Everyone should see these - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Everyone should see these

This is a discussion on Everyone should see these within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree44Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-06-2013, 12:33 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexS    
    But it doesn't really work that way on a public message board. There is a designated NH section where you could have put this, but you said that everyone must see it, and so you put it in the main training section. Therefore we are entitled to share opinions should we so wish.
    Right, I realize I made the wrong title for it, and I mean yes you can deffinitely share opinions, but if you are going to go against him solely because you don't fully understand what he's trying to do or because you think he's doing it just to make money off it... That's what I meant sorry. And also every trainer markets, that's part of how you get clients
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-06-2013, 02:58 AM
      #12
    Green Broke
    When I posted that I don't get the horsenality thing, I wasn't looking for an explanation. It may be easy for you to understand, I get lost in the terms and remembering what they are and do. I am a simple person and like to keep things simple. A reactive horse gets desensitized and a nonreactive horse gets sensitized. A fearful or overly energetic horse gets desensitized and a lazy or dull horse gets sensitized. It's just that simple. It doesn't need to be more complicated by catagorizing or classifying the horses type first. Just my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Eolith likes this.
         
        01-06-2013, 03:08 AM
      #13
    Trained
    My biggest problem is that the whole left-brain right-brain idea is just wrong. It is based on a study that showed that different hemispheres of the brain did different things - eg, the part of our brain that processes language is on the left. However, our brain is very much built to work as a whole unit, and neither side is dominant over the other. Using language as the continued example, the part of our brain that processes emphasis and intonation is in the right hemisphere of the brain. So if you hear me say "Parelli is AMAZING" and you can detect that I am using sarcasm in that sentence, your brain would be working as a whole unit, as intended.
    Eolith, AlexS, LynnF and 3 others like this.
         
        01-06-2013, 03:11 AM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    When I posted that I don't get the horsenality thing, I wasn't looking for an explanation. It may be easy for you to understand, I get lost in the terms and remembering what they are and do. I am a simple person and like to keep things simple. A reactive horse gets desensitized and a nonreactive horse gets sensitized. A fearful or overly energetic horse gets desensitized and a lazy or dull horse gets sensitized. It's just that simple. It doesn't need to be more complicated by catagorizing or classifying the horses type first. Just my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah, sorry, was just trying to help
         
        01-06-2013, 03:17 AM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    My biggest problem is that the whole left-brain right-brain idea is just wrong. It is based on a study that showed that different hemispheres of the brain did different things - eg, the part of our brain that processes language is on the left. However, our brain is very much built to work as a whole unit, and neither side is dominant over the other. Using language as the continued example, the part of our brain that processes emphasis and intonation is in the right hemisphere of the brain. So if you hear me say "Parelli is AMAZING" and you can detect that I am using sarcasm in that sentence, your brain would be working as a whole unit, as intended.
    Right, just like how our whole body is built to work as one entire unit. Yet eash organ and part does something different. Same thing with our brains. But after knowing about the left brain-right brain introvert-extrovert for over 7 years now and being able to apply it to each horse I see, even on tv and movies, I can tell what state of mind they're in, and what part of the brain they're using the most at that moment. And on relaxed horses it is pretty easy to see what state of mind they're generally in, thus classify them.
         
        01-06-2013, 03:18 AM
      #16
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven    
    Right, just like how our whole body is built to work as one entire unit. Yet eash organ and part does something different. Same thing with our brains. But after knowing about the left brain-right brain introvert-extrovert for over 7 years now and being able to apply it to each horse I see, even on tv and movies, I can tell what state of mind they're in, and what part of the brain they're using the most at that moment. And on relaxed horses it is pretty easy to see what state of mind they're generally in, thus classify them.
    Ok. Well it works for you, so I am happy for you. I prefer to assess each horse individual based on THEM not what PP thinks they should do according to their "horsanality".
    AlexS and boots like this.
         
        01-06-2013, 03:24 AM
      #17
    Yearling
    In school we did test to find out weather we were left brain thinkers or right brain thinkers. Each was different, one was more organized one was disorganized etc etc. We also did tests to find out what kind of learners we were so that we could develop a studying routine/ learning routine that was best suited for each individual student. We did these so that we could be more sucessful and have an easier time in school. Why should it be different for horses? I think it makes total sense. Why wouldnt you find out which ways work best for your horse? If it makes learning and training easier on him and he can understand it better I see no reasons not to. I agree 100% with Parelli and those who are parelli based. Sure parelli seems a bit comercialized sometimes but I believe that it works for horses and their trainers. But like anything everyone has their own way of doing it, who knows maybe its because your a right brain thinker that you don't like the ways of parelli and they don't work for you ;) I personally have been taught by a lady who has learned from Jonathon Field, who is parelli based and has worked with Pat and I think he's wonderful! But everyone and every horse is different, different ways work for different people and horses. I don't believe in one set way to train horses, that would be silly because that's not how the world works!
    Nokotaheaven likes this.
         
        01-06-2013, 03:31 AM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    Ok. Well it works for you, so I am happy for you. I prefer to assess each horse individual based on THEM not what PP thinks they should do according to their "horsanality".
    Okay, thank you. And yes, it is easier for me to judge what they are. Now having said that, just like people they can at times be any of those general classes, not just always one, but in general they fall under a class. Like, I have met a lot of right brain introverts and extroverts, and a few left brain introverts, but only one left brain extrovert. For me, having scientific fact behind it doesn't work, I have to see it actually done with a horse before I actually believe it works. Same with how trainers do things... Actually, I watched a Clinton Anderson video tonight, I like his method and technique, I did learn from it, and I did see what he was aiming to accomplish, but the only thing I didn't like was the whole time he worked with the foal it was fearful of him and what he was doing to it
         
        01-06-2013, 03:33 AM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbstorm    
    In school we did test to find out weather we were left brain thinkers or right brain thinkers. Each was different, one was more organized one was disorganized etc etc. We also did tests to find out what kind of learners we were so that we could develop a studying routine/ learning routine that was best suited for each individual student. We did these so that we could be more sucessful and have an easier time in school. Why should it be different for horses? I think it makes total sense. Why wouldnt you find out which ways work best for your horse? If it makes learning and training easier on him and he can understand it better I see no reasons not to. I agree 100% with Parelli and those who are parelli based. Sure parelli seems a bit comercialized sometimes but I believe that it works for horses and their trainers. But like anything everyone has their own way of doing it, who knows maybe its because your a right brain thinker that you don't like the ways of parelli and they don't work for you ;) I personally have been taught by a lady who has learned from Jonathon Field, who is parelli based and has worked with Pat and I think he's wonderful! But everyone and every horse is different, different ways work for different people and horses. I don't believe in one set way to train horses, that would be silly because that's not how the world works!
    Thank you :)
         
        01-06-2013, 03:51 AM
      #20
    Banned
    Isn't it just the same thing as thinking of a horse as reactive or calm? It's just with a PP spin, so people think it's AMAZING when really it's not at all.
    Chiilaa likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0