So for my 13 birthday my dad bought me a two year old MFT reg. Gelding. Both my dad and I at that time were classified as beginners in the horse trade and realize how big a mistake this was but obviously you can't change the past and I know we've both learned from the experience. As you can imagine the ending result of the next three years I had this gelding were Green + Green = black and blue and so two years ago I finally sold him after one trip to the trainers--who in hindsight should have that title stripped from him fast--and many years of groundwork because he was just not improving and it didn't seem worth it to send him to the trainers especially since this was around the time that I started becoming interested in reining and he definitely was not a prospect for that.
I've spent these past two years working with my trainers horses and showing at small local shows in pleasure classes--which I got all around grand champion last year :)--and trying fataly to get into reining.
Now, due to some circumstances, I am getting this gelding back. Part of me does not want him back at all. He caused me a lot of emotiontional and physical pain when I had him and I'm sure that I didn't help him much as a novice 13 year old. Now he is 7 and I just turned 17 yesterday and I've decided to try and make the best of the situation. I cannot control if we get him back or not--it was my dad's decision--and our financiaces haven't improved much over the years so sending him out for training to a better trainer is really out of the question.
I refuse to let him become another pasture hog that burns up cash though so I am willing to try again with the knowledge I've learned over the years and some assistance from the trainer I have now. My ultimate goal with him is to just get him trained as a trustworthy good mount and sell him as a trail horse by the fall. Then I would use that money to purchase a reining bred yearling to eventually send in for reining training and take lessons myself.
I know he hasn't been worked with in two years but before I sold him he had pretty good foundations in groundwork so I feel confident that if we get off to the right start that he can be trained by the fall. Obviously, once he gets here I can evaluate him and see if it will take more time then that but by the fall is the very optimistic goal.
I guess by posting this I just wanted to get this off my chest as it has been worrying me and also seek others opinions if this seems like a logical plan to follow and if there are any better suggestions.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I appreciate responses but please try to refran from being rude while stating your opinion.