STUD problems!! - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 263Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,255
• Horses: 4
I agree. We need to know what's actually going on.
palogal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Perhaps he would make a great gelding. Is there a reason he is still a stud?
Honestly just trying to find the right vet to do it he only has one testicle atm and he dropped VERY late the vet around here asked us to wait for a while and we did but only one testicle ever dropped. So I am saving and trying to find a vet I trust to cut him because obviously this one isn't going to be of much assistance. I was just wondering if his behavior had anything to do with the stud fact or for other reasons
franknbeans likes this.

Last edited by pheonix; 08-06-2013 at 02:57 AM.
pheonix is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
Any gender of horse is capable of acting like a fool when other horses are "running around him" ... Definitely a training issue, and stallions can be trained to behave just like mares and geldings ... with the right trainer.

I am concerned that if you don't understand the issue or why he is reacting this way then the fact that he IS a stallion could make him dangerous to you and to others.

My advice would be to geld him and get a trainer. If he's just too amazing to geld - sell him to someone who knows how to handle him.
I do have a handler/ trainer the problem is He rides perfect until he sees another horse running ( doing barrels, pasture, etc) I just wondered if he was doing it because he is a stud or because of some instinct to herd
pheonix is offline  
post #14 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
Is your stallion 2 or 4? Or do you have two?
I have a 4 year old stallion, 2 year old stallion, a four month old colt, a 3 year old gelding,and a 3 year old mare.
pheonix is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny View Post
Herd mentality.

My concern here is for your safety, the safety of your horse, and others you may ride with. He is a young horse and I'm guessing still pretty green. Stallions aren't good horses for inexperienced people. Without an understanding of basic horse behavior you are leaving yourself open to a lot of problems and may end up with a horse that will need a lot of retraining down the road.
My humble advice would be to geld him and get some help from those with experience.

He's not green, he just hasn't been exposed to much. He's been rode 4-6 times a week since he was 3 , but I usually do It after everyone has left the barn so I have no interuptions
pheonix is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexious View Post
I feel like we need some clarification on the situation... You say "running around him", but I'm confused about the context. I'm assuming this is all on the ground. Are you saying that a horse in the same pasture/paddock is running around in close proximity? That creates a very dangerous situation for you, in particular.
Or, are you saying that a horse in another paddock is misbehaving?

I would suggest a stud chain, but only if you're familiar with how to use them properly. Also, I would employ the help of a trainer. Are you boarding him somewhere, or is he kept on your property? Is there a professional you can ask for help?
I am sorry I should have been a bit more clear, He will ride completely perfect with mares, other studs, and geldings ( he's never even yelled). Unless we're riding and they start running barrels or something of the sorts. He has been to the trainers and they couldn't help (the trainer never explained why) well the only reason I have gotten concerned about it because usually I can get him back under control, but this past time My trainer was riding him and another horse came by and they we're fine then the horse started running, my stud then proceeded to buck and my trainer hits funny and now has whip lash. I was just wondering if gelding him would fix our problem
pheonix is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,472
• Horses: 3
No, gelding him won't fix the problem, but getting a different training approach will. Any problems in his behaviour will still be there after gelding him but he might be a little easier to handle without the extra testosterone fueling his brain. Also it's much a better situation if he bucks one of you off and gets away, a loose gelding poses less risk than a loose stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device
waresbear is online now  
post #18 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 896
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
I have the money to get him gelded by a vet around here, but I'd rather take him to a specialist due to only having one testicle and the vet around here isn't someone I'd trust gelding him. I didn't ask you to be rude or even comment on the fact that I don't have the money to take him to a more qualified vet in a different state. I asked If gelding him would fix the problem.
Gelding him will be a great cure. It will prevent him from getting away from you and breeding or killing someone elses horse.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
No, gelding him won't fix the problem, but getting a different training approach will. Any problems in his behaviour will still be there after gelding him but he might be a little easier to handle without the extra testosterone fueling his brain. Also it's much a better situation if he bucks one of you off and gets away, a loose gelding poses less risk than a loose stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have been lucky so far, I have never came off him, but my trainer did once and luckily he just stood beside the trainer waiting for him to get up ( by that time the man running the horse past him was gone) Thankfully
pheonix is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Powhatan, Virginia
Posts: 877
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
I have the money to get him gelded by a vet around here, but I'd rather take him to a specialist due to only having one testicle and the vet around here isn't someone I'd trust gelding him. I didn't ask you to be rude or even comment on the fact that I don't have the money to take him to a more qualified vet in a different state. I asked If gelding him would fix the problem.
I'm being realistic, not rude. It's irresponsible to own that many horses when you can't afford to take him out of state to geld him. What happens if the others need a "specialist" to geld them, too? Then you're left with 3 studs.
xlionesss is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucking problems... and taking off problems... Just PROBLEMS!!!! Bandera Horse Training 38 11-10-2012 06:22 PM
Breeding Stud turned Riding horse problems horselvr Horse Training 43 06-06-2011 05:44 PM
What do you think of my new stud? darkpaloma Horse Riding Critique 29 01-08-2011 11:02 AM
...still looking for a stud... farmpony84 Horse Breeding 25 08-28-2008 12:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome