First ride with a tie-down.. - Page 6 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Zab
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden - the land of carrots and apples
Posts: 1,387
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhoundmom28 View Post
zab I just read the whole post and the comments I agree with the bosals tend to rub a horse with sensitive skin. I have been working with mtiey horse with just a halter on him and he seems to respond to me better the with the bit (he has a verry sensitive mouth) I applaud you for the thought you have put into finding new means in which to ride your horse and train with.

Keninshorses

I own a speed event horse that when rideing ANY speed event he MUST have one this is because he uses it to brace and pull if you where to try to run him without it you would end up with a lap full of horse or at the least a broken nose. Though when we trail ride I do not use it because it is not needed.
Thanks for reading the entire thing instead of jumping to conclusions :)


Always keep your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.


Zab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Zab
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden - the land of carrots and apples
Posts: 1,387
• Horses: 2
I think this needs to be said again:
I'm in no way saying that I'll never use a bit again.
Or that you should do s I do on this matter (
I recommend yo not to actually ;) )
Or that my hands get softer because he feel less of my pulling - however I mean that if I can't use my hands to correct him, I need to use my seat and weight instead. So it is training for me.
I don't say that my horse can't be ridden with a bit, in fact he can be ridden with any bit that I've tried, including several bitless options, snaffles and severe curbs.
In fact, the only problem I ever have with my horse is completely based on his education; example; He don't always get the right canter and he don't know how to do flying lead changes. We've never worked on that this far. He's a trail horse afterall, I'm in no hurry with those things (
I am working on getting the right lead in the canter tho - which has improved since I use my seat more than my hand and focus on sitting right)
Again; I might very well take the snaffle next time I ride, or I'll use the tie-down instead. Or the curb. Anything works on him as long as I handle it right.
I'm not against proper use of severe bits, they usually have another purpose than being severe.
I'm aware of the risks, but I don't agree with everything you say. As you have seen in some replies. And I do know that he can be scared,
I've also seen how well he reacts even on this gentle headstall when he was really scared. We met a tractor the other day and he wanted to run, but stopped, as always, for my very light signals, even as he was actually shivering from fear of this hughe machine. I got off, as I usually do since that makes him calmer and if he panics I can't control him even with severe bits since panicked horses are completely blocked. He stood close to me and let the tractor pass.

I tried something new and it worked wonders and proved to me that I'm going the right way according to my goals :)


Always keep your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.


Zab is offline  
post #53 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brokenheartsville, just north of Styxtown :)
Posts: 2,577
• Horses: 1
Zab, if it works for you, then there is no reason to listen to anybody's imput.

If you were already going to do it anyway than why'd you post this thread?

Glad your horse is so much better behaved then most, which is probably why we are all 'What? Why?'.

Most people are like Slinkies; they serve no real purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on for dear life.
Sunny06 is offline  
post #54 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06 View Post
If you were already going to do it anyway than why'd you post this thread?

.
It's all about sharing information. The title of the post was really misleading but she tried something different and was just sharing. I don't beleive she was actually asking for advice???
RiosDad is offline  
post #55 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
I like trying new things as well Zab. I will switch things around just for the heck of it. I need to make this my mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I'm surprised my horses don't try to eat my credit cards so I can't buy them any new stuff
I do like writing review so maybe my tack barn try outs can help others. I've never seen the set up you posted about so I learned something. Its a good thing


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #56 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Zab
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden - the land of carrots and apples
Posts: 1,387
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
It's all about sharing information. The title of the post was really misleading but she tried something different and was just sharing. I don't beleive she was actually asking for advice???
Yup, just sharing info and telling about what I've done to those who bothered reading.

And the title wasn't misleading at all. It was my first ride with a tie-down, I just didn't use it as you people expected. Which was pretty clear if you just read the post.. if people are supposed to jump to conclusions after only reading the title, why even bother writing anything more? ;)


Always keep your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.


Zab is offline  
post #57 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Zab
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden - the land of carrots and apples
Posts: 1,387
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
I like trying new things as well Zab. I will switch things around just for the heck of it. I need to make this my mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I'm surprised my horses don't try to eat my credit cards so I can't buy them any new stuff
I do like writing review so maybe my tack barn try outs can help others. I've never seen the set up you posted about so I learned something. Its a good thing
Thanks, glad you liked the reading :)


Always keep your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.


Zab is offline  
post #58 of 60 Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,011
• Horses: 24
First off, I want to apologize Zab. When I posted the first time in this thread, I had somehow missed the part that you were getting along better and I thought you were still having problems. That is great that you and Crow are getting along so well. I remember when you sent him off to be trained ;p, it seems like so long ago. I am with you about horses don't get harder in softer headgear. It is the training that makes a horse soft, not the tack. This has actually given me an idea. I have had a tie-down exactly like yours (minus the decorative studs) hanging in the tack room for a couple of years with plans of maybe taking up team roping someday but that is an idea for a reason to use it between now and then. I may end up pulling a copycat on you.

And I have to disagree with kevinshorses. If a horse is truely panicked and has no "emergency brake" in his training (not his mouth), he will run through even the most harsh of bits. You usually don't need to hurt a horse to get his attention. There are exceptions of course but for most, just more pressure is enough to say "Hey, wake up!"

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #59 of 60 Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
And I have to disagree with kevinshorses. If a horse is truely panicked and has no "emergency brake" in his training (not his mouth), he will run through even the most harsh of bits. You usually don't need to hurt a horse to get his attention. There are exceptions of course but for most, just more pressure is enough to say "Hey, wake up!"

I see no disagreement there.
kevinshorses is offline  
post #60 of 60 Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Zab
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden - the land of carrots and apples
Posts: 1,387
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
First off, I want to apologize Zab. When I posted the first time in this thread, I had somehow missed the part that you were getting along better and I thought you were still having problems. That is great that you and Crow are getting along so well. I remember when you sent him off to be trained ;p, it seems like so long ago. I am with you about horses don't get harder in softer headgear. It is the training that makes a horse soft, not the tack. This has actually given me an idea. I have had a tie-down exactly like yours (minus the decorative studs) hanging in the tack room for a couple of years with plans of maybe taking up team roping someday but that is an idea for a reason to use it between now and then. I may end up pulling a copycat on you.

And I have to disagree with kevinshorses. If a horse is truely panicked and has no "emergency brake" in his training (not his mouth), he will run through even the most harsh of bits. You usually don't need to hurt a horse to get his attention. There are exceptions of course but for most, just more pressure is enough to say "Hey, wake up!"
It's ok, we can all misundertand :)
Just be careful, copycating me can be pretty dangerous at times ;)


Always keep your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.


Zab is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My brother's first trail ride :P (and ride) Zab Trail Riding 3 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
All I want is to ride! Goosen Horse Talk 2 07-11-2009 04:47 PM
Good ride to bad ride??? Why toosexy4myspotz Horse Training 4 01-11-2009 10:40 AM
When to ride Jenn454ss Horse Riding 12 11-21-2008 03:40 PM
What bit do you ride in and why? melinda27858 Horse Tack and Equipment 37 11-05-2008 02:00 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome