Backing up!
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Backing up!

This is a discussion on Backing up! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Backing up!

    When I first got my 5 year old mare she was perfectly fine with backing up but now she freaks out and rears up on her back legs every time I try to back her up which creates a big problem since I am trying to team rope. Just looking for any tips/advice

    Thanks yall
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-16-2009, 06:48 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Sounds like she's stuck. Back her on the lead rope, releasing only when her hind feet take a step back. Then ask for forward, then back, then forward, etc. Do it then in the bridle. If you ask to back with the bit, and she doesn't, use the butt end of a whip or the tail of your reins to influence her, don't pull harder on her mouth. When you're riding, ask to back gently, and if she doesn't gently tap her shoulder with the end of a whip. She's just stuck.
         
        05-16-2009, 06:53 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Go back to the basics. Will she backup well when on the ground? Try and get a friend to lead her back see if that helps.
         
        05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
      #4
    Showing
    You might also want to have her check by a chiro. She could be out in her back or hip and that could be causing something to pinch when she backs up. Also, what kind of bit do you have her in? Have you recently changed bits?
         
        05-16-2009, 09:10 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saint3meg3rlfc    
    Go back to the basics. Will she backup well when on the ground? Try and get a friend to lead her back see if that helps.
    I have tried to do that and she doesn't back up she just rears up and I pet her and calm her down and keep trying and I'll walk her forward and she keeps doing the same thing over and over..
         
        05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koomy56    
    Sounds like she's stuck. Back her on the lead rope, releasing only when her hind feet take a step back. Then ask for forward, then back, then forward, etc. Do it then in the bridle. If you ask to back with the bit, and she doesn't, use the butt end of a whip or the tail of your reins to influence her, don't pull harder on her mouth. When you're riding, ask to back gently, and if she doesn't gently tap her shoulder with the end of a whip. She's just stuck.
    She rears up every time I try to get her to back up if I'm on the ground or on her
         
        05-16-2009, 09:19 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    You might also want to have her check by a chiro. She could be out in her back or hip and that could be causing something to pinch when she backs up. Also, what kind of bit do you have her in? Have you recently changed bits?
    I haven't changed bits and I use a shank bit. It's what she has used all her life.
         
        05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
      #8
    Showing
    Well since this is a pretty new thing that has developed without any major change in the way that she is handled, I would guess that it is a pain response that is causing her behavior. Have the vet check her over paying close attention to her back, hips, stifle, and hocks; and check her teeth, that could be causing it too. After the vet checks her it wouldn't hurt to have a chiropractor out to adjust her. Just riding a horse can cause them to go out of alignment and when you combine the speed and torque of roping, it can happen quickly and be pretty bad. Have her checked for health reasons and then get back to us. I hope you find a solution. Good luck. :)
         
        05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    Well since this is a pretty new thing that has developed without any major change in the way that she is handled, I would guess that it is a pain response that is causing her behavior. Have the vet check her over paying close attention to her back, hips, stifle, and hocks; and check her teeth, that could be causing it too. After the vet checks her it wouldn't hurt to have a chiropractor out to adjust her. Just riding a horse can cause them to go out of alignment and when you combine the speed and torque of roping, it can happen quickly and be pretty bad. Have her checked for health reasons and then get back to us. I hope you find a solution. Good luck. :)
    Alright thanks a lot. I didn't even think it could have been a health problem. Thanks for all your help.
         
        05-17-2009, 12:03 PM
      #10
    Trained
    How long have you had her? What type of riding do you normally do with her?
    How to do you ask her to back up? Does anyone else ride her or train her that could have given her a different cue to back up?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    More backing up issues... Wallaby Horse Training 10 03-20-2009 05:05 PM
    Backing up.... Wallaby Horse Training 10 03-09-2009 09:21 PM
    Backing up newhorsemom Horse Training 12 10-13-2008 09:51 AM
    backing up constantly! avlangston Horse Training 12 09-16-2008 08:09 PM
    backing up BeautifulBay Horse Training 22 02-12-2007 04:12 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0