I am not very experienced with horses and he is already a real hand full. He tries to bite me and rears at anyone that comes near him.
After he is gelded I am hoping he will calm down.
I used to be able to walk him some a few months ago, but I had trouble keeping him moving instead of eating grass.
Today I purchased a rope halter for a little more control, but I won't be able to try it until the weekend.
I am not opposed to disciplining him, but I don't know where to start. I don't want to just be hitting him a lot though. When he bit at me a couple of days ago, I immediately smacked him in the mouth and he moved away from me pretty quickly like he got the message.
Right now he is in a 40 x40 chain link fence attached to my barn. I have not brought him out of the fence in about 2 months due to my fear of what will happen.
I want him to be a pet and I want to be able to lead him and trust him around my kids who are 3, 7, and 9.
I have several questions so here goes:
1. How long will it take for him to recover from the castration procedure?
2. How long do you think it will take to calm him down some?
3. Should I start by teaching him to lead?
4. What would a typical training session look like?
5. How long should I work on it before allowing him to eat grass or go back to the barn?
Thanks for any advice you can give...