Breaking in a colt!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Breaking in a colt!

This is a discussion on Breaking in a colt! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Tips on breaking a colt
  • Horse colt breaking

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Breaking in a colt!

Ok so my mom has finally decided that I am experienced(she doesnt really think its that much a matter of age, more of experience) enough to break in a colt! This May we are going to buy a colt from this girl I knows mom's ranch, and I am going to break it in for my aunts business thing. I will not be doing this alone, I am going to a Peter Cambell colt starting clinic with the horse
I am unbelievably excited (it is my lifelong dream to train a horse, and work with problem horses.... but I havent gotten to that on e yet haha) Does anybody have any tips or anything? Don't worry, I will have LOTS of guidence from my aunt, uncle,mom, grandma,grandpa and everybody at the barn... but theres always more I could learn!!!

So anybody have any tips? Thanks in advance
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
  #2
Weanling
Just ride light, ride smart! Remember too, there are things you can do on the ground that will tell you how your horse will act when you are on him! Make sure you can get your finger in both his ears and that he'll hold all 4 feet up for you before you start longeing him! ; )

Good luck, and congratulations!
     
    12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by westonsma    
Just ride light, ride smart! Remember too, there are things you can do on the ground that will tell you how your horse will act when you are on him! Make sure you can get your finger in both his ears and that he'll hold all 4 feet up for you before you start longeing him! ; )

Good luck, and congratulations!
thank you! I will definitely try to remember that, and before I get on look for any signs of stress on the hrose ;)
     
    12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Make sure you can get your finger in both his ears
Huh? What could sticking you finger in a horses ear have to do with how they behave under saddle?

I would kill someone if they stuck their finger in my ear and my horse would probably do the same! It hurts!
     
    12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
Huh? What could sticking you finger in a horses ear have to do with how they behave under saddle?

I would kill someone if they stuck their finger in my ear and my horse would probably do the same! It hurts!
i think she means softly, not actually poking.
I think what touching the hroses ears will do(and almost anywhere on the body) is show you that the horse is not uptight and ready to buck, but instead soft and relaxed and trusting. Haha my aunts horse LOVES to have people to stick there HAND in her ear and give them a good scratching... Gabby is a one in a million horse, lol!
     
    12-27-2009, 07:03 PM
  #6
Trained
Touching is a different story! I make sure all my horses are happy with having their ears touched. But all my horses would quicly become head shy if you started sticking your fingers inside the ears, expecially my arab.

Doesn't make sense how it is worded :]

Anyway - If your interested, I am breaking in a pony now, and am keeping a journal here. Under journals it's called Breaking Latte.
     
    12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
Touching is a different story! I make sure all my horses are happy with having their ears touched. But all my horses would quicly become head shy if you started sticking your fingers inside the ears, expecially my arab.

Doesn't make sense how it is worded :]

Anyway - If your interested, I am breaking in a pony now, and am keeping a journal here. Under journals it's called Breaking Latte.
i will definitely check into that thread! Thanks!
Haha When my aunt got her horse gabby, we were all gathered around and my grandma (longg timehrosewomen) stcisk her hand in gabbys ear and starts scratching, haha we all were like, uhhhhh. Gabby LOVED it she now adores having the inside of her ears scratched, it was so funny. Silly horse.
     
    12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
  #8
Trained
Lol, what a funny mare. I have one horse who LOVES to be scratched under his cheekbones - Only one i've met so far. Horse are funny things! Latte will almost fall over leaning into a head scratch.
     
    12-27-2009, 11:05 PM
  #9
Trained
Peter Campbell is a good horseman so pay close attention to EVERYTHING he does. If he works with someone after the class make sure you are there and paying attention. If he is doing any other classes in conjuction with the colt starting watch those and take notes. Ask him what he thinks you should do to further your education.
     
    12-27-2009, 11:13 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Peter Campbell is a good horseman so pay close attention to EVERYTHING he does. If he works with someone after the class make sure you are there and paying attention. If he is doing any other classes in conjuction with the colt starting watch those and take notes. Ask him what he thinks you should do to further your education.
thanks! I will be sure to watch all the other clinic/classes he does before mine. (and after) I know his neice Megan Cambell, who I have already learned a ton from, im going to ask her about colt starting too, haha maybe then I can be the teachers pet!!! Haha
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking Latté! wild_spot Member Journals 134 04-02-2011 08:13 PM
Halter breaking ? jmj3867 Horse Training 7 02-25-2009 06:43 PM
Breaking in the new saddle kitten_Val Horse Tack and Equipment 6 06-10-2008 02:52 PM
BREAKING HELP spencer.nethercutt Horse Training 1 11-29-2007 01:02 AM
Breaking in a mini DappledSilver Horse Training 0 09-28-2007 05:08 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0