Finding the right trainer/instructor - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
@wearsbear, the last trainer I've known for years and didn't take my jewelry off before doing business with her. When we met, I wasn't looking for a horse..so the bling was seen.

Another trainer that was helping me to find a suitable horse, pretty much the same thing. Told me to take the jewelry off before we looked at horses, which I did. Then SHE had a horse she was trying to sell me..a nice $1500 horse which she tried to hard sell for $5500. If I'm going out shopping for horses, all the jewelry comes off. I wear my wedding rings daily..like most women.

@Rob, I agree!! People should look at the PERSON and what their goals are, not sizing them up getting a feel for how much cash they can get out of them. We have people come into the store all the time and trust me, you can never judge a book by it's cover. It's so unfair and rude, to all parties involved.

@joachim, I also believe that during a lesson, both parties need to stay focused on the lesson. Not a problem with that, in fact, it'd be less than professional to discuss anything other than what's being paid for. Silly me, I'd assumed that after becoming her daughters god mother we'd stay in contact. Guess I was wrong.

Sorry everyone, I don't mean to whine..eight years and more money than I've spent on jewelry later, I'm looking for direction and am admitedly, gun shy.
rob likes this.
Dark Horse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Anywhere you go where there is a true horse industry, it is a well oiled machine that will get as much money out of you as possible. The thing you have to remember about the rich ladies from these areas is they brag about who has the most expensive horse and publish purchase prices in magazines and online to brag more! Looking poor gets you further lol.

I live in a very small Dressage community so finding trainers is relatively simple because everyone knows everyone, however navigating the political scene is not so simple. I got accepted into my coaches program, I've been riding with her for over 3 years and I don't plan on leaving her until she retires. In my case I did not start riding with a really great coach until I bought a really great horse. Finding a high level coach with lesson horses is fairly difficult unless they are running a riding school. It is often easier to find a lease and then a coach...
In Florida the usual methods of finding a coach often yield expensive results. You may be better off finding a younger, start up trainer whos riding you like, or asking a BNT if they have a student (who is also a coach) they would recommend you to ride with. If my coach is contacted by people she passes them on to one of her students, usually.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
COWCHICK77 and waresbear like this.
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,678
• Horses: 1
I wouldn't wear jewelry around horses, nor dogs. I've had so many of my favourite things destroyed.. lol

But either way the horse industry is down right now so whatever money people can get, they will try anything it seems.

When you find the right person, you'll know!

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Coastal NC.
Posts: 418
• Horses: 1
Try being the trainer/instructor trying to find suitable clients.
That's rough.

Dahlia <3 1/4/2012
nherridge is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,678
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nherridge View Post
Try being the trainer/instructor trying to find suitable clients.
That's rough.
Suitable clients. Can you elaborate?

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM
rob
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raceland, LA
Posts: 631
• Horses: 0
if you are a reliable and honest trainer/instructor,finding suitable clients is not rough,cause your reputation will carry you.
rob is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,477
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
@wearsbear, the last trainer I've known for years and didn't take my jewelry off before doing business with her. When we met, I wasn't looking for a horse..so the bling was seen.

Another trainer that was helping me to find a suitable horse, pretty much the same thing. Told me to take the jewelry off before we looked at horses, which I did. Then SHE had a horse she was trying to sell me..a nice $1500 horse which she tried to hard sell for $5500. If I'm going out shopping for horses, all the jewelry comes off. I wear my wedding rings daily..like most women.
For someone who is trying to make a buck or two as a trainer might see the opportunity to talk you into buying an expensive horse for either board and training of said horse.(not that trainers make anything off of board) They may even talk you into a good enough one they will gain notoriety as a top trainer if they start showing and winning on your horse. There is nothing wrong with that but you need to be aware of it all. If they suggest to you to buy a certain horse, but tell you YOU would do well on him but every time you come to the barn you just get watch him and same at the shows and your goals are not being met then that is deceptive. However if you are fully aware and happy being the owner in the audience having a drink while paying a trainer to do all the work and you get your picture taken with him when they hand over the buckle or statue then that's a different story. You need to be very clear of your goals. Maybe you want to do both, you could buy a horse for the trainer to show in the open shows while you ride a seasoned non-pro horse...something to think about. But your jewelry may be giving off a vibe that is not equal to your pocket book or intentions...something to consider.

I am not trying to make trainers sound like a bunch of thieves, but there is a lot of people that want to do it....eventually they get weeded out because reputation is everything in that business.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is online now  
post #28 of 29 Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Suitable clients. Can you elaborate?

I'm with Sky..what makes a client "suitable"? I understand some clients can be disrespectful of your time, try taking advantage in some ways, etc..and there's always the personality combination of just not being a right fit...however, what makes them "unsuitable"?

I really like what Rob says. In any business, so long as you're honest, acknowlege both your strong and not so strong areas, you'll be successful. Honesty, ethics and integrity WINS every time.
Dark Horse is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
For someone who is trying to make a buck or two as a trainer might see the opportunity to talk you into buying an expensive horse for either board and training of said horse.(not that trainers make anything off of board) They may even talk you into a good enough one they will gain notoriety as a top trainer if they start showing and winning on your horse. There is nothing wrong with that but you need to be aware of it all. If they suggest to you to buy a certain horse, but tell you YOU would do well on him but every time you come to the barn you just get watch him and same at the shows and your goals are not being met then that is deceptive. However if you are fully aware and happy being the owner in the audience having a drink while paying a trainer to do all the work and you get your picture taken with him when they hand over the buckle or statue then that's a different story. You need to be very clear of your goals. Maybe you want to do both, you could buy a horse for the trainer to show in the open shows while you ride a seasoned non-pro horse...something to think about. But your jewelry may be giving off a vibe that is not equal to your pocket book or intentions...something to consider.

I am not trying to make trainers sound like a bunch of thieves, but there is a lot of people that want to do it....eventually they get weeded out because reputation is everything in that business.
I'm not trying to make all trainers sound like thieves, either. Just seems I've found a lot of not so honest ones. This is the most common and talked about theme in this neck of the woods.

I started out wanting to show myself, which is why I bought a seasoned, older, been there done that horse (my first one). If he didn't turn up with lameness issues I'd have kept him. In hindsight, I probably should have renegotiated the price and kept him.

There are lot's of people who love to show off their bling...with their jewelry, fancy horse, trailer, tack and prestigious trainer. I'm not one of those people. Like I'd mentioned, whenever I would go look at a horse or take a lesson, all the jewelry came off. Whenever I'd be around my own horses, for safety reasons and not wanting to damage my rings, etc, it all came off.

Somebody told me that if I sold widgets and had the same dollar amount of inventory that I had in bling..I'd still get looked at as being more well off than I am..simply because it's jewelry. Through me for a loop..had no idea of that perception! Color me clueless !
rob likes this.
Dark Horse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first session with new trainer/instructor? what should we do kait18 Horse Talk 6 11-10-2011 02:27 PM
Help finding a riding instructor!! sweetbelle Horse Riding 5 06-09-2011 11:56 AM
Finding a trainer Lonannuniel Jumping 0 01-31-2011 08:10 PM
Help with a suitable jumping instructor/trainer close2prfct Jumping 12 04-19-2009 11:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome