Ex Racing horse
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Ex Racing horse

This is a discussion on Ex Racing horse within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • What is an ex charro horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
  #1
Foal
Ex Racing horse

I was thinking about buying a ex racing horse(TB) to train and ride. He is currently 4 yrs old,but have no experience with ex racing horses.

Would this type of horse be recommended by a beginner, or should I just save my money and buy a trained horse or maybe even a colt?

Thanks
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
  #2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by charro    
I was thinking about buying a ex racing horse(TB) to train and ride. He is currently 4 yrs old,but have no experience with ex racing horses.

Would this type of horse be recommended by a beginner, or should I just save my money and buy a trained horse or maybe even a colt?

Thanks
What discipline are you wanting to do?

Regardless, I would say absolutely not.
OTTBs can be very difficult to re train, especially if you have little training knowledge.

I would most definitely save your money and buy a trained horse. You will enjoy it much, much more :)
     
    01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
  #3
Weanling
You mean recommended FOR a beginner? I don't see why you would be looking for recommendations from a beginner so I'm hoping that's what you mean. If you are a beginner or have never trained a horse before do not buy an untrainedhorse and especially not an OTTB. They have very special training needs. For example, they are taught that pulling on the reins means go faster. If you are not aware of these things riding/training one can be a dangerous endeavor. "Learning together" is not fun. If you don't know what you're doing, get a horse that does.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Lyric    
You mean recommended FOR a beginner? I don't see why you would be looking for recommendations from a beginner so I'm hoping that's what you mean. If you are a beginner or have never trained a horse before do not buy an untrainedhorse and especially not an OTTB. They have very special training needs. For example, they are taught that pulling on the reins means go faster. If you are not aware of these things riding/training one can be a dangerous endeavor. "Learning together" is not fun. If you don't know what you're doing, get a horse that does.
Posted via Mobile Device
oh wow I had no idea pulling the reins on him would make him go faster

Sounds like if we really like him, we need to consider a trainer at some point.
Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
     
    01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
  #5
Banned
He will need retraining, every single thing he has been taught under saddle is different from what you would want him to do. I don't think it is a good idea for a beginner to knowingly take on a horse that needs retraining like this.
There are so many horses out there, and so many more that you could fun with straight away.

Good luck with your search!
     
    01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  #6
Trained
Yeah, if your motive is to get a horse for cheap, this will not accomplish it. The thousands you spend on a good trainer to retrain the OTTB will offset any initial savings.
     
    01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
  #7
Foal
Bummer, he just looked so majestic and powerful, sounds like I'm better off investing in a good colt instead.
     
    01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
  #8
Trained
FYI - our first horse was an unbroken Arabian mare. We probably spent $2000 having her trained. The good news? We participated in the training, and learned a LOT about horses. The bad news? $2000 added to the cost of the horse was a lot of money for a green broke horse, and it was months (OK, over a year) before she could be ridden by a beginning rider.

My recommendation? Look for a 15 year old horse, well cared for, but whose owner is going to college, etc. I just sold our first mare (who HATED our gelding) - I took $600 for her since I wanted her to go to a good owner. If you do the math, you'll see it was very bad business doing it my way...although she was a sweet horse when not around the gelding.

The dark one is the one we sold for $600:

     
    01-11-2011, 08:19 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by charro    
Bummer, he just looked so majestic and powerful, sounds like I'm better off investing in a good colt instead.
I wouldn't recommend a colt either, I have many years of horse experience, but I would not be in a huge hurry to handle a stallion. More than that a colt needs to be taught everything, they are babies and don't know how to do anything.
Go for a mare or a gelding aged 8 or so or up.
     
    01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms    
My recommendation? Look for a 15 year old horse, well cared for, but whose owner is going to college, etc. I just sold our first mare (who HATED our gelding) - I took $600 for her since I wanted her to go to a good owner. If you do the math, you'll see it was very bad business doing it my way...although she was a sweet horse when not around the gelding.
i say this too. Look for a nice older horse, whose already trained. You'd have wayyy more fun and won't be frustrated if it doesn't work out with the younger one (training issues, etc.)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse Racing Five Furlongs Horse Talk 6 03-30-2010 08:59 AM
Horse Racing Juptier Horse Shows 0 05-08-2007 05:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0