Breaking in Lakota - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Breaking in Lakota

This is a discussion on Breaking in Lakota within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree12Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-02-2013, 08:52 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    I would suggest a couple of things.. more than a couple actually. Please take this advice as it is meant.. help for you and help for you to succeed.

    1.) Have you taken GOOD riding lessons on an experienced horse with a GOOD instructor? Do that if you can. Improve your riding and your confidence because your confidence or lack of confidence will transfer to the horse you are training. If you can hook up with a GOOD trainer through a good lesson program you might want to do that. IF you hire a trainer WATCH HIM/HER work with horses that are NOT yours before you send yours!!! The trainer who told you to get rid of this horse probably was not of a good class (lots of ppl say they are horse or dog trainers and they should be doing something else.. riding ATV's and keeping stuff animals.. because they should not be working with live animals).

    2.) Can you build a mounting block? Do that. This way you can teach your horse to come up to that mounting block and he can get used to your over top of him. Your position up high (on his back) coupled with the new feeling of weight on his back are why he is spooking and dancing (plus your nerves feeding into this).

    3.) Long line him.. drive him from the ground. Get him used to a bit or a side pull. I like a side pull or a half breed myself when I see this horse and you with him. After he knows how to turn and respond to the side pull or snaffle bit or half breed and when you ride him steer him by separating your hands and pulling out to the side (called using a leading rein) on the side you want him to turn towards.. while moving the other hand forward to give slack on the side he is turning away from. Eventually you will be able to keep your hands together over his neck.. but he is learning and so for awhile you help him all you can and use a leading rein.

    4.) Get an appropriate properly fitting helmet and wear it. You are breaking in a green horse and green horses are not predictable. Wear safety equipment to protect your head. You cannot ride or do anything if you get hurt and believe me.. from what I am seeing of your riding skills you should be wearing a helmet. I am not saying that to diss you.. I just see a pretty nice horse and would hate for you to get hurt and that horse to be sold down the road.
    Beling likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-02-2013, 08:54 AM
      #12
    Green Broke
    You know.. I went back and looked at this little horse again. I really like something about this horse. I really want this horse to succeed.. he has something about him that is quite nice.
         
        08-02-2013, 09:28 AM
      #13
    Foal
    He's beautiful but I agree, wear a helmet missy!!! Also, do you have a round pen or smaller corral?
         
        08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
      #14
    Green Broke
    I agree with ground driving, a smaller corral, and a helmet. I'm not going to preach endlessly about saftey gear, but I think its worth a mention. A family member of mine fell in a freak accident, which caused a severe concussion, and 'post concussion syndrome'. They went from having a near photographic memory, to not remembering at lunch where they were, or what they ate for breakfast, as well as having cronic migrains requiring prescription painkillers every day, for the last 10 years, with no releif in sight. Because of this I wear helmets 90% of the time. I have smashed and mangled three helmets riding problem horses and starting colts. Its worth the investment.

    I like this horse, and applaud your determination.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:32 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elana    
    I would suggest a couple of things.. more than a couple actually. Please take this advice as it is meant.. help for you and help for you to succeed.

    1.) Have you taken GOOD riding lessons on an experienced horse with a GOOD instructor? Do that if you can. Improve your riding and your confidence because your confidence or lack of confidence will transfer to the horse you are training. If you can hook up with a GOOD trainer through a good lesson program you might want to do that. IF you hire a trainer WATCH HIM/HER work with horses that are NOT yours before you send yours!!! The trainer who told you to get rid of this horse probably was not of a good class (lots of ppl say they are horse or dog trainers and they should be doing something else.. riding ATV's and keeping stuff animals.. because they should not be working with live animals).
    I have taken lessons with a trainer, for a few years until she moved away. There's not any trainers in my area now that she's moved away. I had to take Lakota 2 1/2 hours just to get him to someone who would break him. This guy was supposed to be the "real deal" but ended up conning me out of $300.

    2.) Can you build a mounting block? Do that. This way you can teach your horse to come up to that mounting block and he can get used to your over top of him. Your position up high (on his back) coupled with the new feeling of weight on his back are why he is spooking and dancing (plus your nerves feeding into this).
    We've been working with the up high/weight on his back for a while now. He'll stand still to let me saddle him and mount/dismount. The reason why he's so spooky in this video is because of my brother, honestly. He doesn't like men. I made my brother work with him for about an hour before he actually led us around. They still have a lot of bonding to do.

    3.) Long line him.. drive him from the ground. Get him used to a bit or a side pull. I like a side pull or a half breed myself when I see this horse and you with him. After he knows how to turn and respond to the side pull or snaffle bit or half breed and when you ride him steer him by separating your hands and pulling out to the side (called using a leading rein) on the side you want him to turn towards.. while moving the other hand forward to give slack on the side he is turning away from. Eventually you will be able to keep your hands together over his neck.. but he is learning and so for awhile you help him all you can and use a leading rein.
    He's had a bit in his mouth, and I've worked on his steering during our groundwork, but this was his first time to take steps with a rider and I just wanted to do this with a halter. The second ride, yes he will have a snaffle bit and we will work on me riding him by myself.

    4.) Get an appropriate properly fitting helmet and wear it. You are breaking in a green horse and green horses are not predictable. Wear safety equipment to protect your head. You cannot ride or do anything if you get hurt and believe me.. from what I am seeing of your riding skills you should be wearing a helmet. I am not saying that to diss you.. I just see a pretty nice horse and would hate for you to get hurt and that horse to be sold down the road.
    I don't have one, and the tack stores around here really don't sell them. I can see if my friend has one, but I doubt it. If she does, then I will wear one.But believe me even if I did get hurt, this horse would never be sold. He's in my name, and no one could decide to legally sell him besides me. I've tried to sell him before, but I backed out of the deal the day before a lady was supposed to come pick him up.
    P.S. I know my riding here looks shotty, but I wasn't focusing on looking great. I was focused on the horse, staying balanced, holding on, and making sure Lakota stayed calm. When someone is leading you around, you don't really have a chance to show off your riding skills. I know that my feet were sticking out, but that's because I didn't want to kick him and make him run over my brother if he freaked out. Like I said, this was his first time to walk around with any weight on his back, and we're taking baby steps.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:37 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilypoo    
    He's beautiful but I agree, wear a helmet missy!!! Also, do you have a round pen or smaller corral?
    I do, but it's at my grandparents' house, and we use it to lunge my other horse around in. For some reason, they won't bring it over to my brother's house and right now this is the only lot that we can keep Lakota in.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elana    
    You know.. I went back and looked at this little horse again. I really like something about this horse. I really want this horse to succeed.. he has something about him that is quite nice.
    He's very special to me. He's brought me out of some really dark places in my life. He also has a lot of champions on his 5-gen. We were lucky to get him for only $500 because the man that bred him was breeding his last crop of foals that year and gave us a huge discount because we were family friends.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:41 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
    I agree with ground driving, a smaller corral, and a helmet. I'm not going to preach endlessly about saftey gear, but I think its worth a mention. A family member of mine fell in a freak accident, which caused a severe concussion, and 'post concussion syndrome'. They went from having a near photographic memory, to not remembering at lunch where they were, or what they ate for breakfast, as well as having cronic migrains requiring prescription painkillers every day, for the last 10 years, with no releif in sight. Because of this I wear helmets 90% of the time. I have smashed and mangled three helmets riding problem horses and starting colts. Its worth the investment.

    I like this horse, and applaud your determination.
    Thank you! Like I said, there's really no where around here to get a helmet, but if I find one, I'll wear it.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Just buy online, they ship to your door.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Elana likes this.
         
        08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
    Just buy online, they ship to your door.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    What website has the best ones? I can't get a really expensive one, because I only have about $75 on my debit card at the moment.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Lakota's Journal Jennakaaate Member Journals 1 04-15-2013 03:36 PM
    Lakota - my baby Lakotababii Horse Memorials 22 07-15-2012 09:20 PM
    Lakota and I Juby Horse Pictures 7 11-25-2011 01:48 PM
    My Pretty Lakota!! HorseLovinLady Horse Pictures 13 10-20-2011 06:56 PM
    Lakota and Me TheRoughrider21 Horse Pictures 2 10-11-2010 04:00 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0