Your opinion on Parelli - Page 39
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Trainers

Your opinion on Parelli

This is a discussion on Your opinion on Parelli within the Horse Trainers forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree831Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
      #381
    Foal
    I support NH 100%! Simply because I have an ex-race horse and believe you me when I mean RACE I mean RACE I needed to establish bond between us and Parelli's 7 games did the trick plus I now ride him bitless and he is much more responsive and positive. I feel much safer and happier myself.

    In comparison to other NH trainers Parelli is a great trainer with tonnes of experience and common sense and I am very keen to carry on with the training as far a s I could possibly go
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
      #382
    Super Moderator
    I grew up with horses in a world before Parelli
    SO
    QUESTION
    How do all the enthusiasts think that horses were trained and ridden on prior to the birth of NH?
    This is a genuine query as I'm interested to see what people think happened
         
        02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
      #383
    Banned
    I must point out, I've noticed there has been some confusion, let's NOT get BREED confused with TRAINING......ANY BREED can be 'TRAINED' to be a jerk.....whether its an Arab or an appy or a QH......
         
        02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
      #384
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaydee    
    How do all the enthusiasts think that horses were trained and ridden on prior to the birth of NH?
    Better on a general level, I think. Not because NH ruined people and their skills, but because historical developments. When farming society started to truly fell and more and more people were born city dwellers, some (most?) of the traditional horsemanship and horse sense was lost. Today most of horse people are not born into it, rather than that, they pick it up as a hobby. Very few people grow up in a situation where they are exposed to horses and horsemanship from and early age or daily. So the overall level of horsemanship in the population is less than it used to be.

    On a concrete level, I think there always was "NH" people around. They didn't call it NH or think it was something special. They just did things that way. F.ex. My father (!! Not a horse person!) seems to be way more NH than I am and he's been with horses only as a boy with no instruction. If say "NH" to him, he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't play games. Yet he operates pretty NH with my mare, instinctively. (On a side note: Instinctive Horsemanship would be the best! Can haz program? :B)

    Sure there were good and bad examples of horse breaking and riding, just like there are now. A few years ago I watched a video from 1920's or 30's where an army officer trained a 3 yo. Never-been-touched horse to first rides. Attention to the horse and the quality of that training was way better than what's generally done around here nowadays by non-NH English riders.

    The feel I have though is that people pre-NH had more specific goals and better direction with their horses. They needed their horses to do X otherwise the horse wouldn't earn his upkeep. People hadn't the money to let horses become disrespectful or just stand in a box. Training was quick and to the point. Sure they had the ability to give horses time and take things slow where needed but they didn't go on all of these tangents. I think NH programs try to teach everything to everyone and people get stuck. Not every horse (in my opinion) needs to master every game, movement, exercise perfectly to do its job well. I think many horse owners have lost their sight of what's needed and important or where they are going, what they want from their horse.

    So why do NH?
    - good programs that show you what to do with your horse (a big problem for many people!)
    - appealing sensibility
    - easy to come across
    - for fun (applies to people who keep horses for a hobby)
    - tried everything else and it just works
    ... and probably a few reasons more.

    The life we lead have changed drastically for many. Horse owners don't spend 16 hours out working with their horses. Families who used to depend on horses maybe haven't seen one up close in generations. People interested in horses don't have that easy access to generations' horsemanship experience. NH fills a need in many a modern lifestyle. Thank god for marketing? ;)
         
        02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
      #385
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaydee    
    I grew up with horses in a world before Parelli
    SO
    QUESTION
    How do all the enthusiasts think that horses were trained and ridden on prior to the birth of NH?
    This is a genuine query as I'm interested to see what people think happened
    I did too! I joined 4-H back in the mid-late 60's and our group leader was my mentor. THAT's how I learned, hands on all the way...not spending time in front of a TV watching a video.
         
        02-02-2013, 07:40 AM
      #386
    Foal
    10 years old, no saddle, old halter, rope reins - open field in the south of Ukraine. That's how I learned to break and ride a horse Looking back I always think - is that really how they used to do it? Oh, yes!!
         
        02-07-2013, 08:56 PM
      #387
    Foal
    I knew a mare who was really problematic. She had been broke by a «trainer» who really messed up the horse. She really was a difficult mare, no one could ride her. After a couple years of different trainers and riders, the owner decided to try the Parelli method with a coach. The mare totally changed, she trusts humans as never before. She even came to the point where a child could ride her. For that mare, it really worked magic. However, as in every methods, there are bad coaches. So just be aware of that.
         
        02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
      #388
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kayhmk    
    Better on a general level, I think. Not because NH ruined people and their skills, but because historical developments. When farming society started to truly fell and more and more people were born city dwellers, some (most?) of the traditional horsemanship and horse sense was lost. Today most of horse people are not born into it, rather than that, they pick it up as a hobby. Very few people grow up in a situation where they are exposed to horses and horsemanship from and early age or daily. So the overall level of horsemanship in the population is less than it used to be.

    On a concrete level, I think there always was "NH" people around. They didn't call it NH or think it was something special. They just did things that way. F.ex. My father (!! Not a horse person!) seems to be way more NH than I am and he's been with horses only as a boy with no instruction. If say "NH" to him, he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't play games. Yet he operates pretty NH with my mare, instinctively. (On a side note: Instinctive Horsemanship would be the best! Can haz program? :B)

    Sure there were good and bad examples of horse breaking and riding, just like there are now. A few years ago I watched a video from 1920's or 30's where an army officer trained a 3 yo. Never-been-touched horse to first rides. Attention to the horse and the quality of that training was way better than what's generally done around here nowadays by non-NH English riders.

    The feel I have though is that people pre-NH had more specific goals and better direction with their horses. They needed their horses to do X otherwise the horse wouldn't earn his upkeep. People hadn't the money to let horses become disrespectful or just stand in a box. Training was quick and to the point. Sure they had the ability to give horses time and take things slow where needed but they didn't go on all of these tangents. I think NH programs try to teach everything to everyone and people get stuck. Not every horse (in my opinion) needs to master every game, movement, exercise perfectly to do its job well. I think many horse owners have lost their sight of what's needed and important or where they are going, what they want from their horse.

    So why do NH?
    - good programs that show you what to do with your horse (a big problem for many people!)
    - appealing sensibility
    - easy to come across
    - for fun (applies to people who keep horses for a hobby)
    - tried everything else and it just works
    ... and probably a few reasons more.

    The life we lead have changed drastically for many. Horse owners don't spend 16 hours out working with their horses. Families who used to depend on horses maybe haven't seen one up close in generations. People interested in horses don't have that easy access to generations' horsemanship experience. NH fills a need in many a modern lifestyle. Thank god for marketing? ;)
    Love this post.
         
        02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
      #389
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyHoofPrints    
    I studied Parelli and Dennis Reis after sudying John Lyons for years. Then! I found Clinton Anderson to help me Re-Train 2 half Arabs and start my 2 new Arabian babies. Down UnderHorsemanship is the only trainer for me now. Never looked back!
    I've heard about Down Under Horsemanship before... What is the special thing about this method?
         
        02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
      #390
    Yearling
    Nothing.. Just another marketing ploy clinician trainer. I don't like CA. Especially his ground training methods...
    tinyliny and GotaDunQH like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Parelli Hackamore/Parelli Collection clothing snootyfox Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 12-11-2011 11:48 AM
    What is your opinion on Parelli? Vannah Natural Horsemanship 279 03-01-2011 06:27 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0