Cantering
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Cantering

This is a discussion on Cantering within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Skyseternalangel
    • 1 Post By Laffeetaffee

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-01-2013, 10:06 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Exclamation Cantering

    So I have a gaited Kentucky Mountain Horse, he is only 5. I use him for 4-H in Saddleseat. He can do his walk and his amble nicely. I can lunge him to walk, trot, and amble.
    I just need tips on getting him to canter. He will canter up a hill but its not that nice, pretty , rocky chair canter, its more of a gallop when I am on the flat.
    I know that I need to slow down and start again but then he gets frustrated. I need help.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
      #2
    Started
    Do you have smaller area where you can work on canter?

    Or area you can make a circle while you do?

    And are you keeping legs off and still, and also hands low and quiet, and seat still, or are you bouncing and jiggling? Those will get horse to speed up too.

    What type of area are you riding in? Pasture, ring, or what?

    And how often is he getting ridden too?
         
        04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palomine    
    Do you have smaller area where you can work on canter?

    Or area you can make a circle while you do?

    And are you keeping legs off and still, and also hands low and quiet, and seat still, or are you bouncing and jiggling? Those will get horse to speed up too.

    What type of area are you riding in? Pasture, ring, or what?

    And how often is he getting ridden too?
    He is ridden in a field and inside a ring, I don't bounce because he's easy to sit on he's just too fast. I ride him atleast 4 or more times a week.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
      #4
    Showing
    Some horses have a jagged canter instead of a soft canter. It's from how they are built.

    Maybe your guy is lacking balance or cross firing.

    Hope you figure something out.
         
        04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Some horses have a jagged canter instead of a soft canter. It's from how they are built.

    Maybe your guy is lacking balance or cross firing.

    Hope you figure something out.
    What's crossfiring, and if he's lacking.balance is there anyway to tell?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
      #6
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xoxosalem    
    What's crossfiring, and if he's lacking.balance is there anyway to tell?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    There is a certain pattern of the feet during each gait.

    Walk is front L back L front R back R
    Trot is Front L Back R, Front R Back L

    Now Canter (on a right lead) is Left F, Right F and Back L together, Back R, and then a moment of suspension.

    Cross firing is when a horse is not in that pattern.

    ~~

    It's just a feel.. if he's bracing on you a lot or if he feels wobbly and not fluid then he may be unbalanced.
    xoxosalem likes this.
         
        04-02-2013, 09:26 PM
      #7
    Foal
    A good way to help a horse canter correctly is to free-lunge them in a round pen or even in an arena, just swing the whip and get them up into a canter and have them canter around for a while. My MFT mare also had a hard time cantering because she was always asked to trot, so when I finally started cantering her, she was sloppy and hollow-backed. Just letting her loose in the big arena a few times a week and letting her canter around helped her figure out how to carry herself properly, then I hopped on and basically let her loose so she could figure out how to canter with a rider.
    xoxosalem likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Cantering courtneyraae Horse Training 0 12-30-2012 11:26 PM
    Cantering :/ cowgirl928 Horse Training 3 02-16-2012 10:21 PM
    Cantering...:) JustMuckItxD English Riding 5 04-05-2011 02:02 PM
    Help Cantering!!! kasdia77 Horse Riding Critique 2 10-25-2010 12:13 AM
    Cantering eqryder92 Horse Training 13 12-27-2008 04:54 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0