Crop or not? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipsfirstspike View Post
She can absolutely ask questions, but no foot stomping and saying 'no, my horsey doesn't need that'.
Actually I did it with one instructor I used for month or so. She ripped me off on bunch of money (like buying super expensive pad through her, which "will improve your riding", of course it didn't, only lessons can). When she said she'll go to the store with me and pick what she thinks should go on my horse (like flash, which my horse doesn't need at all, bit harsher then mine, which again my very laid back horse doesn't need, etc.) and of course I have to pay for all these equipment (because you know I'm a money machine ) I said "that's enough" and stopped all lessons with her. So situations can be different.
kitten_Val is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack View Post
To add - the best thing to do if that were the case would be to do the horse a favor by working with them to overcome that.
Exactly.

None of mine are afraid of my various whips, crops and bats. I can rub the horses all over with them, even on their faces.

If I'm in the saddle and the horse needs correction, he'll get tapped. That's far from being abusive.

Citing the Native American warriors as being gentle with their horses? Please, don't make me laugh! They didn't have time to baby their animals and play the "Touch the Booty" or "Porcupine" games with them. The animals had to be trained quickly, and that meant some pretty rough handling.

Waxing poetic about the 'natural' methods used by the NAs is nothing but a Disney fairytale.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #33 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiStar View Post
Everyone on this forum is from different countries and back rounds so I don't see why you get away with telling me that my theory in how I want to ride my horse is wrong. I found out that in this forum its the AMerican way of doing things despite the fact were not all from America and have different teaching styles and learning environments are methids are instantly wrong.
I going to disagree with this statement. There is plenty of people from Australia and Europe here who give their opinions and different approaches.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #34 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in my stables
Posts: 1,210
• Horses: 9
Chella my horse reacts very badly to a crop which has been expressed to my instructer I don't know why.
However I don't see why bringing the crop into an open space wold benefit either of us therefore I leave it not worth the added drama.

Themacpack what a very narrow minded reply how come because we don't use crops mean were on bunny slopes that is absolutley ridiculous.
If my horse jumps without a smack then its not needed yet of course im clearly wandering around an arena unable to ride beacuse I don't believe I need one.

To give a horse your heart guarantees a love that will last forever undamageable
MaggiStar is offline  
post #35 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 322
• Horses: 0
I would've personally just taken the crop and rode on as you can hold one without ever using one. It's a good aid to have. However, if you don't want to ride with one so be it. You don't have to. Just like your instructor doesn't have you let you on the larger fences without one.
Cougar is offline  
post #36 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Anky Van Grusmen is an international gold medalist, is she a good rider and horsewomen?
Posted via Mobile Device
StormyBlues is offline  
post #37 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 322
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiStar View Post
Chella my horse reacts very badly to a crop which has been expressed to my instructer I don't know why.
However I don't see why bringing the crop into an open space wold benefit either of us therefore I leave it not worth the added drama.

Themacpack what a very narrow minded reply how come because we don't use crops mean were on bunny slopes that is absolutley ridiculous.
If my horse jumps without a smack then its not needed yet of course im clearly wandering around an arena unable to ride beacuse I don't believe I need one.
Have you considered maybe taking something softer out with you? My guy was sensitive to whips too but he responds erally well to soft pieces of fabric being used the same way a crop would be. Just tossing the idea out there you may be able to compramise and both be happy.
Cougar is offline  
post #38 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 993
• Horses: 2
Maggistar

I'm sorry. I too make an assumption from the other posts that you were a young teen. (Maybe you mentioned your mom? ) So I thought that your parents were paying.
Good for you for working for your own lessons.
If I were you, I would still bite the bullet on this one. If your instructor is good in most other aspects and you don't want to lose her, I would just carry the crop.
She can't make you use it, but it doesn't hurt anyone for you to carry it.
Skipsfirstspike is offline  
post #39 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 993
• Horses: 2
Kittenval

Agreed! Lol! Was not talking about buying stuff! I am the first one to admit that my horsey does not need anything out of my price range!
I am the one who needs and wants all the expensive stuff!!
Why oh why didn't I marry rich???
Skipsfirstspike is offline  
post #40 of 117 Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiStar View Post
She DEMANDED I brought a crop out cross country and I was not going out without one. I have never used a crop EVER on this particular horse there is just no need she is so sensitive that iv never kicked her all I do is squeeze.

I explained that to my instructer that I didnt feel comfortable using a stick when it was not needed.

She replied you don't go cross country with out a crop now never mind that iv competed this horse every weekend and yet am to need a crop she is just an eager to please foreward going horse.
Your initial post - you have never EVER used a crop on this horse. In later responses you say the horse reacts badly when she sees one. Which is it?

Look at FEI level riders. They have crops. They might have them in their in the top of their boot, but they have them. ONE refusal and the whole course can be lost.

If you are such a good rider that you don't need to follow advice, why are you taking lessons?
mls is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holding A Crop - Weird Problem Smarby English Riding 1 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Crop Use/Pawing - Good or Bad? ButterfliEterna Horse Training 14 05-11-2010 12:00 PM
Difference Between Crop, Stick, and Bat? Equuestriaan Horse Tack and Equipment 20 02-25-2009 11:16 AM
Crop? appy rider 4 life English Riding 11 02-24-2009 01:29 PM
Getting a horse over her crop/whip fears munschk Horse Training 9 03-25-2008 05:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome