Breeding Stud turned Riding horse problems - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cave City, KY
Posts: 987
• Horses: 2
I would ask your aunt if you can borrow her for a bit. It won't take long at all. If you are able to do it watch them. Let them sort things out it may mean your gelding being kicked at but as long as it doesn't go into a full blown fight leave them to let it sort it out. He needs that part of it is he doesn't respect other horses. He needs to learn that as well.

Striving to always excel in everything I do. Whether I fail or not I always try to do better than last time.
equus717 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
I have a horse that was gelded a month before I picked him up and he was almost 4. He was a very bad stallion I.e. Too many hormones and started attacking people. So it did take some time to re-establish a proper relationship. It took about a year of consistent handling. I would not use any kind of chain on him that will just build resentment and possibly make him more dangerous - a rope halter is sufficient. I agree with the turnout and it is better for him to be turned out and socialized with lots of horses if possible. In the meantime you need to consider his mood and the time of year. It's Spring right now and the mares are all going into heat and of course he's going to know that.
TheLovedOne is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 155
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus717 View Post
I would ask your aunt if you can borrow her for a bit. It won't take long at all. If you are able to do it watch them. Let them sort things out it may mean your gelding being kicked at but as long as it doesn't go into a full blown fight leave them to let it sort it out. He needs that part of it is he doesn't respect other horses. He needs to learn that as well.

She doesnt have shoes on so getting kicked would not hurt him that bad. Besides that he still thinks he is a stud so he feels the only pain he feels is when his feelings get hurt

I would not leave them unattended no way not after the way he has been acting toward my gelding. I would be afraid of what I would come back to!!
horselvr is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cave City, KY
Posts: 987
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselvr View Post
She doesnt have shoes on so getting kicked would not hurt him that bad. Besides that he still thinks he is a stud so he feels the only pain he feels is when his feelings get hurt

I would not leave them unattended no way not after the way he has been acting toward my gelding. I would be afraid of what I would come back to!!
Awesome. Good luck and keep us posted.

Striving to always excel in everything I do. Whether I fail or not I always try to do better than last time.
equus717 is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,063
• Horses: 24
Truthfully, if he is having most of his issues under saddle, then that's where he needs the most work. Contrary to popular belief, groundwork won't solve all under saddle problems. The only way to get them broke to ride is to ride them, a lot. Miles and miles and wet saddle pads every day would do that horse a world of good.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
Contrary to popular belief, groundwork won't solve all under saddle problems. The only way to get them broke to ride is to ride them, a lot. Miles and miles and wet saddle pads every day would do that horse a world of good.
This is contrary to popular belief.... really.
TheLovedOne is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,063
• Horses: 24
There you go with that snarky attitude again :roll:.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,324
• Horses: 0
Could you put up corral panels inside the pasture with the other horses, so that he is getting somewhat socialized, but not able to hurt the other horses? It would be a pain in the butt to have him in there, but it would help.

I agree with smrobs as well with just getting more miles on him.

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows. --Epictetus
VelvetsAB is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 924
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
Truthfully, if he is having most of his issues under saddle, then that's where he needs the most work. Contrary to popular belief, groundwork won't solve all under saddle problems. The only way to get them broke to ride is to ride them, a lot. Miles and miles and wet saddle pads every day would do that horse a world of good.
I agree with smrobs. The reason being since your horse behaves well on the ground and you can ride him bareback in an arena the next step would be to put those "miles and miles and wet, sweaty saddle pads" on him. What mouth piece does your D-ring snaffle have on it? Just a suggestion, but you might consider switching to a side-pull headstall with an o-ring snaffle. Your horse "runs through the D-ring snaffle", because he can. For arena work the D-ring is a good choice, but for some horses the side-pull w/snaffle gives the rider a little more to work with for control. Plus, the side-pull is not a severe form of control.

Keep us updated on how it goes....
candandy49 is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 155
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
Truthfully, if he is having most of his issues under saddle, then that's where he needs the most work. Contrary to popular belief, groundwork won't solve all under saddle problems. The only way to get them broke to ride is to ride them, a lot. Miles and miles and wet saddle pads every day would do that horse a world of good.
This is also my Dads opinion. That I need to put miles on him. I want to put miles on him trust me, I love to ride and we go on 6+ hour rides typically which the last one was almost 4 hours and he didnt even break a sweat. It was pretty easy trails overall not a lot of hills and not a lot of rough terrain. I don't mind riding a rough horse I have done it a lot especially with my barrel horses, I just don't like having NO control. That is a scary position to be in. I am afraid with the lack of control and him not realizing he is not a stud if he were try to mount a mare or something I would have no way to stop him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB View Post
Could you put up corral panels inside the pasture with the other horses, so that he is getting somewhat socialized, but not able to hurt the other horses? It would be a pain in the butt to have him in there, but it would help.

I agree with smrobs as well with just getting more miles on him.
We have the corral up next to the pasture where he can touch noses with the other horses, he calls to them, they come over and then he strikes out. So they mosey away. I have never done it but what do you * and the others * think about tying him in the pasture on a patience pole? I would not leave him unattended but that way I am sure he cannot get to the other horses they can come smell him and be around but he can't hurt them really. We have a a telephone pole in the middle of one of the pastures we use for young horses to learn "patience" there are no wires or anything on it, we put it there so when we are teaching our young ones to stand tied they don't get hurt. They can't rare up and puncture themselves and there is nothing to get caught on if they throw them selves down. It was just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candandy49 View Post
I agree with smrobs. The reason being since your horse behaves well on the ground and you can ride him bareback in an arena the next step would be to put those "miles and miles and wet, sweaty saddle pads" on him. What mouth piece does your D-ring snaffle have on it? Just a suggestion, but you might consider switching to a side-pull headstall with an o-ring snaffle. Your horse "runs through the D-ring snaffle", because he can. For arena work the D-ring is a good choice, but for some horses the side-pull w/snaffle gives the rider a little more to work with for control. Plus, the side-pull is not a severe form of control.

Keep us updated on how it goes....
Just a regular old copper snaffle. I didnt want to put an O ring on him because in my experience they pinch horses. I don't want to give him a bad experience as he is just learning to take a bit. We worked for weeks up to taking the bit and he does but he is still not comfortable in it. (you know, started by putting the lead rope in and out of his mouth before I asked him to take a bit) I tried a snaffle with longer shanks but he was chewing on the shanks so I didnt want him to be able to "grab" the bit out of my hand. I might look into a side pull this weekend...

I am still waiting for the trainer to get back to me to see if he can help me...
horselvr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to know how to go about breeding my stud lizard13 Horse Breeding 13 10-10-2012 10:22 PM
Considering breeding to this Friesian stud... Snookeys Horse Breeding 0 11-06-2010 02:55 AM
Favourite Breeding Stud? HorsePride Horse Breeding 18 01-23-2010 09:42 PM
Driving turned Riding Horse Bobbylandford Horse Training 9 10-13-2009 09:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome