothing to do with whether or not I approve of what the Parellis are doing. It's not illegal, although I do think it's immoral and unethical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHorseNut    
What about the fact that Parelli has a 100% refund policy and yet will not give the money back?
Take them to court if you're so adamant about wanting a refund. That's the only way you'll ever get your money back. I'm betting their contracts are worded in such a way that you're out of luck, though. Most hucksters make sure the house never takes a hit, only the marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHorseNut    
I did not think anyone else knew better than Parelli but perhaps if someone had told me some of these things years ago, I would have gone somewhere else, much earlier.
Doubtful, as you were completely starry-eyed about the Parellis and how they were revolutionizing horse training. Anyone who may have approached you, and I'm sure there were some, were just brushed off as unenlightened heathens who couldn't see the truth. Gunsels I believe the Parelli followers call those of us who don't drink the Kook-ade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHorseNut    
I'm just trying to get people to see the reality, and hopefully not get caught up in the fantasy, as I did.
You're still coming off as bitter that the Parellis weren't what they claimed, despite all your protestations that you're only interested in keeping other people from being fleeced.
     
    08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
  #35
Green Broke
I think any animosity OP feels toward the company is understandable. The horse world is full of disappointing gimmicks. It's especially sucky when you put lots of money into it.

I have never bought into the NH bit... It's just not my cup of tea.
cpr saves likes this.
     
    08-20-2013, 01:45 PM
  #36
Banned
Well maybe the OP should have asked for opinions about the Parellis, their wonder gadgets, and their claims of being The Way The Truth and The Light, before she bought into it all.

If I had gotten taken like that I'd be plenty angry; at myself, for not doing the proper research and due diligence before throwing my money away.

She needs to take some responsibility for her own culpability, not blame it entirely on the Parellis. After all, she was happy to throw money at them for 8 years. I'd think anyone who realizes they're getting taken could have figured it out long before then.

There's something here the OP isn't telling us. We're definitely not getting the whole story, only what she wants to tell us to make herself look like the hapless, innocent victim of the big, bad, evil Parellis.
     
    08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
  #37
Showing
"Yes, I stayed with it for 8 years because I was always hopeful that something better would happen, I was basically giving them the benefit of the doubt". At any time did you have a conversation with PP to express your concerns?
     
    08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
  #38
Super Moderator
The one guy I know that stayed with them for several years kept thinking he would start 'cashing in' as a result of his being a 3 star instructor and he finally woke up to the fact that he would make more money and have more clients if was not spending half of his money with PP. He also got tired of trying to defend PP to the very big group of people that are completely turned off by him and Linda. I think he is doing more clinics and a lot more training now that he is not associated with them.
AlexS likes this.
     
    08-21-2013, 01:29 AM
  #39
Started
1. I find that the OP has done a service by sharing her experiences here: if just one person is saved from wasting money, time, & effort going in the wrong direction with horses, the thread has served its purpose.

Because some of you are so wise as to see through scams more easily than others, it doesn't mean that those less, um, savvy to scams are to be belittled. Life is for learning & each learns at his own pace.

2. The horsemanship: This is where PNH is not so cut & dried, imo. The book did have a lot of true horsemanship, true horse psychology, etc. The foundation of the 7 Games is just good groundwork. Hands that release quickly & close slowly, & so many other principles are good horsemanship. Yet, too many chiefs & not enough Indians has obfuscated the horsemanship directives, for one thing. For another thing, Pat himself seems to have changed his methods a bit: there was "monkey riding" before my time in the program - don't ask me what it was, not sure - & he said not to longe a horse round & round in mindless circles, but now sends his horses 40 laps one way. He used to call a medium-drape rein a "BS" rein, now it's used constantly in the program, and so on. One never knows when a practice in PNH will be replaced, & how long it'll take for a faulty practice to be replaced, while, in the meantime, one's horse may be suffering it!
azarni and christopher like this.
     
    08-21-2013, 10:18 AM
  #40
roo
Foal
Sharing your opinions is always welcome and its nice to here from other view points,however I feel like the statement about if people support them they are supporting dishonesty is not okay.if people want to support them and find that the program is working for them,why shouldnt they?all the trainers get money and probably loads of it.I wouldve worded that differently it came off as attacking people who choose to follow it.Your opinion is valued just choose your words different next time.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truth ! HorseCourage Games 514 06-11-2013 10:04 AM
Parelli Hackamore/Parelli Collection clothing snootyfox Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 12-11-2011 12:48 PM
Anti-parelli. This proves it! Parelli is a rip off and... Nature2horses Natural Horsemanship 3 03-17-2010 12:43 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0