STUD problems!! - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Trainers

STUD problems!!

This is a discussion on STUD problems!! within the Horse Trainers forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree263Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-06-2013, 06:36 AM
      #21
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xlionesss    
    I'm being realistic, not rude. It's irresponsible to own that many horses when you can't afford to take him out of state to geld him. What happens if the others need a "specialist" to geld them, too? Then you're left with 3 studs.
    I disagree here. That's like saying if you can't afford colic surgery for all of your horses simultaniously that you shouldn't have them(10k+). My trainer has a stallion that she will be gelding soon, and no local vets will touch him. She was quoted what I thought was an absurdly large sum (5k+).
    Of course she had to start saving- she only had 3k stored. Does that make her irresponsible?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
      #22
    Green Broke
    My concern is other people's safety. It's no surprise that if you come off your stallion will breed or kill other horses. If he were any old horse I'd say take him to some barrel shows and let him hang out. Only problem is God forbid he gets loose. Maybe you can do it at home instead. Have someone walk, trot, canter and gallop around you and you make sure his attention is on you. If he doesnt listen back him, growl at him, move him around, whatever it takes to make him focus on you and you only.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
      #23
    Green Broke
    OP .. since we are talking about a training issue, I believe he needs to be desensitized to other horses running, jumping, doing whatever around him. The only way to do that is to put him in that situation.

    I would begin by either being there when that is going on, or hauling him to barrel races, etc. and tie him up where he can see and hear that going on ALL.DAY.LONG.

    Alot of folks will haul their yearlings and two-year olds to barrel races or rodeos for that reason. They just get used to all the commotion.

    Until he's completely bored with all that, don't ride him. Start back with basics, ground work, especially if there is activity going on and progress from there.

    Surgery to remove a testicle from the abdomen isn't cheap, so I feel your pain there. Gelding him won't change the behavior, but as others have pointed out, it will be safer for you and for others, especially with the training issues going on.

    He's only 4. He's going to get continually more and more frustrated and you're having a hard time handling him now. I would make gelding him priority one.

    Good luck!
         
        08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
      #24
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texasgal    
    He's only 4. He's going to get continually more and more frustrated and you're having a hard time handling him now. I would make gelding him priority one.
    100% agree. Get him gelded and after the hormones settle see where he is at and then make a plan to retrain.
         
        08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
      #25
    Started
    Yikes...no simple castration there. Do you have a vet school in your area? A lot of horse owners use the one here in western Oregon for out-of-the-ordinary issues.
    Texasgal has a good point. Getting him used to a lot of activity should help.
    What are your plans for him as far as discipline or activity?
         
        08-06-2013, 12:05 PM
      #26
    Green Broke
    Gelding your horse won't solve your problem. As someone else in the thread said earlier, a misbehaved stallion will make a misbehaved gelding. That's not to say you shouldn't geld him--is there a reason (besides money) that you're keeping him a stallion? Does he have any sort of record?

    As far as his issue, it's a very dangerous one. I'm assuming that you show him (he is a stallion, so he must do something [I hope]), and show grounds are very hectic. There are lots of horses moving around, etcetera.
    Try sending him to a different trainer? I seriously hope you didn't pay someone to tell you "We couldn't solve your problem" without giving telling you why, and giving you recommendations to who could.
    Ray MacDonald likes this.
         
        08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pheonix    
    He's not green, he just hasn't been exposed to much. he's been rode 4-6 times a week since he was 3 , but I usually do It after everyone has left the barn so I have no interuptions
    You've given the perfect example of a GREEN horse. Sure, you ride him most days, but he's still green.

    No interruptions? I actually encourage and want commotion around me when working with a green horse because it gives me the opportunity to teach them how to handle a stressful situation and stay calm and stay listening to me. To each his own on that one.

    Do you have any intentions of breeding him? Is he even worthy of breeding? Then there's no reason he shouldn't be gelded immediately when the vet says it is safe to do so in his situation. I guarantee gelding him will help immensely. No, it won't remove the behavior (because you've allowed him to learn it) but it should make re-training much easier than if you didn't geld him.

    In general, this horse needs to be taught more respect. It shouldn't matter if the world is blowing up around you; he should still stay focused on only one thing --> YOU. I would definitely be doing regular ground work exercises with this horse to get his attention and respect on you.
         
        08-06-2013, 12:38 PM
      #28
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pheonix    
    I am sorry I should have been a bit more clear, He will ride completely perfect with mares, other studs, and geldings ( he's never even yelled). Unless we're riding and they start running barrels or something of the sorts. He has been to the trainers and they couldn't help (the trainer never explained why) well the only reason I have gotten concerned about it because usually I can get him back under control, but this past time My trainer was riding him and another horse came by and they we're fine then the horse started running, my stud then proceeded to buck and my trainer hits funny and now has whip lash. I was just wondering if gelding him would fix our problem
    Gelding will settle him somewhat and make him slightly less reactive. You will most likely still have a training problem, but cutting him should help. Until he's cut, stay off of him and do ground work unless someone is lunging or leading you and see if that helps.
    He's very green and has not been started correctly it sounds like.
         
        08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
      #29
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dustbunny    
    Yikes...no simple castration there. Do you have a vet school in your area? A lot of horse owners use the one here in western Oregon for out-of-the-ordinary issues.
    Texasgal has a good point. Getting him used to a lot of activity should help.
    What are your plans for him as far as discipline or activity?
    I second that. Look into a local vet school. It would be a great learning experience for the students and they are completely supervised by there professors.
         
        08-06-2013, 01:09 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    Well, there is also a big difference between gelding a horse and colic surgery.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bucking problems... and taking off problems... Just PROBLEMS!!!! Bandera Horse Training 38 11-10-2012 07:22 PM
    Breeding Stud turned Riding horse problems horselvr Horse Training 43 06-06-2011 06:44 PM
    What do you think of my new stud? darkpaloma Horse Riding Critique 29 01-08-2011 12:02 PM
    ...still looking for a stud... farmpony84 Horse Breeding 25 08-28-2008 01:35 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0