Bad Pony?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Bad Pony?

This is a discussion on Bad Pony? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Spoiled pony
  • Training a bad pony

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-09-2010, 05:50 PM
  #1
Weanling
Exclamation Bad Pony?

So I have been working every once in a while with a 8 year old Welsh Pony. A 9 year old kid rides him. Lately he has been bucking her off everytime she has a lesson. She does get back on him though and the rest of the lesson is fine.

Anyways so I have been working with him and realized that he is very disrespectfull. When ever I lead him from his field he is always leaning into his halter and manages to just start eating. It's so hard to get his head back up even in a rope halter.

When I'm longing him I make him chang directions lots. I say Whoa step infront and switch the whip to my other hand. Instead of just turning towards me and switching sides he turns away and throws himself into the halter. He just starts walking away and I can't hold him back. When he does decide to do it correctly though he turns to me and then walks right into me as if im not even there. I have punished him for this by slapping his chest and saying no but he still does it everytime.

I have been working with him now for over a month and I am getting rather frustrated with him.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
  #2
Yearling
Do a lot of ground work! It sounds like he has been able to get away with anything he likes. Make sure the girl who rides him foes these things as well. Also, maybe don't lounge him in a halter. Use a bridle and side reins.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
  #3
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumLove    
Anyways so I have been working with him and realized that he is very disrespectfull. When ever I lead him from his field he is always leaning into his halter and manages to just start eating. It's so hard to get his head back up even in a rope halter.
I JUST dealt with this yesterday--a very big, very pushy mare who is generally a brat (for example she cleared a 3 ft fenceline today because she didn't want to be turned out when everyone else was eating) decided she was just going to graze as we walked.....there was already a knot at the end of her lead rope, so I took it and I smacked her on the butt with it! She was not very happy with me, but her head flew up, and then I was able to get her feet moving, and then we were able to start moving forward again.

Quote:
When I'm longing him I make him chang directions lots. I say Whoa step infront and switch the whip to my other hand. Instead of just turning towards me and switching sides he turns away and throws himself into the halter. He just starts walking away and I can't hold him back. When he does decide to do it correctly though he turns to me and then walks right into me as if im not even there. I have punished him for this by slapping his chest and saying no but he still does it everytime.
I've also dealt with this too!! It took my gelding a YEAR to finally learn to turn inwards, but he has issues trusting people, so I don't think it will take your gelding that long. The only suggestion I can offer you is every time he turns his butt into you, you have to wear his butt out with the lunge whip, and then make him go FORWARD...as in cantering until you tell him to stop. This would work best in a large round pen, so he has room to be bratty, and then theres still room for you to work him. When he starts to walk into you, you slap the lunge whip on the ground, crack it, wave your hands, whatever you need to do to make him think he's dying because he came into your space and make him run backwards for a bit. Eventually you will not need to be so drastic and dramatic, but for the first couple of sessions you'll need to be "bigger" than he is to assert that you're running the show, and then you can start toning down your cues and only getting after him when he ignores you.
     
    06-10-2010, 08:15 PM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumLove    
So I have been working every once in a while with a 8 year old Welsh Pony.
I would say this is the first thing that needs to change before the pony will get much better.
     

Tags
bad pony, longing

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Adventures Of My Pony Club and Three Day Eventing Pony and I. ChingazMyBoy Member Journals 9 09-17-2009 06:31 AM
Road Pony or Hackney roadster pony minihorse927 Driving 9 07-13-2009 09:05 PM
Training young pony 4 pony rides ILuv2ride Horse Training 0 07-07-2009 07:38 PM
WTB/Help Pony In Need MovingOn Horses for Sale 1 04-19-2009 09:37 PM
my pony silver and my 1st pony sugar and riding skul ponies sexysilver Horse Pictures 1 02-05-2007 08:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0