Biting problems? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Biting problems?

This is a discussion on Biting problems? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • 3 year old pony keeps trying to bite

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-21-2012, 09:54 PM
  #11
Yearling
Being trained to dance? What?

** Awnser every single question in this post. It is what we need to know to help you. Because currently, you are telling us close to nothing **

How long have you had him and how much experience do you have with horses?

When you say "he is willing to run" what does that mean? You only run him? Or he is a racehorse, and that is what he does as a career?

What is he being fed, both grain and hay, is he turned out any, and does he have anything, if he is stalled, to alleviate boredom? Can he see or interact with other horses? Is he a gelding? What breed and age?

How old are you, and what experience do you have with horses, and if young, is there someone around with more experience? Where did this horse come from, is he new to you, or one that you have had for a while?

When he bites the stall bars, does he hold onto them for a long time, or seem to just chew on them for a little while?

Does he make a noise when biting his stall bars?

How often does he do this per day?

Take your time to awnser everything for a quick response. If you keep up the choppy awnsers, we will be here for months.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorronRoy    
I'm sorry its just I was in a hurry to right this , this is what I meant: one of my horses likes to bite his stall bars; not sure why. He gets taken out the right amount and is not being over ran. He is barely 3 years and 1 month. Enough info? And is going to be trained to dance.
Your definition of "the right amount" and his may be different and he may have therefore developed stall vices. Please answer the questions. It WILL help. I have never seen a horse trained to "dance"....and it needs to be run "just the right amount...."

If you could show us how a horse "dances" that would be great.

Personally, I smell a fish.
     
    06-21-2012, 11:10 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
Your definition of "the right amount" and his may be different and he may have therefore developed stall vices. Please answer the questions. It WILL help. I have never seen a horse trained to "dance"....and it needs to be run "just the right amount...."

If you could show us how a horse "dances" that would be great.

Personally, I smell a fish.

This is how a horse dances, you probably never seen it before.
     
    06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJumperx    
Being trained to dance? What?

** Awnser every single question in this post. It is what we need to know to help you. Because currently, you are telling us close to nothing **

How long have you had him and how much experience do you have with horses?

When you say "he is willing to run" what does that mean? You only run him? Or he is a racehorse, and that is what he does as a career?

What is he being fed, both grain and hay, is he turned out any, and does he have anything, if he is stalled, to alleviate boredom? Can he see or interact with other horses? Is he a gelding? What breed and age?

How old are you, and what experience do you have with horses, and if young, is there someone around with more experience? Where did this horse come from, is he new to you, or one that you have had for a while?

When he bites the stall bars, does he hold onto them for a long time, or seem to just chew on them for a little while?

Does he make a noise when biting his stall bars?

How often does he do this per day?

Take your time to awnser everything for a quick response. If you keep up the choppy awnsers, we will be here for months.
I had him about 2 years already and my experience is 6 years.

When I say he is willing to run I mean it in an expression and no, I don't only run him.

He is not a race horse, we are training him to dance.

He is being fed both grain and hay.

He is usually out except mornings nights and when being showered.

Yes, he can see other horses and can interact with other horses.

An andalusian, 3 years and 1 month.

I'm 20 and I already said my years of experience. (There are people around to show me my flaws)

He bites on them and no noise.

He only does it around me for some reason.
     
    06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
  #15
Foal
And apparently no one knows how a horse dances there are a few on my youtube account as an example
     
    06-22-2012, 12:10 AM
  #16
Foal
And another video

     
    06-22-2012, 07:11 AM
  #17
Trained
Thanks for the video-I get it now, and hope you have a good trainer, and are really patient. As for the biting the bars-since he does it when you are around, if it were me, I would start correcting it. Otherwise, he may damage his teeth. Perhaps something like we use for horses who crib could be painted on the bars, as well as you correcting him when he does it.
     
    06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
  #18
Weanling
Are you sure he only does it around you? I mean, I swear used to Alli see me coming and decide to windsuck out of spite because I always tried to stop her, but I also know from the land owner she used to do it between visits too. I'm not saying he's winducking btw.

He could be biting the bars out of boredom, anxiousness about getting out to work or go in the field-hence why he does it when you are around-, stress (anything new to upset him?), mineral deficiencies.... Loads can cause vices like this. Try putting a mineral lick in his stall, preferably one of the hanging ones so he has to work for it and keep his mind busy. This helps with the possibility of deficiencies and boredom. Put something like cribox (Cribox & Crib Biting Prevention) which tastes really mank (honestly , don't get it on your fingers then try to eat something!!!!) on the bars to deter him and tell him off for doing it.

Whats his feeding regime like? Is he being fed grains or mollassesed feeds? Because these high starch, sugar and protein feeds can cause digestion problems as the horses stomach is not designed to break down these types of nutrients so the wrong type of gut bacteria thrive. Also, does he constantly graze on grass or hay? The stomach lining constantly secretes acid and this is only neutralised by saliva when the horse is chewing. A build up in acidity can lead to stomach ulcers, which cause pain. (Stomach ulcers can also be caused by stress)

Also, three years old seems quite young to be learning to do whats in those videos. He isn't fully physically developed yet so ridden work should be low impact stuff like hacking and light schooling so he can find his balance with a rider, and so his muscles, bones and joints can continue to grow and develop without injury. Some horses don't fully develop until they are 6 or 7, but generally 4 is seen as acceptable to start proper training. I don't know how far in to the training he is, but could he be stressed from mental or physical overload?

Hope this helps
     
    06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli    
Are you sure he only does it around you? I mean, I swear used to Alli see me coming and decide to windsuck out of spite because I always tried to stop her, but I also know from the land owner she used to do it between visits too. I'm not saying he's winducking btw.

He could be biting the bars out of boredom, anxiousness about getting out to work or go in the field-hence why he does it when you are around-, stress (anything new to upset him?), mineral deficiencies.... Loads can cause vices like this. Try putting a mineral lick in his stall, preferably one of the hanging ones so he has to work for it and keep his mind busy. This helps with the possibility of deficiencies and boredom. Put something like cribox (Cribox & Crib Biting Prevention) which tastes really mank (honestly , don't get it on your fingers then try to eat something!!!!) on the bars to deter him and tell him off for doing it.

Whats his feeding regime like? Is he being fed grains or mollassesed feeds? Because these high starch, sugar and protein feeds can cause digestion problems as the horses stomach is not designed to break down these types of nutrients so the wrong type of gut bacteria thrive. Also, does he constantly graze on grass or hay? The stomach lining constantly secretes acid and this is only neutralised by saliva when the horse is chewing. A build up in acidity can lead to stomach ulcers, which cause pain. (Stomach ulcers can also be caused by stress)

Also, three years old seems quite young to be learning to do whats in those videos. He isn't fully physically developed yet so ridden work should be low impact stuff like hacking and light schooling so he can find his balance with a rider, and so his muscles, bones and joints can continue to grow and develop without injury. Some horses don't fully develop until they are 6 or 7, but generally 4 is seen as acceptable to start proper training. I don't know how far in to the training he is, but could he be stressed from mental or physical overload?

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info! ^ and thank you for everyone that posted I might have taken somethings in a wrong way, sorry. And to OwnedbyAlli, I will look it to all of this. To answer the training part we have barely started, the dancing portion of the training will take place in about 6 to 7 months :)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucking problems... and taking off problems... Just PROBLEMS!!!! Bandera Horse Training 38 11-10-2012 06:22 PM
Biting?? KendallAR Horse Training 23 09-29-2011 04:36 PM
HELP!!! He keeps Biting me HorsesHorses08 Horse Training 34 07-09-2009 10:27 PM
Biting problems horseluverr17 Jumping 3 04-17-2009 06:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0