Does anyone actually know how to train a WP horse? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Does anyone actually know how to train a WP horse?

This is a discussion on Does anyone actually know how to train a WP horse? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    Thanks to those of you could humor me and answer my question :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    A gal in my daughter's 4H group trained her mare from scratch herself. She's quite an amazing little mare, very polished and eye-catching (not because of her color). She just stands out because she's very obviously above the other WP 'hobby' horses in the shows. She's tinkered around with the breed shows and placed several times from what I understand. Point is, this 17yo girl trained her horse herself and succeeded. It can be done, not that it's recommended or the norm. ;)
         
        11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Glad to be of help! :))
         
        11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
      #14
    Super Moderator
    Off topic, but can you explain RFDtv? Is this something you subscribe to online and pay a monthly fee?

    Oh, and by the way, you'd better get a trainer!
         
        11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Kay did anyone actually read the question.. she clearly said she was JUST WONDERING if anyone on here actually knew how to, not wondering how she should go about training her horse. Geez that's annoying.
    Anyhoodle, my coach used to show western pleasure and has taught me the bare minimum's of training for the slower gaits (properly though, not just the little shuffling of the feet). But I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to explain correctly anything in particular. Sorry lol, I came to look on here to see if people actually posted anything and was a little disappointed. Tobyness's post was the only one I actually got something useful out of!
         
        11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    I will try and explain the process I go through to get my horses trained for WP.

    First I start off by getting control of thier body movement. Like steering, two handed and one, turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches, side pass, walk, trot, canter. I want my horses to understand what all the gaits are and be comfortable in them.

    I then work at getting my horse balanced and working from behind. I work on getting collection and ask them to frame and carry themselves properly. Once they have gotten that down then I will ask them to slow down their trot into a jog. I want to find what is right for my horse. If I'm working with my mom's arabian then he is going to have a little more spring in his step then my morgan, it's just who they are and that will never change.

    I work a lot on transitions between walk/jog, stop/jog, jog/walk, jog/stop. When I'm asking my horse to speed up from the walk or stop into the jog I will first ask them to frame and soften before asking for the change in pace.

    Once I have the jog where I want it then I will work at getting a lope. There are many ways to get a nice WP lope and you have to find what works for your horse. One way is to repeat what I've done with the jog but asking for a lope. Start by using circles of every size. Ask for the canter in a good frame, then ask them to slow down bit by bit. Keep them framed so they don't get all strung out. If they lose thier frame/balance they will not be able to maintain a slow lope without breaking gait. Work on moving them in and out of the circle making it bigger and smaller. Once they have that down the I start working on transitions. Again I ask them to frame before asking for the lope. I do jog/lope, walk/lope, stop/lope, lope/jog, lope/walk, and lope/stop.

    The other way I have gotten the slower lope is to work out on the trails. I will ask my horse to jog for a fair distance, walk, then lope for a fair distance. I don't stop the lope until after they are looking to stop, I then push them a little longer (not much) and then ask for the jog for a little and then the walk to give them a break. Once they get thier wind back then we repeat the process. Eventually they will just go straight into a WP lope right away every time because they want to conserve thier energy. For this process I still ask them to frame and soften while working.

    Once I have the gaits down pat then I fine tune thier neck reining (I work on this the whole process but now I focus on it). I want them to neck rein with very little effort on my part.

    Sorry it's so long, but that's what I do and it has worked for all the horses I've trained, with some differences depending on the horse.
         
        11-17-2010, 11:14 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    Off topic, but can you explain RFDtv? Is this something you subscribe to online and pay a monthly fee?

    Oh, and by the way, you'd better get a trainer!
    This is a TV station available on Dish network or Direct TV. I do not think it is available on cable stations.

    They show lots of farms news, rodeo, horse training etc.

    Clinton Anderson & Dennis Reis are two of the better trainers IMO. However, you have to keep in mind that they are usually only showing starting young horses or trailer loading & stuff. Sometimes there are retraining of horses too. They are western riders using Dressage principals as the basis of work.
         
        11-17-2010, 11:17 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silvera    
    I will try and explain the process I go through to get my horses trained for WP.

    First I start off by getting control of thier body movement. Like steering, two handed and one, turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches, side pass, walk, trot, canter. I want my horses to understand what all the gaits are and be comfortable in them.

    I then work at getting my horse balanced and working from behind. I work on getting collection and ask them to frame and carry themselves properly. Once they have gotten that down then I will ask them to slow down their trot into a jog. I want to find what is right for my horse. If I'm working with my mom's arabian then he is going to have a little more spring in his step then my morgan, it's just who they are and that will never change.

    I work a lot on transitions between walk/jog, stop/jog, jog/walk, jog/stop. When I'm asking my horse to speed up from the walk or stop into the jog I will first ask them to frame and soften before asking for the change in pace.

    Once I have the jog where I want it then I will work at getting a lope. There are many ways to get a nice WP lope and you have to find what works for your horse. One way is to repeat what I've done with the jog but asking for a lope. Start by using circles of every size. Ask for the canter in a good frame, then ask them to slow down bit by bit. Keep them framed so they don't get all strung out. If they lose thier frame/balance they will not be able to maintain a slow lope without breaking gait. Work on moving them in and out of the circle making it bigger and smaller. Once they have that down the I start working on transitions. Again I ask them to frame before asking for the lope. I do jog/lope, walk/lope, stop/lope, lope/jog, lope/walk, and lope/stop.

    The other way I have gotten the slower lope is to work out on the trails. I will ask my horse to jog for a fair distance, walk, then lope for a fair distance. I don't stop the lope until after they are looking to stop, I then push them a little longer (not much) and then ask for the jog for a little and then the walk to give them a break. Once they get thier wind back then we repeat the process. Eventually they will just go straight into a WP lope right away every time because they want to conserve thier energy. For this process I still ask them to frame and soften while working.

    Once I have the gaits down pat then I fine tune thier neck reining (I work on this the whole process but now I focus on it). I want them to neck rein with very little effort on my part.

    Sorry it's so long, but that's what I do and it has worked for all the horses I've trained, with some differences depending on the horse.
    This is excellant advice, and yes, a person can train their own horse instead of sending them to a trainer.

    The rider must be willing to study, learn, work hard & make mistakes. It may take longer to train your own horse, but it is very satisfying & you will become a better rider because of it.

    Have fun & good luck
         
        11-18-2010, 07:39 AM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrewCrew    
    A gal in my daughter's 4H group trained her mare from scratch herself. She's quite an amazing little mare, very polished and eye-catching (not because of her color). She just stands out because she's very obviously above the other WP 'hobby' horses in the shows. She's tinkered around with the breed shows and placed several times from what I understand. Point is, this 17yo girl trained her horse herself and succeeded. It can be done, not that it's recommended or the norm. ;)
    I did it with both my first two horses when I was in highschool, so I too know it can be done.... and they were both yearlings :) My first horse is 19 and I was told he has over 200 points in WP, horsemanship, HUS and showmanship and I broke him from the ground up.
         
        11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
    This is excellant advice, and yes, a person can train their own horse instead of sending them to a trainer.

    The rider must be willing to study, learn, work hard & make mistakes. It may take longer to train your own horse, but it is very satisfying & you will become a better rider because of it.

    Have fun & good luck
    I agree that you will become a better rider because of it!! Thanks for agreeing :)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Would you actually pay someone 18 or under to train your horse? BarrelRacer86 Horse Talk 8 10-10-2010 09:46 PM
    Should You Train A Horse? kevinshorses Horse Training 42 02-08-2010 04:39 PM
    Videos: How To Train Any Horse johhhouse78 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 06-02-2009 08:15 PM
    How would YOU train a horse for barrels? BluMagic Western Riding 6 04-25-2008 12:32 PM
    How do you train a horse to go on the bit? Please help!! Emma7442 Horse Training 34 02-23-2008 03:51 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0