Aggressive yearling - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
WHAT?!?!

I agree ^^

I do sometimes use a whip when handling a young horse if needed, or give them a thump if they barge me, i'm not a believer in letting the horse walk all over me - I do believe that they have to be put in their place, but there's ways to do it and I don't think i'd do the blunt nail trick, tbh might turn out dangerous if they decided to go all spooked about it?

How do you catch a loose horse? Make a sound like a carrot.
fizzylizzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzylizzy View Post
i agree ^^

I do sometimes use a whip when handling a young horse if needed, or give them a thump if they barge me, i'm not a believer in letting the horse walk all over me - I do believe that they have to be put in their place, but there's ways to do it and I don't think i'd do the blunt nail trick, tbh might turn out dangerous if they decided to go all spooked about it?
did not say blunt, just DULL..... nothing like puncturing a horse to prove a point!!!
AlmagroN is offline  
post #23 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
did not say blunt, just DULL..... nothing like puncturing a horse to prove a point!!!
oops sorry, meant to put dull but was thinking blunt for some reason, and I don't think you're going to puncture them, lol, I do know what you mean but it wouldn't be something i'd do myself!

How do you catch a loose horse? Make a sound like a carrot.
fizzylizzy is offline  
post #24 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
• Horses: 1
duh am I getting mixed up with who i'm talking to here? sorry peeps, i'm tired!

How do you catch a loose horse? Make a sound like a carrot.
fizzylizzy is offline  
post #25 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzylizzy View Post
oops sorry, meant to put dull but was thinking blunt for some reason, and I don't think you're going to puncture them, lol, I do know what you mean but it wouldn't be something i'd do myself!
if they run into it hard enough to will. Think about a horse who runs into you with its shoulder NOT knowing its there. They wont know that if they ram you so hard it will puncture... what if something spooks them and they run into you. Theyre nothing thinking "boy I better stop or else im going to get poked with a nail!"
AlmagroN is offline  
post #26 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
if they run into it hard enough to will. Think about a horse who runs into you with its shoulder NOT knowing its there. They wont know that if they ram you so hard it will puncture... what if something spooks them and they run into you. Theyre nothing thinking "boy I better stop or else im going to get poked with a nail!"
I know, that's exactly why I wouldn't do it!

How do you catch a loose horse? Make a sound like a carrot.
fizzylizzy is offline  
post #27 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 191
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
WHAT?!?!




You need to learn how "tools" actually should be used. You don't CRANK on stud chains. They are there to let the horse feel pressure when they push against them and therefore they do not like the feeling and stop.

And im sorry but this NEVER means the horse is "safe" to handle. What it can mean is they are easier, but not safe. He also will look for a time that you JUST HAPPEN to let your guard down because you "think" he's safe. Then you can feel how safe he is.
You're going to tell me that you have never cranked a stud chain on a stallion when they purposely charge your space or disrespect you?? I'm not saying crank the stud chain all day every day, but if they aren't listening to you, they need to learn what the stud chain is there for! If he is just going to stand there, and no amount of waving hands, tapping with lead rope, or making noise is going to make him move, crank the stud chain and make him back up! I've seen all my dressage trainer do it, and everyone else I know that owns a stallion or a snotty gelding.
laceyf53 is offline  
post #28 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceyf53 View Post
You're going to tell me that you have never cranked a stud chain on a stallion when they purposely charge your space or disrespect you?? I'm not saying crank the stud chain all day every day, but if they aren't listening to you, they need to learn what the stud chain is there for! If he is just going to stand there, and no amount of waving hands, tapping with lead rope, or making noise is going to make him move, crank the stud chain and make him back up! I've seen all my dressage trainer do it, and everyone else I know that owns a stallion or a snotty gelding.
you want my honesty? Yep, never have. Because I KNOW how its supposed to be used. And its NOT there to crank on. A nice loud voice correction works in conjunction with the stud chain when its used right. If you have a stud chain on a horse they SHOULDNT be able to charge you anyway
AlmagroN is offline  
post #29 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
you want my honesty? Yep, never have. Because I KNOW how its supposed to be used. And its NOT there to crank on. A nice loud voice correction works in conjunction with the stud chain when its used right. If you have a stud chain on a horse they SHOULDNT be able to charge you anyway
I suppose different people work in differents ways, and they do what they prefer - which others might not prefer. It might work for some people and their horses, and it might not work for other people and their horses. I'd say as long as it isn't putting either you or the horse in any sort of threat or serious danger, if it works for you and the horse, do it!

How do you catch a loose horse? Make a sound like a carrot.
fizzylizzy is offline  
post #30 of 74 Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
but that kind of behavior IMHO has no place in training horses
AlmagroN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aggressive New Horse NordicJuniper Horse Health 14 07-03-2009 04:13 PM
Aggressive pasture-mates - long... Shawneen Barn Maintenance 6 06-01-2009 11:26 PM
Help! Overly aggressive horse! gen32 Horse Training 6 04-09-2009 08:52 PM
Help w/ aggressive mare rausrus Horse Health 3 07-12-2008 02:08 PM
Aggressive horse AKPaintLover Horse Training 6 06-05-2007 12:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome