Flying lead change.....oooops
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Flying lead change.....oooops

This is a discussion on Flying lead change.....oooops within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By spurstop

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
      #1
    Banned
    Flying lead change.....oooops

    Ok......what would I be doing or not doing as a rider to cause a horse to change leads in the front and not in the back during a lead change.....example is riding a real broke horse.......

    (what I least expect.....always happens!)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-22-2012, 09:25 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    How are you cueing it?
         
        11-22-2012, 09:34 PM
      #3
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spurstop    
    How are you cueing it?
    For example.....loping a circle on the left lead (maybe two or three until I feel he's nice and soft and straight) coming out of the circle across the arena (like a serentine) and pushing his hip over to the right to switch leads for the right lead, also kissing to him for encouragement....

    (again....is my horse pulling my chain???)
         
        11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Are you doing anything with your seat, or just trying to shove his hip over and pull him onto a new bend?
         
        11-22-2012, 09:42 PM
      #5
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftXDressage    
    Are you doing anything with your seat, or just trying to shove his hip over and pull him onto a new bend?
    Yes, I'm sitting deep (he's a reining horse) using my outside leg to push his hip over while tipping his nose a little also.....he picked up his front lead....but the back got left behind!!!!
         
        11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Are you opening up for him to move over into the new lead or holding your inside leg tight against him?

    You can push that leg off of him and step deeper into that stirrup to encourage him to move over into the new lead. Also, what are your hips doing? I'm assuming you're riding a western horse, but with the well trained all around (I'm talking pleasure, horsemanship, trail, and WR) horses especially we do so much control with our hips, that if you're just sitting there and using your feet he may not know to swap over, or could be locked up and trapped without that extra help.

    Also, he may be on his forehand and isn't sitting back on his hock like he should be and would need to be to get the change. I'd say to video yourself and see what you are doing and what he is doing beneath you. It's hard to tell what's going on without a video. I would recommend renting Charlie and Jason's video on teaching lead changes and seeing if that would help you.
    DraftXDressage likes this.
         
        11-22-2012, 11:29 PM
      #7
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spurstop    
    Are you opening up for him to move over into the new lead or holding your inside leg tight against him?

    You can push that leg off of him and step deeper into that stirrup to encourage him to move over into the new lead. Also, what are your hips doing? I'm assuming you're riding a western horse, but with the well trained all around (I'm talking pleasure, horsemanship, trail, and WR) horses especially we do so much control with our hips, that if you're just sitting there and using your feet he may not know to swap over, or could be locked up and trapped without that extra help.

    Also, he may be on his forehand and isn't sitting back on his hock like he should be and would need to be to get the change. I'd say to video yourself and see what you are doing and what he is doing beneath you. It's hard to tell what's going on without a video. I would recommend renting Charlie and Jason's video on teaching lead changes and seeing if that would help you.
    Thanks for that! Actually I don't think I've been thinking to open the door with my inside leg enough....guess I've been concentrating on pushing the hip. He's nice and collected up, today I really could feel him 'pop' up to switch leads on the front.....his back end just didn't change along with it......I will get some eyes on the ground, video and perhaps try to relax a bit more....it's a brain drain when your trying to keep everything fluid and moving along nice.....

    Do you think if I do some turns on the fore and counter cantering it would help set him up better?
         
        11-22-2012, 11:37 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    Counter cantering, sidepassing, and basically two-tracking at the lope will help break him up a bit.

    If you are feeling him pop up in the front, then I would venture that he is on the forehand. The change should come from the back.
         
        11-22-2012, 11:59 PM
      #9
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spurstop    
    Counter cantering, sidepassing, and basically two-tracking at the lope will help break him up a bit.

    If you are feeling him pop up in the front, then I would venture that he is on the forehand. The change should come from the back.
    Thankyou! When I first tried him out at his trainers he was seamless changing leads, couldn't feel a thing. I haven't even attempted it yet, as I've been trying to perfect my lope first....today was my first attempt since I got him from the trainer......so now I have some good info to move forward with thanks a bunch!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Flying lead change horse lover 114 English Riding 33 01-03-2012 08:13 AM
    Our First Flying Lead Change!! MySerenity English Riding 6 10-22-2011 02:42 PM
    Help! Flying Lead Change nicole25 English Riding 6 06-30-2011 10:29 AM
    How to do a flying lead change? Sphi English Riding 16 04-25-2010 01:14 AM
    Signal for flying lead change? ljtrowern English Riding 6 06-01-2008 03:30 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0