Bit Problems! Please Help!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Bit Problems! Please Help!

This is a discussion on Bit Problems! Please Help! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse bit problems please help

Like Tree47Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-30-2013, 12:42 AM
  #1
Foal
Exclamation Bit Problems! Please Help!

Ok, so my young horse has been started about 4 or 5 months ago and within the first month, I put a bit in her mouth because she was doing great. (she is 4 years so don't worry) but anyway, the bits I have put in her mouth all never work because she puts her tounge over them. Do you think a roller bit would work to help distract her from putting her tounge over the bit?? Im going to move to a more "western" bit when I can do barrels on her in a few years!! So will this work!? ---> Copper Roller Bit | Horses & Ponies | Gumtree Australia Whitsundays Area - Proserpine

THANKS!!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-30-2013, 12:51 AM
  #2
Banned
I always check to see if one of my mares headstalls is too loose because she gets 'crazy tongue 'and will put the bit under tongue- I started her in an indian bosal and when she would give to pressure flexin at the poll and laterally I started ridin in a nylon halter then kinda ghetto two reined with her till she got used to the curb bit and now she don't go all 'crazy tongue' on the bit, lol.

Juss wonderin- what bits have you tried out on her?
     
    05-30-2013, 01:40 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
I always check to see if one of my mares headstalls is too loose because she gets 'crazy tongue 'and will put the bit under tongue- I started her in an indian bosal and when she would give to pressure flexin at the poll and laterally I started ridin in a nylon halter then kinda ghetto two reined with her till she got used to the curb bit and now she don't go all 'crazy tongue' on the bit, lol.

Juss wonderin- what bits have you tried out on her?
she is HARD HEADED so I have used - a twisted snaffle, tom thumb (just to experiment) eggbutt snaffle, curb, and a few others just can't remember... I do have a full cheek snaffle but I can try it this weekend :/

OH and french link

Also, I have tried a hackamore on her and she has been going with it fine, I just really don't want to do hackamore if I can still use a bit because im going to barrel race her when she's older and I feel you can turn better in bits :)
     
    05-30-2013, 01:47 AM
  #4
Started
Can you post a picture of her wearing a bit? And a picture of the side of her mouth without a bit? What does the inside of her mouth feel like? Is there a lot of room in her mouth, or less than normal?
CowboyBob likes this.
     
    05-30-2013, 03:42 AM
  #5
Trained
OK, whoa back a minute maybe, she has only been started 4 or 5 months and she is hard headed? I have a red flag waving, something isn't right with this set up, especially of you have tried all those bits including a twist on a greenie.

First thing as Toto says, check the bit is actually fitted right, I have one mare who plays with her bit terribly if the headstall is even one hole to loose.

Once you have a bit and a headstall that you are sure fits her, and is fitted properly, then back to basics with her training to soften her up again.

Personally I would stick with the French Link, just because I like them, I think they are a great starter bit. Don't worry yet about what she may wear in the future when you start barrels with her, you need in this case for sure to be able to walk before you can run
loosie, Gaited07, smrobs and 9 others like this.
     
    05-30-2013, 03:50 AM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
OK, whoa back a minute maybe, she has only been started 4 or 5 months and she is hard headed? I have a red flag waving, something isn't right with this set up, especially of you have tried all those bits including a twist on a greenie.

First thing as Toto says, check the bit is actually fitted right, I have one mare who plays with her bit terribly if the headstall is even one hole to loose.

Once you have a bit and a headstall that you are sure fits her, and is fitted properly, then back to basics with her training to soften her up again.

Personally I would stick with the French Link, just because I like them, I think they are a great starter bit. Don't worry yet about what she may wear in the future when you start barrels with her, you need in this case for sure to be able to walk before you can run
This, this, this!

If she is having this many problems something is going wrong here.

Do NOT go up into anything with shanks. NO tum thumb, NO curb bit, nothing but a snaffle and preferably that french link. At this stage there is really no legitimate reason to bump up the bit, and training will fix her issues.

I too would like to see photos.

Do you have a professional to work with you?
     
    05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
  #7
Super Moderator
First of all, have you had a good equine dentist work on this horse's mount? A sharp tooth can be bothering this horse or this horse may need rounded bit seats to be comfortable in a snaffle.

The bit you showed I would doubt would work at all. It is thick and has little tongue relief so any horse that is a bit fussy in the mouth would not ride well in it.

Many horses do not like bits with a broken mouth -- even French link or dog bone bits. Some horses will accept broken bit if it has a steep curve in the 2 or 3 piece mouth so it does not lay flat on the tongue like a Myler. Some of these horses are very happy and respond very well in a Mullen mouth or a Myler with a lot of tongue relief. Some of these horses have a very thick tongue and others just will not work well in a bit that lays across their tongue.

I use Myler bits and handmade bits made by Greg Dutton a LOT. Even really broke horses often ride better in them.

Go to Myler's website. It has a lot of information about their mouthpieces. http://mylerbitsusa.com/index.shtml
     
    05-30-2013, 08:10 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforred    
Can you post a picture of her wearing a bit? And a picture of the side of her mouth without a bit? What does the inside of her mouth feel like? Is there a lot of room in her mouth, or less than normal?
i would but I don't really have a camera right now, but I can post pics as soon as I get a computor cord fopr my phone to upload pics! Hopefully this weekend!
     
    05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
This, this, this!

If she is having this many problems something is going wrong here.

Do NOT go up into anything with shanks. NO tum thumb, NO curb bit, nothing but a snaffle and preferably that french link. At this stage there is really no legitimate reason to bump up the bit, and training will fix her issues.

I too would like to see photos.

Do you have a professional to work with you?
yeah I do have a professional trainer with me she has trained both her horses and she knows what she is doing she has trained many horses
     
    05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Stick to a snaffle this horse is far from trained enough for anything shanked.
I'd check her teeth and just experiment with different snaffles. My gelding hated my D ring but loves my trainers copper mouth full cheek however my old Arab gelding loved the D ring and hated full cheeks.
LexiMyBabyGirl likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bit problems Cruiser Horse Tack and Equipment 11 04-03-2013 04:06 PM
Having problems with bit zamie8666 Horse Talk 9 08-03-2012 02:25 AM
How long does it take for a horse to adjust to new bit? and the problems with old bit manca Horse Training 11 06-30-2011 04:32 PM
bit problems! fizzylizzy Horse Training 13 03-03-2010 06:14 AM
Bit problems. BlueJayWay Horse Training 20 02-09-2010 10:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0