Draw, side or sliding reins?

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Draw, side or sliding reins?

This is a discussion on Draw, side or sliding reins? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Draw, side or sliding reins?

What's the difference between these reins? The reason I ask is because a friend of ours was riding her horse with some reins that attached to the girth buckle (western) then ran through the bit (ring at the end of the shank) and around the neck. I was just wondering what kind of reins they were. I wasn't really impressed by the way she was using them but what do I know. It looked a bit harsh to me as the horse had his nose towards his chest and it looked terribly uncomfortable, but I'm pretty ignorant and not familiar with this set up - just observing.

Anyway, just curious.
Sponsored Links
    03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Were they like this?

You probably cannot see but these go over the head and sit at the poll. You tighten them at the poll. Then you put each rein though each side of the bit and attach the end to the girth or girth straps...These are called bungee reins. I use them and they are great! I had them on my horse the other day while lunging her. They were realllly lose but she still held her head very nicely ( Which she usually doesn't do)

Your friend obviously had them too tight or the horse could have been over exaggerating like Lola did.
    03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
No. Instead of going over the poll they went around the horses neck and the rider used them as reins.
    03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Sounds like she was using draw reins - although I can't say i've ever heard of them used with a curb bit (which I assume it was as you said "shank" in regards to the bit"). They can have their benefits but it doesn't sound like they were being used properly in this case, imo.
    03-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Draw reins don't go around the horse's neck though...
    03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Were they like this?

This looks horrendous to me...

These are draw reins that I am familiar with:

ETA-Holy HUGE pic...sorry this was the best Google result!
    03-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Ok I think that last pic was way too big...sorry :(

    03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Dubya - that was exactly what I was thinking (the pics you posted). The reins do go around the horses neck just like regular reins go around. Haha - if that makes any more sense.

OP - are either of those photo examples (particularly the first one) like what you saw?
    03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes! They were just like the first picture Dubya posted. And yes they were used with a curb bit (possibly even a longer shank than the picture). The horse really had his nose tucked in and it just looked so uncomfortable! I don't recall the rider using a tight rein but she would constantly be "popping" the reins. I honestly don't know anything about these or why they are used but I'm assuming they are used to get a horse to set it's head in an attempt to collect?
    03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
So, is the verdict draw reins? Are they used for collection?

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draw reins, side reins, chambon, de gogue...please help Duskylove Horse Tack and Equipment 14 07-06-2012 11:22 PM
Running Reins / Draw Reins. ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 9 04-05-2010 07:29 PM
Side reins Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Tack and Equipment 9 01-15-2010 11:09 PM
Side Reins appylover31803 Horse Training 24 02-04-2008 07:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0