Crime scene tape?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Crime scene tape?

This is a discussion on Crime scene tape? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Crime scene tape?

    First of all, what kind of tape would the yellow crime scene tape that detectives use to section off crime scenes be classified under?

    Secondly, have any of you ever used this type of tape to section off a huge pasture to make an extremely temporary smaller corral for your horses? I'd use three horizontal sections of it. I've been thinking about doing this but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had the same idea, and what the pros and cons to this might be. I have a shy horse that is getting very fat and hard to catch and I thought I might just section her off with the crime scene tape so she would be enclosed in a smaller area with less food and less room for her to run away from me.

    I can't think of anything else :/
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
      #2
    Yearling
    Well it's very very weak. I once made a dress out of it, actually lol.
    But I know for a fact if my boy decided he didn't want to be caught, nothing short of a strand of electric will stop him.
    Why don't you limit her turnout time and teach her to be caught rather then beating around the bush and boxing her into a small area.
         
        08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
      #3
    Foal
    Very flimsy. Even a moderate breeze would stretch it and tear it. And not cheap, either.

    Must be better, more economical solutions.
         
        08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmacdougall    
    Well it's very very weak. I once made a dress out of it, actually lol.
    But I know for a fact if my boy decided he didn't want to be caught, nothing short of a strand of electric will stop him.
    Why don't you limit her turnout time and teach her to be caught rather then beating around the bush and boxing her into a small area.
    Well, I guess I can't teach my horse to be caught if she won't let me catch her :/
         
        08-01-2010, 02:42 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seattle    
    Well, I guess I can't teach my horse to be caught if she won't let me catch her :/
    Sure you can. Go out their with a lunge whip. When she wants to run, you make sure she doesn't stop running til you allow her to. Depending on the size of your pasture, you may have to do quite a bit of running yourself, but no one said it was easy.
         
        08-01-2010, 03:47 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmacdougall    
    Sure you can. Go out their with a lunge whip. When she wants to run, you make sure she doesn't stop running til you allow her to. Depending on the size of your pasture, you may have to do quite a bit of running yourself, but no one said it was easy.
    How does chasing a horse around with a whip help them want to come near you in the future? I can see tiring them out so much that they no longer want to run and then they're easier to catch but how does this not just tell you horse that everytime you come into the pasture that they are probably going to have to run around?
         
        08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zeke    
    How does chasing a horse around with a whip help them want to come near you in the future? I can see tiring them out so much that they no longer want to run and then they're easier to catch but how does this not just tell you horse that everytime you come into the pasture that they are probably going to have to run around?
    Eventually the horse puts two and two together - if I'm going to run away, I have to do a lot more work then I would normally have to. They decide it's easier just to come to the person then to retreat.

    Every hard to catch horse I've ever worked with - which is, quite a few, have come around using this method after about a week or two.
         
        08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
      #8
    Started
    Horses are lazy creatures. They are also smart. If you run them then let them rest close to you, they will prefer to be close to you.
         
        08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    If I were you I think I'd invest in something like this. That is the ideal temporary paddock, you say "extremely temporary" this is for overnight holding. If not this, than another setup using this type of tape is a good option. It is strong, visible, and is intended to be hot. But for horses who respect a fence, it would probably work without being hot, at least on a short term/temporary basis.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    How to use a weight tape Plains Drifter Horse Talk 1 01-08-2010 08:33 PM
    White tape fencing and...duct tape? .....Just read it. =P ShannonSevenfold Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-07-2009 11:43 AM
    Tape Worm Alycat Horse Health 19 07-12-2009 05:39 PM
    Tape Fencing MN Tigerstripes Barn Maintenance 6 07-03-2009 11:59 PM
    Kathleen on the scene! KGImages Member Journals 5 01-29-2009 02:44 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0