Crazy horse
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Crazy horse

This is a discussion on Crazy horse within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse wants to go fast

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-11-2012, 10:49 PM
  #1
Foal
Crazy horse

I'm a new member and looking for some helpful training advise. I currently have three horses all were giving to me but one is giving me some trouble. He is a horse that was rescued from a slaughter house was bought at six cents a pound and he was only 750lbs. He is ridable but being that he is a retired race horse he always wants to go fast and I want him for trail riding. He also only wants to go left in the round pen but I have been making him go right only. He also has a bitting problem. He bites my 28 year old mare as well as my 4 year old gelding. Any help would be great!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-11-2012, 10:57 PM
  #2
Trained
Does he bite your other horses while they are out in the pasture or corraled next to each other? Or while you are handling him? If it is when they are turned out together, there isn't anything you can do, except separate them, horses are horses and some are bullies & some are bossy. As far as getting your horse to go to the right, if you made him do it, I don't know what you are asking, sorry. How to make him like going to the right? I don't know, maybe give him lots of praise when he does. As for slowing him down, I would do lots of circles, flexing, turn on the forehand, haunches, walking/trotting over poles, going around cones, sidepassing, etc - little exercises like that to keep his mind occupied on listening to you instead of wanting to go forward & fast.
DRichmond likes this.
     
    05-11-2012, 11:03 PM
  #3
Foal
He always wants to make turns to the left. Its really hard for me to make him go to the right he wants to fight me and go to the left rather then right so what I am saying if we are riding and I want him to go right he will fight me and try to go left.
     
    05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by colenelson782    
He always wants to make turns to the left. Its really hard for me to make him go to the right he wants to fight me and go to the left rather then right so what I am saying if we are riding and I want him to go right he will fight me and try to go left.

Every horse is a lefty or a righty. Start with some basics, sounds like he needs some retraining. Lots of right circles.and figure 8s someone else will comment with a whole list of things you can do with him its a normal training problem
     
    05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
  #5
Showing
I would check him for pain.

It's going to take a long time to retrain your ex racer, especially since he's already giving you some trouble. Is there a trainer who could help you that is experienced with re-training racers?
     
    05-11-2012, 11:16 PM
  #6
Yearling
Kinda sounds like you have a racehorse that was primarily handled from the left side. On the track there's no need to have this horse gentle about everything, and they're not going to spend the time to make him user-friendly. A horse that's led and mounted from the left side will want to keep you on his left. When riding, he doesn't wanna see you out of his right eye. You don't have to understand why, just acknowledge it.

Looks like you need to make a decision on whether you have the skills to address the problem. There will likely be more problems, and some could be more dangerous. Are you old enough to retrain a racehorse? Do you have the skills? Do you have a good independent seat?
tinyliny and Skyseternalangel like this.
     
    05-11-2012, 11:25 PM
  #7
Foal
I have been working with him everyday he learns very fast and is an easy going horse besides with my other horses. When I got him he had not been touched in over two years and I was able to saddle him and throw a leg over and ride. He gave no attitude at all. And I am young enough to do this. Just looking for ideas to help when he wants to race I stop him and make him back up the start forward again I back him up every time he wants to go go go.
     
    05-11-2012, 11:38 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by colenelson782    
I have been working with him everyday he learns very fast and is an easy going horse besides with my other horses. When I got him he had not been touched in over two years and I was able to saddle him and throw a leg over and ride. He gave no attitude at all. And I am young enough to do this. Just looking for ideas to help when he wants to race I stop him and make him back up the start forward again I back him up every time he wants to go go go.
ugh. Yea I don't know if that gogogogo ever stops... I had an old trainer tell me once when my horse was 3 and off track training bc of a nasty leg injury... he said next year hell calm down ull see... year went by same thing... well my horse is 5 and he sais to me... well maybe not you just got a feisty one lol this trainer is like 85... then now he's 9 and trained I can handle him more but if I ask him to go his youth comes back and you see that race horse agian in 0-3 seconds. Its great he's arguably the fastest "trail horse" around lol
colenelson782 likes this.
     
    05-11-2012, 11:55 PM
  #9
Weanling
OTTBs are awesome, and sounds like you're doing great with him so far! As far as his biting, I don't know how long he's been with you, but if he's fairly new he's probably overwhelmed with not having to spend his life in a **** stall and maybe that's why he's a little "overzealous" with your other two. If he's driving them nuts, I hope you can put him in separate area. Hopefully if he's not been with you too long he'll start to calm down. I'm sure he's never had a normal social life.

What if you do everything on his right? Mount, tack up, and ride like you are already doing. Everything on the right, deprogramming him, and once he's catching on which I'm sure he will under your guidance, little jigs to the left, then back to the right all the time, etc.

Another idea, if you have a very, very small area to work in initially and can gradually expand the area bit by bit as you think he is gaining the understanding, the built-in limitations of space will help him pick up quickly what you're telling him. If he wants to break, you can just go back a step to a smaller pen.

Another help may be to have someone pony you two at a snail pace lol and get him used to just donk donk donk on the trail.

The problem you may run into later is that once you get him deprogrammed, putting him into more than a walk is going to be the next step, but if you use the same methods I think he'll pick it up super fast.

I think the world of you for taking on an OTTB :) Big kudos!
     
    05-12-2012, 12:18 AM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRichmond    
OTTBs are awesome, and sounds like you're doing great with him so far! As far as his biting, I don't know how long he's been with you, but if he's fairly new he's probably overwhelmed with not having to spend his life in a **** stall and maybe that's why he's a little "overzealous" with your other two. If he's driving them nuts, I hope you can put him in separate area. Hopefully if he's not been with you too long he'll start to calm down. I'm sure he's never had a normal social life.

What if you do everything on his right? Mount, tack up, and ride like you are already doing. Everything on the right, deprogramming him, and once he's catching on which I'm sure he will under your guidance, little jigs to the left, then back to the right all the time, etc.

Another idea, if you have a very, very small area to work in initially and can gradually expand the area bit by bit as you think he is gaining the understanding, the built-in limitations of space will help him pick up quickly what you're telling him. If he wants to break, you can just go back a step to a smaller pen.

Another help may be to have someone pony you two at a snail pace lol and get him used to just donk donk donk on the trail.

The problem you may run into later is that once you get him deprogrammed, putting him into more than a walk is going to be the next step, but if you use the same methods I think he'll pick it up super fast.

I think the world of you for taking on an OTTB :) Big kudos!
I love this advice :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You know you're horse crazy when.. ernie5567 Horse Talk 64 06-16-2012 01:27 AM
crazy mare-ending the crazy Iseul Member Journals 1 06-12-2011 08:52 PM
My horse is Crazy X( Raven Lunatic Horse Training 31 04-08-2011 03:30 AM
Is my horse crazy? EquestrianHollywood Horse Talk 10 01-29-2010 02:21 PM
Crazy Crazy Crazy Horse Race - blue diomond Wins(my horse) xspyderxx Horse Videos 2 10-08-2007 03:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0