Advice for Difficult Decision
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Advice for Difficult Decision

This is a discussion on Advice for Difficult Decision within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Advice a difficult for a decision
  • Advice for a difficult decision

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-06-2011, 02:23 AM
  #1
Weanling
Advice for Difficult Decision

Here is the deal. I am getting a pretty decent amout of money back in taxes this year and am going to put at least two months of horse training in with it. Here are my options and if you think of anything different please tell me, I'm super tired right this moment and open to ideas.

Option A:

I send Oggi (2003 APHA breeding stock mare) back for 2 months of western pleasure training, the trainer is fantastic and get her that much closer to be show ready. She's already got 2 months under her cinch but I am going to keep putting training on her no matter what.

Option B:

I send Rain (2006 Arabian x Pinto mare) for her first time to the trainer. Very easy going. I really should get her broke to ride just to get it over and done with. I can sit on her but we don't move much just turns and flexing. I'd be sending her for 2 months solid.

Option C:

I send both for a month each and maybe just save up enough for another months training for each while they are in training. It wouldn't be guarenteed that I could afford 2 months for both but both could use it desperately.

Also I really want to send Nova (2010 AQHA Dun Filly) in for some touch up work for the halter show season (to work on her showmanship). I could easily show her this season and get her show career started off right.

What do you think?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-06-2011, 02:40 AM
  #2
Banned
What are your goals? Do you want two horses well on their way to being finished or would you prefer one over the other?

If I were you I would not half butt their training, if the trainer wants two months, I would not split this one month each.
     
    03-06-2011, 02:53 AM
  #3
Weanling
The trainer doesn't mind either way I'm hoping to show Oggi eventually but not this year I've been wanting to get Rain started for some time. I really want Rain to get some time in this summer under saddle. I can also do just a week for a refresher for Oggi which will get her ready for work at home since I haven't ridden her a lot this winter. The trainer is very flexible.
     
    03-06-2011, 03:32 AM
  #4
Weanling
Diy imo
     
    03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
  #5
Weanling
Anyone else?
     
    03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
  #6
Weanling
I'd send Rain. She's five and still not broke.
     
    03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
  #7
Foal
If you have time train them yourself IMO. I find sending a horse to a trainer just a waste of money if you yourself are not a constant part of the training, always watching what the trainer does and asking questions. But that's just my opinion.
     
    03-07-2011, 04:11 PM
  #8
Showing
If you are confident you can break Rain yourself I'd say Oggi to put "show" training on. If you are not I'd say save Oggi and send Rain.
     
    03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
  #9
Weanling
I'm not super confident when training a horse to trot and lope and that when the trainer comes in usually plus she also gives me riding lesson and pointers for showing.
     
    03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
  #10
Trained
I say send Oggi to the trainer and Rain to me...Lol!!!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difficult colt... Squeak Horse Training 3 04-11-2010 01:47 PM
A rather difficult question... SSH Farm Horse Health 15 11-08-2009 12:13 PM
Most difficult movement Spyder Dressage 45 05-27-2009 02:59 PM
An Extremely Difficult Decision Small_Town_Girl Horse Talk 9 09-16-2008 01:59 PM
Advice Please: Keep or Giveaway- Tormenting Decision appys101 Horse Talk 7 06-30-2008 10:41 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0