Dangerous baby. Ideas needed. - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Dangerous baby. Ideas needed.

This is a discussion on Dangerous baby. Ideas needed. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree1136Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-23-2013, 10:06 PM
      #21
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmpony84    
    Luckily he was not an evil horse.....
    I do not think he is evil, but has the potential to develop "evil" tendencies. Like you mentioned is he very, very smart. He has figured out a way to manipulate people into doing what he wants. He was born a brat, and that I firmly believe. I handled him the first day he arrived at the farm and he was pushy, mouthy, and nasty. All of this could have been corrected with a good solid FIRM foundation. Which he did not receive. He was taught from the first day of his training that HE is in control. His foundation is his own agenda, he out smarted the girl that started him.

    Now that I am challenging him, he is lashing out.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
      #22
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .Delete.    
    How can I do that when I cannot get him to move his feet to begin with? Everytime we re-direct or steer at all he sucks back and rears. Besides, like I previously mentioned. I am not throwing that already unbalanced baby off balance when he is on his hind feet.
    You can't.

    So, you are stuck with a couple choices. Go back to extensive ground work, or go banshee on him while riding. Unless you are as athletic as the hybrid horsemanship dude, and every bit as experienced, I don't recommend the latter.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:09 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boots    
    You can't.

    So, you are stuck with a couple choices. Go back to extensive ground work, or go banshee on him while riding. Unless you are as athletic as the hybrid horsemanship dude, and every bit as experienced, I don't recommend the latter.
    I should give him a call. Maybe he'd fly in from Japan
    farmpony84 and LisaG like this.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
      #24
    Yearling
    I think that if I couldn't get a horse to strike a lope on the ground (as in a round pen or on a long line) by just tapping my leg with my rope and then slow back to a walk and then a stop -without- having to be pulled, rather than just stampeding off or sucking back, I would not put my leg over that horse yet. Though some are braver than I. ;]
    FaydesMom likes this.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
      #25
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian McDonald    
    I think that if I couldn't get a horse to strike a lope on the ground (as in a round pen or on a long line) by just tapping my leg with my rope and then slow back to a walk and then a stop -without- having to be pulled, rather than just stampeding off or sucking back, I would not put my leg over that horse yet. Though some are braver than I. ;]
    You couldn't pay me to ride him in a round pen. I want to stay as far away from walls, panels, etc when he rears. I don't want to be stuck between a horse and a hard place
    SaddleUp158 and crazeepony like this.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:27 PM
      #26
    Green Broke
    Patiently waiting on Cherie to chime in
    LisaG likes this.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:35 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Don't give him the chance to rear. The second you feel him start to suck back change directions disengage that hind end. My guy has forward motion issues you can not give them even that split second to think they are in control. Also do more ground work. I bet he is showing signs of this behavior there also do more transition and get him used to being pressured and a very noticeable release. Good luck
         
        02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
      #28
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
    Don't give him the chance to rear. The second you feel him start to suck back change directions disengage that hind end. My guy has forward motion issues you can not give them even that split second to think they are in control. Also do more ground work. I bet he is showing signs of this behavior there also do more transition and get him used to being pressured and a very noticeable release. Good luck
    I cannot get him to move his feet let alone disengage his hind end. I try to steer him even a little when he sucks back he jumps in the air.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    What is the horses behaviour like in a herd with other horses? Do you have access to water, like a lake or something you could take him in??? If so I would def. Go with him in the water, chest high and make him go forward, there is no way that he can rear badly and the bucks will be hardly noticable, been there, done that... water works wonders if you have a nasty horse!!! The dummy idea is another good idea - been there but did take way longer than the water method which is actually the way the natives used to break their horses!
    Corporal and Bluechi like this.
         
        02-23-2013, 10:41 PM
      #30
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Island Horselover    
    What is the horses behaviour like in a herd with other horses? Do you have access to water, like a lake or something you could take him in??? If so I would def. Go with him in the water, chest high and make him go forward, there is no way that he can rear badly and the bucks will be hardly noticable, been there, done that... water works wonders if you have a nasty horse!!! The dummy idea is another good idea - been there but did take way longer than the water method which is actually the way the natives used to break their horses!
    He is the dominant horse in the herd, constantly picks on the other horses. No, I do not have access to water. I am slightly confused as to how that would help my situation. His problem is moving while being sat on, not being sat on in general.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Lucy is having a baby! And name ideas! wild_spot Horse Breeding 20 01-06-2013 05:14 PM
    Magic's baby...name ideas?! HeatherGavitt Horse Breeding 47 09-24-2012 10:27 PM
    Need name ideas for baby! BarrelRacingLvr Horse Talk 18 09-07-2012 02:08 PM
    Ideas needed! MakaylaSimba Horses for Sale 5 01-01-2012 02:25 AM
    New Ideas Needed gabrielstriumph Jumping 9 11-26-2009 06:59 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0