What kind of craziness has entered my ears this time..
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Trainers

What kind of craziness has entered my ears this time..

This is a discussion on What kind of craziness has entered my ears this time.. within the Horse Trainers forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree30Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-01-2013, 09:37 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    What kind of craziness has entered my ears this time..

    Another question for you all, regarding a trainer I recently watched train her horses.

    She believed that it is more beneficial to a horses success, to do most of it's training at the end of a line. All she would really do is long line the horse in a round pen. She claimed it taught softness and acceptance of the bridle, even though the horse would pull like heck at the end of the lines.
    Then for the riding, she would use a western saddle on saddle seat horses since it is better for their back. In addition, the horse would have a twisted wire bit in (which changed ride to ride, never the same, consistent bit), with the reins running through a martingale, similar to this: Winner's Circle Horse Supplies, Saddlebred and Gaited Horse Specialists - Perfection Training Martingale
    On top of that, there would be draw reins. The rider would have 2 sets of reins.

    Now tell me, is this kind of training, actually good training? Because all that runs through my mind is that the martingale and draw reins are creating holes in the training, and that the lunging is killing the horses joints and mouth for that matter..
    amberly likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-02-2013, 07:55 AM
      #2
    Foal
    Inconsistency is bad. If she's supposed to be teaching softness and acceptance, an the horses always pull, then she's not teaching very effectively, sounds like. I think martingales and draw reins have their place, and their place is not all the time every time. Honestly I can't say I'm a fan of this trainer's methods at all, and that's putting it lightly.
         
        07-02-2013, 09:50 AM
      #3
    Started
    Does the martingale have the running attachment as well or is it more like this
    http://images02.sstack.weblinc.com/r...446.a.zoom.jpg

    The draw reins seem excessive, I agree. The twisted snaffle may also be excessive if she's being rough with it. Long lining itself is not a bad thing and useful for "riding" a horse without actually riding. I know many trainers that will long line prior to riding, especially young/green horses and as a random refresher with the seasoned horses. The Western saddle in place of the cutback is irrelevant for the most part. I do agree that she's missing something if the horse is still pulling with no overall improvement. I always ride/school with a martingale like the one I posted, but it has 10 rings for flexibility. My horse is also young, green, and can get his head high if he's frustrated or working through something. That makes it more difficult to help him work through it if I'm trying to not get knocked out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-02-2013, 10:40 AM
      #4
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SEAmom    
    Does the martingale have the running attachment as well or is it more like this
    http://images02.sstack.weblinc.com/r...446.a.zoom.jpg

    The draw reins seem excessive, I agree. The twisted snaffle may also be excessive if she's being rough with it. Long lining itself is not a bad thing and useful for "riding" a horse without actually riding. I know many trainers that will long line prior to riding, especially young/green horses and as a random refresher with the seasoned horses. The Western saddle in place of the cutback is irrelevant for the most part. I do agree that she's missing something if the horse is still pulling with no overall improvement. I always ride/school with a martingale like the one I posted, but it has 10 rings for flexibility. My horse is also young, green, and can get his head high if he's frustrated or working through something. That makes it more difficult to help him work through it if I'm trying to not get knocked out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Yeah it's a martingale like that. I went over to ride my friends horse, and I was expecting a cutback saddle and the double bridle I used to ride the horse in, and they threw all this stuff on. I was completely dumbfounded.

    The trainer herself is VERY rough on the horses' mouths, so I really don't see how these horses improve. The horse I rode did have a load of improvement from the last time I rode her, but I'm waiting for one day when they don't have all the "extra" junk on, and something goes wrong.

    As for the long lining, it seemed like it was just something to take the place of actual riding. With my knowledge of their trainer, they long lined probably over 85% of the time, and the rest was riding. Now as for my horse, long lining and riding would be 2 completely different things. My horse as an individual, it wouldn't matter if he was a perfect horse under long lining, I would still have to work hard under saddle to keep him good.

    Maybe it's just me personally that sees a problem with this training method since the whole time I've been into horses, I trained only under saddle.. Who knows
         
        07-02-2013, 11:04 AM
      #5
    Yearling
    I personally think long lining a horse is very beneficial. I also see nothing wrong with using that type of martingale. I do think anyone that is jerking on a horses mouth has issues but... I guess I would have to see it first hand to make any statements about that. I think working a horse in more then one way is beneficial but one must also be consistent in the way the horse is worked. You can do that and still work from the ground and the horses back.
         
        07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
      #6
    Showing
    Just based on your description, you couldn't pay me enough money to let her touch one of my horses.

    Sure, martingales and draw reins and twisted bits have their place, but not all together and not on every single horse...not even on most horses.

    It sounds like she's just one that "trains" through brute force and while I'm not a touchy-feely trainer, I completely disagree with most of what she's said.

    The whole thing about long-lining is semi-true. It does greatly benefit a horse...if done correctly. Allowing the horse to pull on the lines all the time is only teaching the horse to have a hard mouth and be resistant.

    Whether a western saddle is better on their back or not is debatable. The only thing a western saddle does differently than an english style is to spread the weight over more surface area...but it depends on whether the saddle actually fits or not.
         
        07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
      #7
    Showing
    When the horse is pulling on the lunge, have you noticed it's head is turned away. It wants out of there. When it presents it's jaw it's attention on the handler is gone. She needs to rethink how she does this to keep the horse focused on forward movement, not fighting her. With her choice of bits and martingale she is attempting a head set but it is a false one. A good head set starts with the engine and collection with finesse from the bridle.
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    She wanted me to be one of her stablehands, and after seeing all that, I told her I would think about it.. I never talked to her again.

    Another thing she did, while trainer her halter horse, was unimaginable. She would have a chain on him, and carry a long lunge whip. She would go to set the horse up, and when he was stretching good (to my standards) she would yank on the chain to get his attention on her. If his ears went back or he still wasn't "perfect" the lunge whip would be snapped at his sides... This horse had PURE TERROR in his eyes, and was scared to death to be near her.. I've never seen something so terrible in my life
         
        07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
      #9
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KylieHuitema    
    She wanted me to be one of her stablehands, and after seeing all that, I told her I would think about it.. I never talked to her again.

    Another thing she did, while trainer her halter horse, was unimaginable. She would have a chain on him, and carry a long lunge whip. She would go to set the horse up, and when he was stretching good (to my standards) she would yank on the chain to get his attention on her. If his ears went back or he still wasn't "perfect" the lunge whip would be snapped at his sides... This horse had PURE TERROR in his eyes, and was scared to death to be near her.. I've never seen something so terrible in my life
    Oooooh, this is making my blood boil!! How awesome it would be if an Animal Control Officer had been "discretely and anonymously" (are you following me here?) called to witness this act.....
    showjumperachel likes this.
         
        07-02-2013, 07:08 PM
      #10
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northernstar    
    Oooooh, this is making my blood boil!! How awesome it would be if an Animal Control Officer had been "discretely and anonymously" (are you following me here?) called to witness this act.....

    If I return there, I probably will. My friend didn't even blink an eye at this since she's been around it so long. I hate how all these unacceptable things be considered acceptable when its done by someone higher than you.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Craziness on horseback! Roperchick Horse Pictures 29 02-02-2013 12:30 PM
    My new horse has now entered training and I am so excited! HalfPass Horse Training 12 11-21-2009 03:02 PM
    What kind of puppy should I get when the time comes? Horsiegal1774 General Off Topic Discussion 3 05-26-2008 04:20 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0