Fly spray...
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Fly spray...

This is a discussion on Fly spray... within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • What spray does fly hates
  • Flicka horse fly spray

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
  #1
Weanling
Exclamation Fly spray...

I have an ArabianxSaddlebred mare named Flicka. She is a very well mannered horse on the ground except for with one thing...fly spray. She hates it. I don't mean like prances around hates it, like her eyes get huge and she breathes heavy and just freaks out. Even the smell of it just scares her to death. I tried wiping her down with it and she reacted the same way as when I'm spraying her. I've been rubbing swat on areas that the flies are really attracted to but it just isn't cutting it. Any advice would be great.
Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
  #2
Yearling
Is it just fly spray? Does she reacte this way when you spray water from a bottle?
texasgal and morganarab94 like this.
     
    06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  #3
Started
As long as she doesn't have severe reactions to it (talking allergies here) I would work with it as much as possible and make her at least accept fly spray. Is she okay with other spray bottles?

First she needs to be okay with the bottle being against her body, all over her, even if nothing's coming out- the same thing goes for rags to be rubbed down with it. Spray her down with water until she's fine with that. Slowly work your way up to fly spray with the same process.

There's no quick trick, just lots and lots of patience.
xxdanioo and morganarab94 like this.
     
    06-12-2013, 03:28 PM
  #4
Weanling
I know it isn't an allergy because the little spot I did wipe on her nothing happened. I haven't really tried spraying her with water out of a bottle but that is something to try! I will try that this evening. She doesn't mind me rubbing the bottle all over her. I let her smell it and what not. Thanks for the advice I will get a bottle and put some water in it and see if she reacts the same. :)
xxdanioo likes this.
     
    06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganarab94    
I know it isn't an allergy because the little spot I did wipe on her nothing happened. I haven't really tried spraying her with water out of a bottle but that is something to try! I will try that this evening. She doesn't mind me rubbing the bottle all over her. I let her smell it and what not. Thanks for the advice I will get a bottle and put some water in it and see if she reacts the same. :)
Sometimes they don't like the noise/feeling of the spray bottle, and causes them to try to flee. My gelding was like that with the fly spray and show sheen last summer. He's over it now though haha.
     
    06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdanioo    
Sometimes they don't like the noise/feeling of the spray bottle, and causes them to try to flee. My gelding was like that with the fly spray and show sheen last summer. He's over it now though haha.
That's very possible. I will definitley work with her with water instead of using up all my fly spray
FaydesMom likes this.
     
    06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
  #7
Foal
Have you tried using other types of fly spray?
It may be a long shot but some formulas smell different than others. If it's the smell that's freaking her out I'd maybe see if you can find one that has a different type of scent to it. We used to add scent to our fly spray (lavender) because one of my sisters couldn't stand the smell (it made her eyes water).
morganarab94 likes this.
     
    06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi    
Have you tried using other types of fly spray?
It may be a long shot but some formulas smell different than others. If it's the smell that's freaking her out I'd maybe see if you can find one that has a different type of scent to it. We used to add scent to our fly spray (lavender) because one of my sisters couldn't stand the smell (it made her eyes water).
This is what I was kinda wondering too. Because it seems like when she smells it she freaks out. I sprayed some into my hand and let her smell it and she acted out. Is there any types that doesn't have a strong smell to it? I have bronco right now.
     
    06-12-2013, 04:21 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganarab94    
This is what I was kinda wondering too. Because it seems like when she smells it she freaks out. I sprayed some into my hand and let her smell it and she acted out. Is there any types that doesn't have a strong smell to it? I have bronco right now.
I'm not sure what Bronco smells like but what I currently use is Absobine Bug Block and it works wonders, it has kind of a sweet smell to it and the formula is just all around a great fly spray (it literally kills them if they're sitting on the horse when you spray them).

Most of the time if you go into a shop to get a fly spray you can unscrew the top and smell them first.

And maybe if you wanted to get "rid" of the smell the one you currently have has this article has a ton of information :)
3 Ways to Make Natural Outdoor Fly Repellent with Essential Oils
morganarab94 likes this.
     
    06-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  #10
Weanling
Thank you so much! Tonight I am going to see if she reacts the same when I spray water out of a bottle and if she doesn't then I'll know that's the for sure problem. But the fly spray you showed seems to have really good reviews so I think I'll just get some of that this time around anyway! Thanks so much everyone! :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly Spray Help AQHAlove Horse Training 8 08-18-2012 03:15 PM
fly spray socks Horse Grooming 8 05-03-2010 10:08 AM
Fly Spray Rosebud64 Horse Health 11 04-15-2010 09:59 PM
Fly Spray.. IheartPheobe Horse Training 5 06-25-2009 03:09 AM
What fly spray do you use? kchfuller Horse Health 20 06-02-2009 10:54 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0