collecting and moving foward....
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

collecting and moving foward....

This is a discussion on collecting and moving foward.... within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-23-2007, 09:29 PM
      #1
    Foal
    collecting and moving foward....

    I have a 3 year old gelding and when I ride him he tends to go on his forehand *spelling???* I would like some tips on how to fix this problem and a few others :

    How do I teach him to collect for dressage?

    Is he ready for collecting?

    I've been jumping him over 1 foot jumps and he does them with such ease, and I need to know if I can move him up or if I should lay off the jumping so I don't mess up his legs.

    That's all for now until I can think of more q's.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
      #2
    Weanling
    If you mean by going on the forehand you mean she carries her weight on the forhand. Then by using your seat and legs to encourage the horse folward but keeping contact on the reins so she can't increase in speed should allow her to lighten her forehand. As for the jumping I would not jump a horse any heigher than that at her age but I no many people do
    Hope I was some help
         
        05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
      #3
    Weanling
    A 3 yr old?

    My filly is a 3 yr old and im only walking and a little bit of trotting
    But I guess everyone's different.

    I wasnt going to start introcuing Jumps untill she was 5-6 years old. Same as benny.

    So you mean collecting and going forward like -



    Or



    Just 2 example.
         
        05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by *ArabianPrincess*
    a 3 yr old?

    My filly is a 3 yr old and im only walking and a little bit of trotting
    But I guess everyone's different.

    I wasnt going to start introcuing Jumps untill she was 5-6 years old. Same as benny.

    So you mean collecting and going forward like -



    Or



    Just 2 example.
    sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to jump him. Just to be sure that I don't mess him up, but I just love to event so much I couldnt help myself and I don't have any other horses to ride. He does great so I guess i'm not hurting him. Both of thoes pics look great!!! How do you train a horse to do both? Thanx for the tips btw
         
        05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    I hope I don't sound rude by saying this..

    Joey - If you are wanting to collect and be off the forehand, you are going to want to go a different route then what is being displayed in the pictures. In my opinion, the horse in the pictures is on the forehand, evading contact and lacks impulsion. The horse is being ridden below the bit. You can see the horse evading the contact by the slack in the reins. You want contact - always, unless you are riding on the buckle or a free walk.
    I 99% agree with what Giget said. The only thing I disagree with it rather then increasing speed, you want to increase stride length and use of the back end while maintaining the same speed.

    Basically, don't worry about headset. A pretty frame and head set does not equal a light forehand. At this stage, you want to work on forward movement and active gaits.
    I also disagree with jumping so soon. Personally, I believe the ground work should be established before jumping. Even more so, I don't jump before 5 years of age. You may not see the damage being done now, but I promise, you will in the future. It isn't worth the risk. If you love jumping, get out there and jump them yourself. Leave the horse out of it. If you want more info on the subject, let me know.
         
        05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Personally, I think you should do what you like, if you want to jump, you should. I know of a pony that was jumping 3ft + rounds when he was 3/4, so if you want to jump 1 foot, go for it if the pony is going to be an eventer. To get off the fore hand try some turning on the haunches (where the front legs go around the back legs without the backlegs moving- I often get mixed up!) doing these brings misty off the forehand :)
         
        05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristy
    I hope I don't sound rude by saying this..

    Joey - If you are wanting to collect and be off the forehand, you are going to want to go a different route then what is being displayed in the pictures. In my opinion, the horse in the pictures is on the forehand, evading contact and lacks impulsion. The horse is being ridden below the bit. You can see the horse evading the contact by the slack in the reins. You want contact - always, unless you are riding on the buckle or a free walk.
    I 99% agree with what Giget said. The only thing I disagree with it rather then increasing speed, you want to increase stride length and use of the back end while maintaining the same speed.

    Basically, don't worry about headset. A pretty frame and head set does not equal a light forehand. At this stage, you want to work on forward movement and active gaits.
    I also disagree with jumping so soon. Personally, I believe the ground work should be established before jumping. Even more so, I don't jump before 5 years of age. You may not see the damage being done now, but I promise, you will in the future. It isn't worth the risk. If you love jumping, get out there and jump them yourself. Leave the horse out of it. If you want more info on the subject, let me know.

    So it's better to run a horse around barrels when they are three than to jump over one foot jumps? Sorry it's just that I know of people that are jumping two year olds over 2 foot jumps.

    Sorry, where are my manners? I'm just a little upset that I might have damaged the loved of my life. Is there any way to fix what i've done or is Rain SOL for life? :(
         
        05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joseylovesrain123
    so it's better to run a horse around barrels when they are three than to jump over one foot jumps? Sorry it's just that I know of people that are jumping two year olds over 2 foot jumps.

    Sorry, where are my manners? I'm just a little upset that I might have damaged the loved of my life. Is there any way to fix what i've done or is Rain SOL for life? :(
    What? I'm a little confused. Where did barrels come from? I don't even believe lunging is good for youngsters, let along barrels. It's too much stress on the joints.

    I can understand being upset. Yes, you can help the situation by taking things slow and not jumping at this time. You will have many years to jump, why rush at the risk of your horse's well being? I can tell you are concerned. I don't think you would have posted to begin with if you are and I commend you for this. Personally, if I were you, I would be doing MASSIVE amounts of ground work, desensitization, work on walking, trotting and over all manners. What you have on the ground always equates to the same attitude under saddle. If you'd like any help or suggestions on what to perfect while you're waiting on your little one to grow, let me know.
         
        05-24-2007, 11:19 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joseylovesrain123
    so it's better to run a horse around barrels when they are three than to jump over one foot jumps? Sorry it's just that I know of people that are jumping two year olds over 2 foot jumps.

    Sorry, where are my manners? I'm just a little upset that I might have damaged the loved of my life. Is there any way to fix what i've done or is Rain SOL for life? :(
    What? I'm a little confused. Where did barrels come from? I don't even believe lunging is good for youngsters, let along barrels. It's too much stress on the joints.

    I can understand being upset. Yes, you can help the situation by taking things slow and not jumping at this time. You will have many years to jump, why rush at the risk of your horse's well being? I can tell you are concerned. I don't think you would have posted to begin with if you are and I commend you for this. Personally, if I were you, I would be doing MASSIVE amounts of ground work, desensitization, work on walking, trotting and over all manners. What you have on the ground always equates to the same attitude under saddle. If you'd like any help or suggestions on what to perfect while you're waiting on your little one to grow, let me know.
    sorry it was just that it always made me so mad when I saw 2 year old messing up their legs from barrel racing, and now i'm like thoes people but with jumping instead. Also it's just that at the barn I was at it seemed like a giant competition to be the best jumper/eventer ever, so when I left do to the comp. The girl I was "competing" with e-mailed me all of the time with pics of her jumping and she was almost getting as good as I and I just can stand that thought. Now I feel selfish for being like that, but for some reason I can't help it. I see all of these pics/videos/TV shows of people jumping huge jumps and I want that so bad!!! And it always seemed like Rain loved jumping. Oh and ever since I started jumping everything else started to get boring. Does this make me selfish? I hope not. I wish I could change, I raly realy do. But for some rason it doesnt seem like everyone else had to wait year and years to start jumping their horses and I don't have a lot of money to spend on training and riding lessons. Uh I feel terrible right now.
         
        05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    I accilly ride my horse with no rein. I rather be riding my horse like that then like this -



    Benny likes a loose rein anyways
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0