Your opinion on Parelli - Page 20 - The Horse Forum

 839Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Two weeks ago I let one of the young girls ride my reining horse, she rides a reining horse but has decided to turn it in to a jumper, she's only ever ridden English......she was complaining that her horse was heavy on her hands on on the forehand all the time.....literally yanking her forward in the saddle.......I put her on my horse, told her to drop the reins, look to the right, step into the right stirrup and put her outside leg on.....'woooooo hoooooo' and giggling like Rick Gore is all you could here in the arena when she did her first ever spin.....I was giving her an example of how light and responsive a horse SHOULD be, so that she knew what it would feel like to NOT be working harder than the horse.....gotta say it was the highlight of my day seeing her grin like that

Ya it is always fun to watch the first time a person rides a horse like that. Most of the time they never go back.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #192 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: France
Posts: 139
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
As for jumping things. Ya not a big deal. Heck seen little kids to it. Seem cowboys jump large deep creaks.
Oh yes, and your children do their first cutting in front of a bull, not with a baby calf?
Every body can jump over 1.00m without being good nor with any precision.

Faites de lui un compagnon, pas un esclave.
Nuno Oliveira.
Dame Nuit is offline  
post #193 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
Ya it is always fun to watch the first time a person rides a horse like that. Most of the time they never go back.
Well I think she's having second thoughts about turning her reiner into a jumper....it was too bad I didn't ask her to slide my horse, didn't want to scare her!!! Dashboard!!!
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #194 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: France
Posts: 139
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses View Post
No, I've read history books.. I've learned things from bridle horseman that learned from their fathers that learned from their fathers. I think YOU are the one at needs to read more..
So you have seen the man who have seen the man who have seen the man who have seen the man who have seen the man who have seen the bear.
And know, you know what a bear looks like...

Faites de lui un compagnon, pas un esclave.
Nuno Oliveira.
Dame Nuit is offline  
post #195 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 818
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame Nuit View Post
Because you know nothing about it, and because you don't want to know what's going on next door... And you are the one to say I'm not open minded?
Yes, you lunge horses over jumps and gradually increase the height and decrease the amount of cues you are giving them. Its fairly simple stuff. Its NOT impressive to me, and it never will be. I'm not closed minded, I have tried NH and never found anything I really liked. Now, people come up to me at ranch rodeos and saleyards and ask me and my husband to ride their horses. We have to turn people down because we have too many colts to ride. If you ask me that's a good reputation. And I have a program that works for me very very well. When you train horses for outside people, and have a good reputation in doing so, you might have room to talk. Hell, even if you would educate yourself a little more, you may even have a little more room to talk.. Or maybe even think before you type??

~Started young horses in Bosca te Ador, unto the two rein the old Spanish spade, brought them along with two hands that were gentle. Some fine reining horses as ever were made~
Wanstrom Horses is offline  
post #196 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Well I think she's having second thoughts about turning her reiner into a jumper....it was too bad I didn't ask her to slide my horse, didn't want to scare her!!! Dashboard!!!
Ya baby steps. I know when I stepped up from Charlie to Cassie it was a world of difference. Heck Gracie stops like her daddy. Nothing like thinking your horse just dropped out from under you.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #197 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 818
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame Nuit View Post
Oh yes, and your children do their first cutting in front of a bull, not with a baby calf?
Every body can jump over 1.00m without being good nor with any precision.
You don't even know what you are talking about! It's quite sad.... Calves are actually really hard to cut out because they are so little and very quick. You are only making yourself look like a nim-whit...

~Started young horses in Bosca te Ador, unto the two rein the old Spanish spade, brought them along with two hands that were gentle. Some fine reining horses as ever were made~
Wanstrom Horses is offline  
post #198 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 22,217
• Horses: 3
So what is the sudden need or relevance for PP in the world of dressage or showjumping - are he and the delightful Mrs P somehow going to add something to these disciplines that's been ignored for centuries?
Are they going to put on a show for top riders in these fields and the entire audience is going to shout 'WOW' these guys are so amazing, how have we managed without them for so long? I doubt it.
If I want dressage lessons I go to someone who is skilled and experienced not someone who's just done a short course, same goes for jumping
And showjumpers have been using some ferocious looking bits for a long time - its what gives them the ability to control a highly charged horse in a tight situation - but because they have light hands and know how to use those bits they are able to allow the horse to move forwards when it counts to get over these huge fences and spreads.
Speed Racer and Muppetgirl like this.
jaydee is offline  
post #199 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
So what is the sudden need or relevance for PP in the world of dressage or showjumping - are he and the delightful Mrs P somehow going to add something to these disciplines that's been ignored for centuries?
Are they going to put on a show for top riders in these fields and the entire audience is going to shout 'WOW' these guys are so amazing, how have we managed without them for so long? I doubt it.
If I want dressage lessons I go to someone who is skilled and experienced not someone who's just done a short course, same goes for jumping
And showjumpers have been using some ferocious looking bits for a long time - its what gives them the ability to control a highly charged horse in a tight situation - but because they have light hands and know how to use those bits they are able to allow the horse to move forwards when it counts to get over these huge fences and spreads.
Very well said. If you want to learn something go to a live person who actually is proven in that area.

Also I agree. There is no such thing as a harsh bit. Only Harsh hands.
Muppetgirl likes this.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #200 of 402 Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: France
Posts: 139
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses View Post
Yes, you lunge horses over jumps and gradually increase the height and decrease the amount of cues you are giving them. Its fairly simple stuff. Its NOT impressive to me, and it never will be. I'm not closed minded, I have tried NH and never found anything I really liked. Now, people come up to me at ranch rodeos and saleyards and ask me and my husband to ride their horses. We have to turn people down because we have too many colts to ride. If you ask me that's a good reputation. And I have a program that works for me very very well. When you train horses for outside people, and have a good reputation in doing so, you might have room to talk. Hell, even if you would educate yourself a little more, you may even have a little more room to talk.. Or maybe even think before you type??
Good for you if you make your living.
But surely you able to do one thing, and just one thing (and certainly not have your horses jump over something big ).

Faites de lui un compagnon, pas un esclave.
Nuno Oliveira.
Dame Nuit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parelli Hackamore/Parelli Collection clothing snootyfox Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 12-11-2011 11:48 AM
What is your opinion on Parelli? Vannah Natural Horsemanship 279 03-01-2011 06:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome